Author Topic: Flickering and texture bleed on runways  (Read 8829 times)

Dicko

Flickering and texture bleed on runways
« on: June 03, 2011, 01:54:49 pm »
Hi Umberto,

I have just purchased Zurich X to add to KDFW, KLAS and KFJK. I originally had problems with bad flickering and texture bleed with KDFW but this was fixed by yourself with a version 2 of that airport. The other airports do not have flickering runways on approach but LSZH does have it.  Is there a fix for this as this is the only airport from FSDT that seems to exhibit the flickering and texture bleeding on my machine.
I have installer 1.5.2.

Thanks

Andrew Dixon
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 04:07:20 pm by Dicko »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Flickering and texture bleed on runways
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 07:09:18 pm »
KDFW and LSZH don't have anything to do with each other, with regard to this problem, since the ground at KDFW is made with an entirely different method compared to Zurich. I can't see any flickering at Zurich.

In any case, as you can see here ( try to install the Autogen fix as well, it doesn't have anything to do with the flickering, but is suggested anyway ):

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=4107.0

Another user had a flickering problem too, which was fixed by removing the fsx.cfg file (is located at %APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX ) and let FSX rebuild a new one. This means the problem was likely caused by a setting or a tweak.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 07:12:11 pm by virtuali »

Dicko

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 01:44:05 am »
KDFW and LSZH don't have anything to do with each other, with regard to this problem, since the ground at KDFW is made with an entirely different method compared to Zurich. I can't see any flickering at Zurich.

In any case, as you can see here ( try to install the Autogen fix as well, it doesn't have anything to do with the flickering, but is suggested anyway ):

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=4107.0

Another user had a flickering problem too, which was fixed by removing the fsx.cfg file (is located at %APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX ) and let FSX rebuild a new one. This means the problem was likely caused by a setting or a tweak.
Hi Umberto,
MY CFG is fine and all airports, including KDFW,KLAS and KFJK dont have this issue with bleed through on runways and aprons. I tried the autogen fix as you suggested and rebuilt my CFG with no joy. That's OK I will uninstall and wait forthe Aerosoft version.
Thanks
Andrew

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 11:37:05 am »
MY CFG is fine and all airports, including KDFW,KLAS and KFJK dont have this issue with bleed through on runways and aprons.

As I've said, KDFW doesn't have anything to do with LSZH so, the fact that the other airports don't have the problem, doesn't mean much.

I tried the autogen fix as you suggested

I never said it would help with flickering, just that it's best to install it anyway, in order to not lose autogen around the airport.

and rebuilt my CFG with no joy.

This only mean your problem might be different, but of course it was worth trying, because it DID solve the problem for the other user. This means your problem was something else.

That's OK I will uninstall and wait forthe Aerosoft version.

That doesn't make any sense, since if the problem is something else, it won't be fixed by using another airport, you would just waste double the money, without knowing what was the real cause of the problem.

The issue is, the autogen fix was just a test and it's just a small part of a larger update we are working on for Zurich, if you can try the updated file attached here, it would be helpful to know if it improve the flickering. Note this is STILL NOT FINAL, but we are interested hearing any feedback.

TO INSTALL:

put the bgl files in the fsdreamteam\ZurichX\scenery folder and (IMPORTANT) the bglmanx_fsdt.DAT file in the FSX root folder, otherwise you'll get a message about having an outdated Zurich.

Dicko

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 12:53:42 pm »
Umberto,

With all due respect, I think your airports are all quality products. I have an issue with LSZH with texture bleedthrough and flickering on the runways and aprons when viewing the airport on approach or when departing. This stops when I am just about to land. The comparison to KDFW was used to illustrate that I had this same issue which was addressed in an update. Originally you stated it was my system which was the issue at KDFW but it was fixed with an update not by changing anything regarding my setup. I took your advice onboard and implemented what was recommended. You stated the Autogen Fix would not fix the flckering/texture bleedthrough but to try it anyway. What is the value to try another fix which will do nothing for the issue I have?
Obviously for whatever reason, this particular airport doesn't play well with my system. If an update is on the horizon which will fix the problem I have fantastic, if not no worries.
I have airports from FSDT, Aerosoft, UK2000 and Fly Tampa. All work well on my system so I wonder what you mean by
"That doesn't make any sense, since if the problem is something else, it won't be fixed by using another airport, you would just waste double the money, without knowing what was the real cause of the problem."

As I stated, you airports are all quality products and I will most likely purchase KLAX when it is released.

Cheers

Andrew Dixon
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 12:55:25 pm by Dicko »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 01:10:38 pm »
Originally you stated it was my system which was the issue at KDFW but it was fixed with an update not by changing anything regarding my setup

Yes, it WAS your system, fact that we were able to fix it on your system by changing the scenery, doesn't mean it wasn't your system that had the problem in the first place.

KDFW, initially, used Simconnect to handle the ground scenery and, on SOME systems (very few, including yours), because of OTHER addons (like UT2, but not only) clobbering Simconnect with too many commands in a short time, made difficult for our module to "talk" with FSX with enough speed in order to handle the ground scenery without flickering. Under normal circumstances, this shouldn't happen.

What we changed in the KDFW update, was to use a different method which was NOT relying on Simconnect anymore, so it would work even if *other* addons were flooding Simconnect with commands.

I've written this explanation, so you don't have the wrong impression that we "fixed" the scenery, because there was nothing to fix in the first place, we only made more resilient to problems created by *other* addons that used Simconnect in the wrong way, and created the flickering on some systems.

You stated the Autogen Fix would not fix the flckering/texture bleedthrough but to try it anyway. What is the value to try another fix which will do nothing for the issue I have?

I've said THAT Autogen fix, the first one that can be downloaded in the OTHER thread, would not do anything for the flickering.

THIS new file, even if it's named "Autogen fix 2", it's a different file, which INCLUDES the previous Autogen fix (that's why is named that way), but it WILL (or at least it should) also improve the flickering. If it wasn't, I wouldn't have said:

try the updated file attached here, it would be helpful to know if it improve the flickering

in my previous message.

So please, TRY the updated file, and report of ANY difference.

If an update is on the horizon which will fix the problem I have fantastic, if not no worries.

The update will be much larger, this is just a small part of it, that covers minor issues like the Autogen exclusion and (hopefully) the flickering.

I have airports from FSDT, Aerosoft, UK2000 and Fly Tampa. All work well on my system so I wonder what you mean by "That doesn't make any sense, since if the problem is something else, it won't be fixed by using another airport, you would just waste double the money, without knowing what was the real cause of the problem."

We were discussing about ZURICH. If there's a problem in the Zurich AREA (like a conflicting scenery or a setting) , which is specific to your configuration, it won't be fixed using a *different* scenery for Zurich.

Dicko

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 01:18:43 pm »
Thanks Umberto.

Andrew Dixon