Author Topic: Jetways either not reaching, or going through the middle of aircraft  (Read 617 times)

Captain_J

I'm running GSX, the Fenix A320, and only using MSFS2020 default scenery, however I'm finding at a number of Australian airports that my jetways are either not reaching the aircraft, or are going straight through the middle of the aircraft ... or at some airports without jetways all the parking bays say they're too small except that in real life they should all accommodate medium jets.

Examples:
YBCS - jetways do not reach the aircraft.
YPAD - jetways go through the middle of the aircraft
YBHM - all bays too small, even for medium jets
YPKG - all bays too small, even for medium jets

I've tried excluding these airport jetways in the GSX installer, but all that does is change the appearance of the jetways, but the incorrect behaviour of them unfortunately remains.

Given the thousands of airports worldwide, I thought it odd behaviour, because I assumed the default scenery should have correct specs. and dimensions etc. coded into the files - as the airports would probably be bulk-coded structures.

Is this something easily fixable, or are there several airports I may find have the same issue?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Jetways either not reaching, or going through the middle of aircraft
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2024, 02:13:14 pm »
About Jetways:

GSX doesn't have ANY control over how well (or how bad) jetways works, especially if the airport has GSX replacement jetways Disabled, something that should always be done, if the airport is 3rd party or is an Handcrafted/Premium airport. GSX replacement jetways can ONLY be used on bare basic default airports and nothing else.

Assuming your correctly configured the GSX replacement jetways to be Disabled on all airports they are supposed to be Disabled, if the jetway doesn't work, the problem is then completely unrelated to GSX, which in MSFS ONLY sends the standard Jetway Toggle event, and nothing more.

Whether the jetway works (or not), it's completely unrelated to GSX, and it's a combination of your parking position, the airplane doors, how the jetway is modeled and how the jetway is placed in the scenery.

Since one of the things that affect the jetway is your parking position, you can indirectly improve the chance a jetway would work better, by customizing the STOP position in GSX in an airport profile. The manual has a very precise explanation in the chapter named Understanding the Stop position Pages 48-49, no use repeating it here. Of course, this can't fix every possible case, only the ones where the only reason why the jetway didn't work, was how the airplane was parked.

About Parking too small:

GSX just read the parking radius has set in the scenery, and compares it with the airplane wingspan, to decide if the airplane can fit the parking spot. Of course, this is just the default behavior but, there are plenty of places in the manual where is explained how GSX decides if a parking is too small, and the multiple options you can use to deal with it. For example:

- The explanation which tells you can still use a "too small" parking, if you really want, at Page 13.

- The explanation of the Max Allowed Wingspan parking customization feature at Page 39.

- The explanation of the Ignore Wingspan when parking global setting, which is used to tell GSX to always ignore the parking size, at Page 32.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2024, 02:15:22 pm by virtuali »

Captain_J

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2024, 02:27:52 pm »
Many thanks Umberto, I'll look into how I can edit the GSX profiles for these airports - as they are just MSFS default airports. In regard to the parking positions though, these issues were not from manual parking - they were just GSX-selected parking positions (within MSFS default scenery airports).
« Last Edit: July 10, 2024, 02:38:23 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2024, 02:38:28 pm »
In regard to the parking positions though, these issues were not from manual parking - they were just GSX-selected parking positions (within MSFS default scenery airports).

That's exactly what is covered by the STOP position customization option. Which by default is NOT set, if it's not set, GSX will just try to place the airplane center of mass in the center of the parking spot, with some corrections depending if there's a jetway or not, but it's not as having a proper custom STOP position.

But as I've said, if your issue is the jetway not working, setting a custom STOP position will only increase the chance a jetway will work better, but it can't fix all cases, it's very likely you'll still find jetways that are positioned in a way they can't reach the airplane door no matter where you setup the parking position, and there's just nothing we can do in these cases, because it's how the scenery was made and how the jetway is positioned.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2024, 01:38:06 am by virtuali »

Captain_J

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2024, 03:11:18 pm »
Thanks again - that's a great place to start. I've also checked out a tutorial video on editing a GSX profile to fine-tune these types of issues :).