Author Topic: Menu loading and loading and loading...  (Read 4075 times)

StephanG2312

Re: Menu loading and loading and loading...
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2022, 12:10:14 pm »
But if SU10 Navdata API doesn't change my situation (that I have to restart couatl at origin airport before I can access the menu), why should I use it? With all necessary respect, but what should I think about a developer who tells me I have to interrupt my flight everytime to restart something to make a software work? Sorry, this is not acceptable. I guess it's better that I pause using GSX until it is no more beta!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2022, 12:51:24 pm »
But if SU10 Navdata API doesn't change my situation (that I have to restart couatl at origin airport before I can access the menu), why should I use it?

Please clarify: are you having this problem regardless of the SU10 Navdata being used or not ?

With all necessary respect, but what should I think about a developer who tells me I have to interrupt my flight everytime to restart something to make a software work?

Why you think you have to interrupt your flight ? You can restart at any time, without the slightest effect on the flight.

We made the Couatl engine be started and restarted because we assumed most user would *want* to quit it intentionally after takeoff, to save even the tiniest bit of performance, since it's clearly not required in flight, and they would restart it before or shortly after landing.

Sorry, this is not acceptable. I guess it's better that I pause using GSX until it is no more beta!

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here: nobody said it will remain like this. I clearly said Until we'll understand more, does it sound a "definitive" solution to you ?

Using the Navdata API IS clearly advertised as a Beta, which is why by default is disabled. But if you are getting the same problem regardless if you use it or not, than perhaps YOUR problem is DIFFERENT, and it's not really related to the Navdata API.

But it wasn't really clear from your message. Please confirm you are getting *exactly* the same problem, that is the Couatl engine disappearing during the flight, even with the Navdata DISABLED.

StephanG2312

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2022, 01:15:06 pm »
Please clarify: are you having this problem regardless of the SU10 Navdata being used or not ?

Yes, exactly.

Why you think you have to interrupt your flight ? You can restart at any time, without the slightest effect on the flight.

Ok, interrupting not in the meaning that I have to pause MSFS, but I have to keep it in mind every flight. If I forget, it takes me again time to start Couatl and wait for the menu to appear after arrival at the gate which compromises my flightsim experience. If you deem that as neglectebale, your opinion.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here: nobody said it will remain like this. I clearly said Until we'll understand more, does it sound a "definitive" solution to you ? Using the Navdata API IS clearly advertised as a Beta, which is why by default is disabled. But if you are getting the same problem regardless if you use it or not, than perhaps YOUR problem is DIFFERENT, and it's not really related to the Navdata API.

Didn't say that. Couatl does not disappear during flight if SU10 API is disabled. But once again, this is not my prior problem but the problem with the menu at start of flight.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 01:57:12 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2022, 02:00:48 pm »
If I forget, it takes me again time to start Couatl and wait for the menu to appear after arrival at the gate which compromises my flightsim experience. If you deem that as neglectebale, your opinion.

You only have to "wait" a few seconds to restart it, especially if you use the Navdata API so yes, it is neglectable in my opinion. In fact, it was the way we assumed most users would use GSX anyway.

Didn't say that. Couatl does not disappear during flight if SU10 API is disabled. But once again, this is not my prior problem but the problem with the menu at start of flight.

We are finally getting there. So no, you don't have the same issue depending if Navdata is enabled or not, which at least is consistent and something to work on. However, it is always fixed by restarting Couatl ?

P.S.
Please try to quote in a sane way, the way I edited your post, and don't use colors.

StephanG2312

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2022, 02:28:24 pm »
You only have to "wait" a few seconds to restart it, especially if you use the Navdata API so yes, it is neglectable in my opinion. In fact, it was the way we assumed most users would use GSX anyway.
And that's exactly the issue: Not in my case! I have to wait until I restarted Couatl at least once after I started it again shortly before or after landing to get the menu to work. Same behaviour as after starting the flight.

We are finally getting there. So no, you don't have the same issue depending if Navdata is enabled or not, which at least is consistent and something to work on. However, it is always fixed by restarting Couatl ?
Yes. Sometimes it needs 2 restarts, but mostly it works after the first one, but never initially.

