Author Topic: Vehicle point for baggage truck issue  (Read 1590 times)

GERAirborne272

Vehicle point for baggage truck issue
« on: September 07, 2022, 03:00:53 pm »
I searched the forum for this topic. But couldn´t find.
I just created a GSX Profile for ASOBO EDDF Premium. I did Gates A, B, C, D and E and also the Ramps S401 to 420. Damm...I haven´t testet boarding earlier.

There is an issue with the baggage trucks. When requesting boarding at some Gates and all Ramps the trucks driving to the vehicle point (where the busses come from). Then they turn around and come back. EDDF is quite big. I know it is an airport gsx can´t read the bgl. But why don´t behave the baggage loaders and stairs the same? They drive straight to the aircraft? What is the difference between them?

That's not a complaint. GSX has taken MSFS to the next level. I know that MSFS coding is very different compared to other flight sims.

Update: I just checked at Aerosoft EDDB. Same behavour. I get the feeling that gsx triggers the baggage trucks like vehicles. It would be great if gsx would trigger them like the loaders and stairs until there is coming another solution. It is not a big deal boarding a 748, but boarding a crj is a nightmare because of waiting time for the baggages.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 05:17:25 pm by GERAirborne272 »

GERAirborne272

Re: Vehicle point for baggage truck issue
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2022, 08:26:34 pm »
Am I the only one here with this question?

karlschen

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2022, 10:23:31 pm »
same me......

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2022, 01:51:53 pm »
Quoting from the GSX Manual, Page 15:

Waiting times for vehicles like Catering, Bus or Refueling trucks

All GSX vehicles that comes from away, by default are spawned from other Parking spots of the “Vehicle” kind, with the Fuel Truck starting from the “Fuel” Parking types instead. They try to use taxiway paths of the “Vehicle” type, which in real life are also used to provide safe paths for service vehicles without affecting airplane traffic. The “vehicle” paths are given an higher weight in the pathfinding algorithm, so even if the route is longer, GSX vehicles will try to use the proper paths, if possible, and there’s no other route, they’ll use regular taxiways or even runways, when no other route is available to reach your parking spot. This might result in some waiting time, depending how the airport is made, large airports usually have several areas with many vehicle parking spots each, but airports in the MSFS world are not always well designed, when ground services are concerned.

Some GSX vehicles spawn from your parking spot, because in reality things like stairs or pushback trucks are stored very close to each parking spots.

However, other vehicles, like full baggage carts used during Boarding and Catering trucks, realistically come from other parking spots, because they are supposed to come from other buildings like the baggage handling or the catering facilities, so it would be wrong if they pop-up in front of you.

And of course, they should come from parking of the "Vehicle" kind, because, on a properly designed airport, these are connected to paths of the "Vehicle" kind, which would ensure a proper flow of ground service vehicles that won't clash with airplane traffic on real taxiways, that's why there are dedicated vehicle path in real world.

And that's why GSX assigns more importance to vehicle path, even if the route is longer, so its vehicles could stay away from airplane taxiways as long as possible.

The key here is "on a properly designed airport", because while in real life there are multiple clusters of dedicated parking zones for ground vehicles, and vehicle paths are many, that's not always the case with MSFS airports, which might not be designed with the same care for ground vehicles.

GERAirborne272

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2022, 09:15:07 am »
I read the part in the manual. I just hadn't thought that the baggage trucks would also be affected.

Like the stairs, these pop up at the plane's parking position and drive away. That looks unrealistic. It would be better if the trucks are treated like stairs. In the GSX editor we can then place them a little further away on a path. This is just a suggestion for this MSFS problem with the vehicle positions.

karlschen

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2022, 10:27:00 am »
I would prefer that the luggage trolleys would not leave at all, but would already be standing on the plane with luggage.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2022, 11:30:43 am »
I read the part in the manual. I just hadn't thought that the baggage trucks would also be affected.  Like the stairs, these pop up at the plane's parking position and drive away. That looks unrealistic. It would be better if the trucks are treated like stairs.

You must all be new to GSX, because it seems I'm replying to questions that have been discussed and answered back in 2012, when GSX first came out, and of course users understood the reasoning back then.

Empty baggage vehicles starts on the parking close to the airplane, because GSX can't possibly know in advance about your intentions, or what the next action would be.

Normally, you select a Gate after landing (or even before) to likely perform a Deboarding so, all the required vehicles will be already there by the time arrive at the gate. But you might have started a flight on a parking and, for some reason, decided to start GSX with Deboarding. If you don't but those vehicles will drive away and full ones will come from another parking.

karlschen

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2022, 11:45:47 am »
Sorry, I'm new to GSX and in 2012 I haven't tried a flight sim yet.

GERAirborne272

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2022, 12:43:57 pm »
I am new too