Author Topic: GSX sound issue  (Read 4061 times)

deepdiver

GSX sound issue
« on: November 02, 2022, 06:29:47 pm »
Hey all!
I bought GSX Pro a few days ago and it works perfectly most of the time. Great product!  :)

However, I had to find out that I don't hear any boarding sounds, nor does the pushback driver talk to me before/during/after the pushback. However: I can hear the lady talking, giving me status updates like "Boarding requested" etc. perfectly fine! I opened the settings and saw that GSX doesn't find the correct audio output source. In the window states "<no audio>" and I cannot choose any other source.
My headphone is detected by Windows and is set as my standard output device and every single program I run seems to identify the correct source. I've tried reinstalling it a couple of times - even via the offline installer. Without success.
Attached you can find photos of the issue I am having (the "NVIDIA High Definiton Audio" is my Monitor audio source)

I hope that somebody can help me fixing the issue so that I can enjoy GSX Pro to it's full extend.
Thanks in advance!
Julian

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX sound issue
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2022, 06:31:55 pm »
It seems some of your audio devices don't support OpenAL, which is required by GSX sounds to work. It's very likely an issue of drivers, sometimes the default Windows drivers are better than the specific ones, sometimes it's the opposite, when OpenAL support is concerned.

deepdiver

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2022, 06:37:34 pm »
Hi!
Thank you for your quick response!

I have a Sound BlasterX G6 external sound card.
It would be very disappointing if I could not get the sound to work because I bought the product because I knew the ambience is very nice soundwise. I also didn't see any warnings that certain drivers or hardware products may not work with GSX.
I would appreciate if somebody could tell me what steps to take in order to get GSX to work as it's inteded to do.

Thank you!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2022, 06:39:53 pm »
It would be extremely unlikely a Sound Blaster wouldn't support OpenAL, because Creative Labs was the main sponsor for that standard. So, as I've said, be sure you have the correct and most updated drivers.

deepdiver

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2022, 06:41:31 pm »
I've just checked both windows optional updates and drivers and the firmware and driver via the Soundblaster Command Center. Every driver and software is up to date.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2022, 06:45:38 pm »
I've just checked both windows optional updates and drivers and the firmware and driver via the Soundblaster Command Center. Every driver and software is up to date.

Then I'm afraid you need to search and/or enquire with Creative Labs what to do to enabled OpenAL support on that card. GSX is completely unaware of the exact audio hardware you have: the only requirement is that it must support OpenAL, otherwise it won't be shown there.

deepdiver

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2022, 06:48:52 pm »
I also tried connecting the headphone directly to the PC audio ports. It also didn't find the headphones...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2022, 10:00:40 am »
I also tried connecting the headphone directly to the PC audio ports. It also didn't find the headphones...

Whenever you add a new audio device, you should always restart GSX ( restart Couatl from the Tray bar icon ), because connecting an audio device after the program has started is not supported.

deepdiver

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2022, 11:14:54 am »
I didn't add any new audio devices while the Sim or Couatl was running ^^

Also: I just installed OpenAL via a link provided by the Creative support - and it indeed shows up in the Control Panel.
Unfortunately I still don't see my audio device in the GSX settings.
I hope somebody has an idea what could be wrong.

Kind regards!

deepdiver

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2022, 06:01:02 pm »
Hey, issue solved!

The problem was that it seems like OpenAL only supports up to 176 kHz (at least that's the maximum I could select in the Soundblaster software. Beyond that value it stopped working).
Just thought that might be an interesting fact to know if anyone reports that issue again.

Kind regards,
Julian