So the big question is very simple: What hampers the menu to appear after the start of the software?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2022, 02:48:48 pm »
And that's exactly the issue: Not in my case!

Please note my sentence: You only have to "wait" a few seconds to restart it, especially if you use the Navdata API. Do you mean in your case it always takes much longer, even if you DO use the Navdata ?

Because, NOT using the Navdata API will surely result in a slower start, because it will need to load the airport cache and check for any possible changes to decide if it requires being regenerated, and this might take longer, depending how many sceneries you have installed.

And, in this case, if you try to Restart *before* the airport cache has been loaded, it might let you think you need a 2nd restart, when in fact you only had to wait a bit longer. And no, since the airport cache is loaded in a separate thread, it's not always certain the cache is really ready just because the tooltip over the Couatl icon says so, the reasons are complex to explain and are related to how the tray bar notification are works, but it's the way it is.

However, when you DO use the Navdata API, the startup shouldn't take more than a few seconds, since no Community folder is read, no airport cache is used, it just starts and connects to the sim, waiting for Simconnect to reply with the data about the airport.

StephanG2312

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2022, 02:57:38 pm »
Yes, exactly, that's what I try to explain. It takes much longer after initial start when starting a flight as well as after starting it again when the flight comes to an end. No matter if Navdata is enabled or not.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 02:58:09 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2022, 03:01:17 pm »
It takes much longer after initial start when starting a flight as well as after starting it again when the flight comes to an end. No matter if Navdata is enabled or not.

"No matter" you mean it takes exactly the SAME (long), regardless if Navdata is enabled or not ? You should at least see some difference.

If yes, the only thing I can think of that can slow down the Navdata, is Simconnect too swamped by too many connections ( AI traffic injectors, for example, but not only those ), that it doesn't have enough time to talk with everybody, so it returns data with some delay.

And of course, the usual suggestion of being sure the whole Addon Manager folder is added to the antivirus Exclusion is always valid.

StephanG2312

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2022, 03:06:16 pm »
The menu never starts initially. I can wait for an hour (believe me, I tried it), nothing happens until I restart Couatl at least once.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 03:08:00 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2022, 03:09:01 pm »
The menu never starts initially. I can wait for an hour (believe me, I tried it), nothing happens until I restart Couatl at least once.

Do you mean:

- Couatl starts together with the sim, but it doesn't load the menu until you Restart it manually

OR

- Couatl doesn't start with the sim

StephanG2312

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2022, 03:10:31 pm »
Option 1 is the case. It starts with the sim but the menu doesn't load until restart.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 03:11:07 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2022, 03:13:20 pm »
Option 1 is the case. It starts with the sim but the menu doesn't load until restart.

Then I'm afraid to be out of explanations because, right now, you are the only one with this particular problem that, if I understood correctly again is:

Regardless of using Navdata or not, even if Couatl starts normally, you don't see the GSX menu until you restart it at least once AND, in addition to that, it doesn't take the normal few seconds to start, but an unspecified longer amount of time, every time, even when it works.

Is this last description of the problem accurate ? If yes, nobody has ever reported it exactly this way before.

StephanG2312

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2022, 03:18:14 pm »

Then I'm afraid to be out of explanations because, right now, you are the only one with this particular problem that, if I understood correctly again is:

Regardless of using Navdata or not, even if Couatl starts normally, you don't see the GSX menu until you restart it at least once AND, in addition to that, it doesn't take the normal few seconds to start, but an unspecified longer amount of time, every time, even when it works.

Is this last description of the problem accurate ? If yes, nobody has ever reported it exactly this way before.

Yes, unfortunately it describes the problem correctly.

StephanG2312

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2022, 06:32:19 pm »
I meanwhile found out that if I prevent that Couatl is started by MSFS but when I start it manually, the menu appears with the initial start, no restart of Couatl necessary. It might also make a difference if I start MSFS with admin rights or without. Have to make some more tries to confirm that.