Author Topic: What is your favorite FSDT airport and why?  (Read 6739 times)

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
What is your favorite FSDT airport and why?
« on: September 29, 2010, 12:57:07 am »
So far I have bought all the FSDT airports except PHNL and one Cloud9 airport (KMCO).

I would have to say up to now my favorite would be KDFW for a few reasons.

1st, it's what I would consider my "home" airport since I live in Dallas and most of my real world flights originate from it. In fact, in the 10 years I have lived in Dallas I have only flown out of KDAL once. Generally most of my airliner sim flights originate from KDFW, even before KDFW did it.

2nd, on my system it performs much better than the stock version of KDFW while also supplying more detail and looking almost exactly like the real airport.

I must say that for me KFLL is a close second since I vacation in Ft. Lauderdale often and have spent a fair amount of time at the spotting location there and have flown into that airport a lot in real life. Prior to KDFW being released I would have said KFLL was my favorite but now its KDFW. Frankly I am amazed everytime I load up KDFW and spot something new that I hadn't noticed before.

DFW has really given me a lot of sim satisfaction and pleasure. Besides KFLL, I dont think I have enjoyed an addon airport as much as I have enjoyed KDFW since FT released St. Maarten a couple of years ago.

I really tip my hat to Umberto and the FSDT guys for KDFW and really look forward to what they develope in the next few years. The sim (FSX) seems to be getting better every day. In fact, I think I have enjoyed simming more now and in the past few months than I ever have.

skimmer

Re: What is your favorite FSDT airport and why?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 02:52:07 am »
Good reasoning. I'd have to go with LAS. I like the way it's close to great scenery(dwntown Las Vagas).And the mountains provide not only great scenery but at night you better follow atc aproach instructions close and figure slow decent and speed cause you cant always see them. I keep a good minimum 25fps with no micro studering here. Not to mention you can see PEOPLE in some windows. :) Plus its well done with ga hangers and parking. I like landing here and then going directly to KRNO. Oh and after 10 pm there are fireworks ;D I'll be happy to fly from LAS to LAX to. The only airport that gives me a hard time is JFK. Well this is my two cents.

Silverbird

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 04:36:46 am »
So far I have bought all the FSDT airports except PHNL and one Cloud9 airport (KMCO).

I would have to say up to now my favorite would be KDFW for a few reasons.

1st, it's what I would consider my "home" airport since I live in Dallas and most of my real world flights originate from it. In fact, in the 10 years I have lived in Dallas I have only flown out of KDAL once. Generally most of my airliner sim flights originate from KDFW, even before KDFW did it.

2nd, on my system it performs much better than the stock version of KDFW while also supplying more detail and looking almost exactly like the real airport.

I must say that for me KFLL is a close second since I vacation in Ft. Lauderdale often and have spent a fair amount of time at the spotting location there and have flown into that airport a lot in real life. Prior to KDFW being released I would have said KFLL was my favorite but now its KDFW. Frankly I am amazed everytime I load up KDFW and spot something new that I hadn't noticed before.

DFW has really given me a lot of sim satisfaction and pleasure. Besides KFLL, I dont think I have enjoyed an addon airport as much as I have enjoyed KDFW since FT released St. Maarten a couple of years ago.

I really tip my hat to Umberto and the FSDT guys for KDFW and really look forward to what they developed in the next few years. The sim (FSX) seems to be getting better every day. In fact, I think I have enjoyed swimming more now and in the past few months than I ever have.

HI Sean I kind find it strange that you dont like phnl since you own some airports farther then that in Europe. even if you never been there before the approach into phnl is really nice. now with the other islands its even more fun. I would have to say its really hard for me to pick one ,I like them all. but I guess if I had to pick one it would be phnl in Hawaii after that it would be jfk in new york fell owed by klas in Vegas kfll and kord.

I dont own yet dfw or Zurich or Geneva yet. and not even Orlando from cloud9 only because I think it came out at the wrong time so they were limited in what they were able to do at the time fsx was just released and had no groundwork. and believe me I want Orlando kmco really bad I live in that area lol. but eventually I will purchase it since I hate default stuff.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 04:38:31 am by Silverbird »
Cesar

New Jersey EWR

PUP4ORD

• UA777
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 04:54:37 am »
I have to say O'Hare International. I have enjoyed very much flying into and out of ORD. Downtown Chicago serves as a wonderful backdrop for either a day or night flight in a Cessna,F/A18 or just a commercial flight coming in for a landing or takeoff. :)
KENNETH M."PUP"CRADDOCK II
Ladies and Gentlemen please fasten your seatbelts for a short ride......
http://pup4ordfsxmore.blogspot.com/

ALIENWARE AURORA R4 MSWIN7 64BIT  As for the rest of it......?????????

