Author Topic: Adding VDGS to my upcoming airport?  (Read 423 times)

Marionettework

Adding VDGS to my upcoming airport?
« on: February 25, 2024, 01:30:56 pm »
I’m working on adding tarmac objects to my upcoming Algiers airport and I’m wondering what to do about the VDGS devices. Their devices look like this:

https://nsa40.casimages.com/img/2019/02/20/190220032244860882.jpg

I was going to model these and add them as scenery objects, then I found Nool’s VDGS and saw its eye-watering cost for the developer, I think I’ll have to pass. Then I saw that GSX Pro has VDGS, but since I don’t have GSX Pro and I’m only considering adding support for it later on, I’m not sure what to do about these devices. Does GSX Pro have SimObjects you add after the fact, in which case I shouldn’t bother modeling them?

Darewell

Re: Adding VDGS to my upcoming airport?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2024, 07:17:14 pm »
Hi,

these objects are included with GSX, so anyone will be able to include them when making a profile for your airport.

And for a personnal note, I always remove Nool objects from sceneries which include them as I prefer using GSX's VDGS.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2024, 11:17:50 am »
While you will find GSX VGDS listed in the Simobjects list in the MSFS DevMode editor, and you can insert them as well, they won't work this way, they'll just "appear" in the scenery, but not active.

To make them work with GSX, you must add them with a GSX Airport profile you can distribute with your scenery, which must be placed in the GSX profiles folder in %APPDATA%\Virtuali\GSX\MSFS

Of course, only users with GSX Pro will be able to see and use the VGDS but, the benefit is that it's completely free for you, as developer.

Marionettework

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2024, 11:06:01 pm »
While you will find GSX VGDS listed in the Simobjects list in the MSFS DevMode editor, and you can insert them as well, they won't work this way, they'll just "appear" in the scenery, but not active.

To make them work with GSX, you must add them with a GSX Airport profile you can distribute with your scenery, which must be placed in the GSX profiles folder in %APPDATA%\Virtuali\GSX\MSFS

Of course, only users with GSX Pro will be able to see and use the VGDS but, the benefit is that it's completely free for you, as developer.

Do these GSX VDGS SimObjects include the poles they’re mounted on, and various styles of adjacent barriers? If not, how do I deal with them as a developer who wants to support both users with and without GSX Pro? I don’t know if I need to add permanent mounting poles and a BGL with dummy systems that can be optionally removed if you have GSX, or just leave out the whole devices and poles. But at my airport the poles are on the tarmac and have these specific barriers around them, it would look dumb if I only partially added them.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2024, 09:13:41 am »
Do these GSX VDGS SimObjects include the poles they’re mounted on

Each VGDS comes in several variants, either wall-mounted, or ground based with a couple of different ground poles. And, there's also a "screen only" version, where you get only the screen, and you can design the rest over it.