Author Topic: cheap (but good) joystick for fsx?  (Read 14183 times)

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
cheap (but good) joystick for fsx?
« on: January 19, 2011, 08:06:46 pm »
hey guys
i had a logitech joystick, but its so old, its melting... lol, the center point keeps tilting even when the stick is untouched, if i apply any small pressure on it, the center marker goes crazy upwards downwards and sideways, and its not callibration problem, its mechanical. so i was using a ps2 dualshock like usb gamepad. its good for most aircrafts on fsx, i use the right analog as joystick, and the left one's horizontal axis as rudder. if the left analog had a vertical axis that would stay in place, to control throttle lets say, then it would be perfect, but it doesnt, so i have no proper throttle control, and have to use buttons. ah, and an unused axis on the left analog :P
anyways, its not really good to control, cuz the analog sticks themselves have a huge built in deadzone, i disabled the deadzone in fsx, but i still have no response for slight movements, guess it has its own hardware deadzone, idk, and whenever i move it a little further, plane thinks im over steering, and banks like crazy. i even reduced sensibility to zero on fsx, but its a problem with the controller probably (wich i paid like 1 dollar lol)

so i wanted to buy a good joystick.. i dont have money for hotas stuff, not even for the saitek x52, but there must have a good relatively inexpensive joystick out there.

i just need a good and stiff stick, not much sensible, and that i can do slight movements and steer smoothly. regular 2 axis + twist + throttle setup will do just fine.

any suggestions? i really appreciate!
thanks in advance.

newmanix

• Beta tester
Re: cheap (but good) joystick for fsx?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 03:37:34 am »
I recommend the Saitek Cyborg X. It has several programmable buttons, it comes apart into 2 pieces, the base folds up for easy travel, and it fits into your backpack if you sim on a laptop. It is also stiffer than the X52 I used to have. Best of all, it's average price is $50 bucks. I have 2 of them. One is used by my stepson the other is in the closet replaced by my Thrustmaster Warthog. Here is a YouTube Vid:

« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 03:40:09 am by newmanix »

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 03:44:37 am »
thanks mate, looks good

but i heard it has a big deadzone, is it right?

newmanix

• Beta tester
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 07:19:30 am »
thanks mate, looks good

The deadzones are what you choose to make of them with the included software. You can also set the default deadzones in FS.

SirIsaac726

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 07:50:01 am »
I happen to love the X45 (or the newer version, the X52) by Saitek.  It includes a throttle "quad" and is amazing quality.  I bought my X45 probably 7 or so years ago and it is still going strong like the day I bought it.

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 11:58:10 am »
thanks mate, looks good

The deadzones are what you choose to make of them with the included software. You can also set the default deadzones in FS.

great!
i was afraid, because my joystick has a built in deadzone, and you simply can't change it...
but thanks man, i'll probably buy this one :)
unless someone comes up with a better cost/benefit joystick... lol

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 09:40:47 pm »
anyone have oppinions about the thrustmaster t-16000M? i heard it has awesome sensors.
i also heard people dont like much the other buttons, but im not really concerned about the buttons, so...
only need some oppinions

thanks in advance

Flyingnut

• Flyingnut
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 12:00:24 am »
I really like the Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X because of the stick/throttle/rudder combo; years ago it was called the Top Gun.

http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-T-Flight-Hotas-Flight-Game-console/dp/B001CXYMFS/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1295564053&sr=1-1

« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 12:02:43 am by beckerm13 »
Marty
PPL - Instrument Rating

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 01:14:28 am »
thanks marty.
it definitely looks nice, but if i was to buy it, i'd buy the saitek fly5 (commonly known as cyborg X, or ps38)
it has dual throttle, and much more buttons. the sensors should be similar, both mechanical, nothing fancy, and im afraid of buying another mechanical stick, because i had like 3 in the last 12 years, and the 3 of them are unuseable, tilting like crazy while in rested position, tilting even more when moving around, first one's stick even jams on some positions, second one's springs are dead, stick will move around with the wind, and third one, my first one with twisting z rudder axis on stick and throttle, is not as bad as the other 2, but still tilts all the time because of its bad mechanic, what makes it unuseable aswell. plus, its throttle axis' resolution has like 16 positions or so lol, so trying to maintain a speed with it is impossible. not to mention that first half of the throttle is dead, so its either like 50%, 55%, 60%....100% thrust, or 0%.

that just to illustrate how many frustrations i had with joysticks in my life, and why im really afraid of buying another piece of crap.

PUP4ORD

• UA777
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 01:32:53 pm »
I really like the Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X because of the stick/throttle/rudder combo; years ago it was called the Top Gun.

http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-T-Flight-Hotas-Flight-Game-console/dp/B001CXYMFS/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1295564053&sr=1-1

That is nice 8)
KENNETH M."PUP"CRADDOCK II
Ladies and Gentlemen please fasten your seatbelts for a short ride......
http://pup4ordfsxmore.blogspot.com/

ALIENWARE AURORA R4 MSWIN7 64BIT  As for the rest of it......?????????

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 08:54:03 pm »
yeah, that one is good, but hows the mechanics? will it start tilting after some wearing?

skimmer

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 05:23:18 am »
How old is that Logitech? I have the same one except its the 3D pro with force feedback. I know you said you do not have calibration problem but there is a setting for spring effect strength that takes care of that loose stick problem.

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 07:54:06 pm »
How old is that Logitech? I have the same one except its the 3D pro with force feedback. I know you said you do not have calibration problem but there is a setting for spring effect strength that takes care of that loose stick problem.

i think its like 3-4 years old, but it has this problem since a year of usage

skimmer

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 10:36:49 pm »
Then you got your moneys worth. I had the same thing happen to my first logitech stick after 2 years. My opinion is get another one. ;D

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 05:32:45 pm »
yeah, i'll get another one, i just dont want it to happen again, or at least not so soon :P
i'll end up buying the thrustmaster t-flight hotas x