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 05:13:24 am »
HI Sean I kind find it strange that you dont like phnl since you own some airports farther then that in Europe. even if you never been there before the approach into phnl is really nice. now with the other islands its even more fun. I would have to say its really hard for me to pick one ,I like them all. but I guess if I had to pick one it would be phnl in Hawaii after that it would be jfk in new york fell owed by klas in Vegas kfll and kord.

I dont own yet dfw or Zurich or Geneva yet. and not even Orlando from cloud9 only because I think it came out at the wrong time so they were limited in what they were able to do at the time fsx was just released and had no groundwork. and believe me I want Orlando kmco really bad I live in that area lol. but eventually I will purchase it since I hate default stuff.

Hi Cesar. Well it not that I dont like PHNL, because the screen shots of it look nice and I am sure its an excellent scenery, but for some reason I have never had much interest in Hawaii in both real life and in the sim. There's just something about the Pacific ocean and I dont like. Heck even when I was a kid I didn't like the show Magnum PI or Hawaii 5-0 because it was in Hawaii, lol.  As far as islands and tropics go, I am more interested in the caribbean areas like St. Maarten, or Latin desintations near the ocean like those of Central and South America. Plus the fact that for me the flights to the caribbean from KFLL, KMIA, KMCO, and TJSJ are much closer than those of KLAX to PHNL. Although I would use time compression, I still just dont have an interest in it. I feel kind of the same way about PANC, just too far away from everthing for my taste. You never know though, at some point I will probably buy it for something new to try.

As far as the Euro stuff I own it is far away from the US like you mentioned, but typically when I fly in Europe its from cities or countries within Europe, not trans-Atlantic flights. I do a lot of shorter flights there usually between Austria,Germany, Switzerland, France, Portugal, Spain, etc. Most flights from any of these countries to Geneva or Zurich are only between 1 and 3 hours. Plus the whole way I have mountains to look at and other stuff. Going 8 hours to PHNL from LAX/SEA is all just water and not much to gaze at while I fly.

You should buy KMCO, even without having the custom ground its still way better than the default. Maybe at some point when FSDT has populated more cities they could revisit KMCO and just add a custom ground layer. I fly to KMCO a lot in the sim as well from KDFW, or FLL to MCO is a nice little flight.

newmanix

• Beta tester
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 08:26:28 am »
Getting back to your topic my choice is LSZH. It was the very first airport I ever visited out of the US and I was so impressed with how cool an airport could be. It was the same year Dock E opened and I flew on the first A343 delivered to Swiss. Besides that, it's quality is superb and included features FSDT's sceneries no longer include in FS9. But I don't complain. I am just glad FSDT is still making FS9 sceneries and I will continue to show support for FS9 products.

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 05:40:02 pm »
You never know though, at some point I will probably buy it for something new to try.

If you buy it with the new Hawaii pack, you save 20%.  Now is the time.   ;)
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

bradl

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 08:34:54 pm »

I'd have to go with KLAS as well.

1. It's home. Not often that with McCarran being so detailed (bloody hell, you can follow the tram down to the tunnel for the D gates! Or better yet, drop off people (by plane, obviously! ;) ) at the ticket check-in, or tour Signature), but combined with the LAS2004 scenery, the aforementioned downtown LAS scenery and BlueSkyScenery's LAS HiRes and Low-Res sceneries, when you get a very accurate depiction of the entire Las Vegas valley. Besides.. It says a lot when you can pick out exactly where you live in the scenery you're using.

2. Performance. ~40-55fps with traffic using an eVGA NVidia GTX460. I was getting similar (~30-40fps) with my 8800GT, though I did lock that to 60fps. No stuttering whatsoever.

3. Finally, a decent scenery to run LAS in Configuration #6. Can you say 'Right Traffic visual approach runway 19L'? In short, fly in from the west or from the south, roughly 10DME west of the field (puts you over Redrock Canyon). Abeam the Stratosphere tower, fly your base leg to the 19s. Turn to final, and you're done. This is one of the traffic patterns they use in the summer, when they land and depart to the east and south. What makes this fun is that there are rides at the top of the tower (roller coaster, ride that hangs off the tower, death drop on the needle, and most recently, a 50 - 100ft drop off the tower). So to see a Gulfstream, Falcon, B737, etc, coming at the tower while you're on the ride is a rush.

