Author Topic: Follow-Me Behavior  (Read 851 times)

Flightdoc

Follow-Me Behavior
« on: August 29, 2022, 08:51:56 pm »
I've been experimenting with Follow-Me cars. They seem to have two forms of behavior. If default, they are really sensitive to the aircraft getting too close and they run away, and then you have to REVOKE the follow-me and call one again. If that run-away behavior is switched off, they seem to want to pause every so often, drive a circle around the aircraft, and then proceed again. It's disconcerting. I'd love to see a middle ground somehow.

Also, I see the "Follow Me" flashing but I have not yet seen any 'slow down' or other indicator while running in default mode or with the run-away behavior turned off. I've run at 3rd party airports only so far in case that is relevant.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 10:13:33 pm by len hjalmarson »
Flightdoc

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Follow-Me Bahaviior
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 09:03:22 pm »
The behavior you noticed is intentional, and it's made to prevent the airplane itself to cut the follow me, so there's a bubble around the airplane, and if you go too close it will circle around you. Well, it's not so simple, it doesn't monitor just your distance, it monitors the closure rate, trying to anticipate when you will be in the future based on your current acceleration, because without a prediction and with a simple distance check, the car wouldn't have a chance to realize it's too late to prevent being crushed, because it has *its* own acceleration lag to contend with.

That's the complex explanation. The simpler explanation is: provided you follow it from a good distance and you keep your acceleration under control, you won't have any problems with it. Of course, the Follow me speed is customizable in the Settings, so you can just try with the setting that works better with your airplane and your taxi habits.

Flightdoc

Re: Follow-Me Bahaviior
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 10:13:18 pm »
I figured as much - I'm going to increase the speed of the Vehicle next I think I can find a sweet spot with the 'run away' turned off. thanks!
Flightdoc