Author Topic: Please, add where hand signal will be!  (Read 1018 times)

jgoggi

Please, add where hand signal will be!
« on: September 10, 2022, 03:01:18 pm »
Hi,
Each time the pushback is over, I need to guess which side the pushback operator will move to for the hand signal and anxiously shift my look from one side to the other... Is it so difficult to let him/her say "hand signal will be on the left/right"?
Thank you.
James Goggi

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Please, add where hand signal will be!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2022, 03:08:02 pm »
Is it so difficult to let him/her say "hand signal will be on the left/right"?

Yes, even he should probably said so BEFORE going there, because when it's far from the airplane you are not supposed to hear him, since the headphone has been disconnected ( we don't have a headphone/cable simulation, but it's implied )

Copper

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2022, 03:54:53 pm »
Is it so difficult to let him/her say "hand signal will be on the left/right"?

Yes, even he should probably said so BEFORE going there
That's why the wording suggested by TO is "...signal WILL BE on...".

I guess your "Yes" is a response to "is it so difficult"?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2022, 03:58:57 pm »

Not really, it was more like "Yes, I agree with you", but it's something that must be added, since we never had a specific logic to place the wingwalker at the end of the pushback, it was more to prevent him to cross over the towbar, more than anything else.

Copper

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2022, 04:04:22 pm »

Not really, it was more like "Yes, I agree with you", but it's something that must be added, since we never had a specific logic to place the wingwalker at the end of the pushback, it was more to prevent him to cross over the towbar, more than anything else.
Okay, thanks.
In my case I usually have the situation when pushing back with nose right, that the wingwalker first goes on the correct side (left side of the aircraft) but after detaching the tow bar, he/she walks to the right side of the aircaft.
If I push with nose left, he/she goes to the left after detaching the tow bar.

So basically it's always the wrong side - which makes it easy to guess where they will be after the push, just look where you don't expect them to be ;)

I'd wish the logic would be just picking the side that is closer to the parking spot since this is the way the wingwalker will go after the pushback. This rule would on most (even if not all) cases let him not cross the taxiway on the way back.