Author Topic: Using FSDT Installer, I can't open manual  (Read 1385 times)

hawkhero

Using FSDT Installer, I can't open manual
« on: January 22, 2023, 12:01:24 pm »
Hi, Using the installer I can update FSdreamteam add ons. But when I click the manual button nothing happens. The manuals do not open. I have the latest Acobat reader installed.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Using FSDT Installer, I can't open manual
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 12:52:01 pm »
I can confirm the manual button works and opens Acrobat reader with the manual.

If it doesn't work for you, you can find it here:

\Addon Manager\couatl\GSX\GSX_manual_MSFS.PDF

hawkhero

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 03:03:57 pm »
Do you know why it would not open? I reinstalled Acrobat. Should I try reinstalling the FS installer?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2023, 07:16:22 pm »
Do you know why it would not open? I reinstalled Acrobat. Should I try reinstalling the FS installer?

No, it's nothing that is related to the FSDT installer, since it will just open whatever PDF reader is registered with the system, it doesn't know or care which reader you have, or even if there's no reader registered, it will just "start" the .PDF, which means starting with its reader opened with it.

TomAce

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2023, 01:55:44 pm »
Hi, I have the same problem. Can open PDF files normally. But when I open FSDT Installer and try to open the PDF manual for GSX nothing happens. I then have to go close FSDT Installer and go to CTRL - ALT - DEL and close the Adobe application manually. If I then try to open any PDF files it works again.
For me it is the FSDT Installer that corrupts the Adobe application.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2023, 05:58:39 pm »
For me it is the FSDT Installer that corrupts the Adobe application.

It surely doesn't because, if it really did, you wouldn't be able to open .PDF files anymore, which is not what you said it happened. According to your report, it seems the Acrobat Reader seems to crash when started from the FSDT Installer, so you need to close it manually.

As I've said in my previous reply, the FSDT Installer doesn't know which reader you have, doesn't try to start it, doesn't even know if you have a PDF reader to begin with. It JUST use the standard Windows command to "start a file", which in simple words means:

"dear Windows, I would like to start this .PDF file, I have no idea how you normally open .PDF file so, could you please try to open it for me, using whatever program you have registered to open such files ?"

There's zero direct interaction between the FSDT installer and the actual Reader program, so I can only guess your issue might be caused by some other program interfering, like an antivirus, that might have decided to block that otherwise perfectly legit operation so, the usual suggestion is to first add the whole Addon Manager folder to the antivirus EXCLUSIONS, which usually fix most of the issues.

TomAce

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2023, 09:44:44 pm »
I have been doing some research:

Adobe doesn't open when Coutl_Updater2 is running in Task Manager. It doesn't matter if I try to open a PDF inside or outside of FSDT installer. I have never hade any issues with opening PDF files before. I have the latest version of Adobe Reader installed and I have also removed Adobe and reinstalled it fresh from Adobe's home page.
I have never had any anti virus installed on my computer - only using Microsoft Defender.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2023, 10:44:11 pm »
I have never had any anti virus installed on my computer - only using Microsoft Defender.

Windows Defender IS an antivirus, fact it's included doesn't mean you don't have to configure it too. Just try adding the whole Addon Manager folder to the antivirus EXCLUSIONS, and see if it makes any difference.