Author Topic: GSX Pro addon linker  (Read 1038 times)

kev649

GSX Pro addon linker
« on: October 27, 2022, 07:22:32 pm »
Hi Umberto

I have tried and tried to get gsx pro to work with addon linker so i can store the Community folder data on my other drive.
I have tried several different ways to get the thing to work but no luck, when i select gsx in the sim, the gsx window opens for a second then closes.
If it's the case were addon linker just doesn't work with gsx then can you let me know and i will stop trying, otherwise if there is a way to get it working, can you tell me the correct procedure.

Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX Pro addon linker
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2022, 12:24:23 pm »
I have tried and tried to get gsx pro to work with addon linker so i can store the Community folder data on my other drive.

But that's precisely how GSX Pro is installed by default! It doesn't install *anything* in the Community folder, it will only create a Symbolic link to its own "real" installation folder, that is under \Addon Manager\MSFS, and the Addon Manager itself can be in any drive.

So, basically, you don't even need to use the Addon Linker to do something that GSX already does automatically and not only that, if you start the Addon Linker after installing GSX Pro, you'll see it has already recognized it as being "linked", showing the two GSX packages in the Community folder in Green color.

What neither GSX or the Addon Linker can't do, is to let you use an External drive that is not formatted in NTFS, for example an USB drive that ships formatted in Fat32 or ExFat. Those filesystems don't support Symbolic links to folders, so you can't put the Community there and expect either GSX OR the Addon Linker being able to handle links there. The only way to use any drive for the Community folder and use Symbolic links to something that is installed elsewhere, is to format the drive as NTFS.

Other than that, if the drive you have the Community folder on is formatted in NTFS, there's no reason GSX won't work together with the Addon Linker, but keep considering there's just nothing you have to "do" in the Addon Linker to use GSX: it's just already symbolically linked by default.