Author Topic: No rotating beacons?  (Read 4637 times)

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
No rotating beacons?
« on: April 28, 2011, 04:04:02 am »
Umberto,

It's not a big deal, but I wondered why KDFW and if I remember correctly most of the other airports dont have any rotating beacons? I was at Founders Plaza last night at KDFW watching planes landing and taking off and noticed that their rotating beacon is on the red tower at Founders Plaza. In the FSDT version of KDFW, Founders Plaza is there along with the red tower, but it doesn't have a beacon on it like in real life.

Thinking about it, I dont remember seeing any beacons at any of the other FSDT airports as well, unless you need the scenery complexity slider set to a certain level to see it. Generally, I leave my slider set to Dense or Very dense depending on the airport I am flying into.

Like I said, its not a big deal because I dont need one to find the airport, but was curious as to why they aren't in the sceneries.

skimmer

Re: No rotating beacons?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 12:57:26 am »
Wow , great catch. I rodger that, maybe FSDT will add those. :)

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 09:08:04 am »
Wow , great catch. I rodger that, maybe FSDT will add those. :)

I actually noticed a long time ago and never said anything, but after all this time curiosity got the best of me so I made this post to ask.

I'm surprised Umberto hasn't popped into this thread and said anything.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 08:55:59 pm »
I don't have much to say, default rotating beacons are default library objects and, usually, when people see something from the default library in a 3rd party scenery, they scream "default!" and complain...

This, added to the fact that probably nobody uses the rotating beacon to find an airport nowadays, considering all the advanced navigation facilities even small airplanes have, means probably nobody noticed/complained about the lack of it in any of our sceneries, since I don't think we have a scenery with an airport beacon in it.r

If you find they are really necessary, I guess it's should be an easy enough fix to add.

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 09:29:52 pm »
I don't have much to say, default rotating beacons are default library objects and, usually, when people see something from the default library in a 3rd party scenery, they scream "default!" and complain...

Your probably right that someone would complain that their was a "default" FSX scenery object in the scenery.

This, added to the fact that probably nobody uses the rotating beacon to find an airport nowadays, considering all the advanced navigation facilities even small airplanes have, means probably nobody noticed/complained about the lack of it in any of our sceneries, since I don't think we have a scenery with an airport beacon in it.r

Exactly, that is why I never mentioned it prior. I figured that most people when flying a complex a/c like PMDG or LDS most likely wouldn't be using a rotating beacon to locate an airport.

If you find they are really necessary, I guess it's should be an easy enough fix to add.

Nah, not necessary since no one else seems to have ever mentioned it. If any of us really wanted one we could just use an object placer to add one.

For the most part I was just curious why they weren't there, but like you mentioned, haven't really found the need to have one. Thanks for the reply though.

skimmer

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 05:34:17 am »
I agree with all above .Thanks for the attention to this all.

newmanix

• Beta tester
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 12:03:55 am »
I agree good find. Dont forget LAX has the rotating baecon tower and it is in use. Although I think it will come down and moved when the new terminal is complete as it currently sits in that area... hmm... have to look into that...