BL.

newmanix

• Beta tester
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 09:43:16 pm »

I'd have to go with KLAS as well.

1. It's home. Not often that with McCarran being so detailed (bloody hell, you can follow the tram down to the tunnel for the D gates! Or better yet, drop off people (by plane, obviously! ;) ) at the ticket check-in, or tour Signature), but combined with the LAS2004 scenery, the aforementioned downtown LAS scenery and BlueSkyScenery's LAS HiRes and Low-Res sceneries, when you get a very accurate depiction of the entire Las Vegas valley. Besides.. It says a lot when you can pick out exactly where you live in the scenery you're using.

2. Performance. ~40-55fps with traffic using an eVGA NVidia GTX460. I was getting similar (~30-40fps) with my 8800GT, though I did lock that to 60fps. No stuttering whatsoever.

3. Finally, a decent scenery to run LAS in Configuration #6. Can you say 'Right Traffic visual approach runway 19L'? In short, fly in from the west or from the south, roughly 10DME west of the field (puts you over Redrock Canyon). Abeam the Stratosphere tower, fly your base leg to the 19s. Turn to final, and you're done. This is one of the traffic patterns they use in the summer, when they land and depart to the east and south. What makes this fun is that there are rides at the top of the tower (roller coaster, ride that hangs off the tower, death drop on the needle, and most recently, a 50 - 100ft drop off the tower). So to see a Gulfstream, Falcon, B737, etc, coming at the tower while you're on the ride is a rush.

BL.

The roller coaster is long gone but I have been on that ride that spinns you off the side. Very scary going that fast while your feet dangle over the street far below...

SirIsaac726

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 03:44:26 am »
My favorite is either Chicago or New York.  New York because I've been in and out of there numerous times (all on JetBlue) and, even though most of my trips through there were delayed, I got to see tons of cool airlines and planes I wouldn't normally see.  Chicago because I love the city and I've flown into O'Hare numerous times.

Silverbird

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 07:47:29 pm »

Hi Cesar. Well it not that I dont like PHNL, because the screen shots of it look nice and I am sure its an excellent scenery, but for some reason I have never had much interest in Hawaii in both real life and in the sim. There's just something about the Pacific ocean and I dont like. Heck even when I was a kid I didn't like the show Magnum PI or Hawaii 5-0 because it was in Hawaii, lol.  As far as islands and tropics go, I am more interested in the caribbean areas like St. Maarten, or Latin desintations near the ocean like those of Central and South America. Plus the fact that for me the flights to the caribbean from KFLL, KMIA, KMCO, and TJSJ are much closer than those of KLAX to PHNL. Although I would use time compression, I still just dont have an interest in it. I feel kind of the same way about PANC, just too far away from everthing for my taste. You never know though, at some point I will probably buy it for something new to try.

As far as the Euro stuff I own it is far away from the US like you mentioned, but typically when I fly in Europe its from cities or countries within Europe, not trans-Atlantic flights. I do a lot of shorter flights there usually between Austria,Germany, Switzerland, France, Portugal, Spain, etc. Most flights from any of these countries to Geneva or Zurich are only between 1 and 3 hours. Plus the whole way I have mountains to look at and other stuff. Going 8 hours to PHNL from LAX/SEA is all just water and not much to gaze at while I fly.

You should buy KMCO, even without having the custom ground its still way better than the default. Maybe at some point when FSDT has populated more cities they could revisit KMCO and just add a custom ground layer. I fly to KMCO a lot in the sim as well from KDFW, or FLL to MCO is a nice little flight.

Hi Sean, sorry for late reply I totally understand, I just realised that while some simmers wanted panc I dont think I will purchase that one when it comes out, at least not soon. l

Like you mentioned something doesn't really grab me too that part of the world,  phnl is mostly because I did go visit there twice in my life, and had a good time, so memories are attached to it. but I did find Hawaii interesting before my visit to the island, but I admit your missing out on the island hopping. ;) I will definitely buy kmco like you said its way better then default its really a beautiful airport and I'm not saying that because I live 10min away from it lol.
Cesar

New Jersey EWR