Author Topic: Pushback trucks revisited  (Read 1913 times)

svenks

Pushback trucks revisited
« on: March 11, 2022, 02:35:51 pm »
Hi
Sitting here and trying to get the best of both worlds regarding PMDG 747v3/400F and GSX. A bit of a puzzle, I must say...
But another thing that has me frowning is the re-appearance of the default tow/pushback trucks. A little earlier in the day I came across several posts that mentions that you could get rid of the default tow trucks by doing a full install of GSX. So I downloaded fsdt_universal_installer and ran it. Sure enough, on my next load of P3Dv5.3, the trucks were gone (or at least gone from the cargo ramp where I sit). I exited P3d, as I had double loaders on the side cargo door and deleted the gsx.cfg in my appdata\roaming... folder.
And that seems to work better, but - now the default tow truck is back???!!!
I have not touched vehicles_airport.bgl, yet the damn truck is back!
Please tell me: Is it not the correct installer I downloaded? Or do I need to do something else, perhaps marking vehicles_airport.bgl as read/only?

A suggestion: Since you obviously knows how to do this, how about creating a small stand-alone "pushback truck zapper", that we can use instead of doing the full install?

Thank you, BRGDS
Sven Sorensen, EKCH
Modify message

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Pushback trucks revisited
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2022, 03:33:28 pm »
you could get rid of the default tow trucks by doing a full install of GSX. So I downloaded fsdt_universal_installer and ran it.

Haven't you noticed the Universal Installer is not able to install FSX/P3D products at this time, only MSFS products ? I believe you must have seen the message when trying to Install a non-MSFS product.

This ability will eventually come in the near future, we are working on it, it's just that installations in FSX+P3D are more complex ( FSX has a method, P3D pre-4 has another method, and P3D4/5 yet another one ) so, in the foreseeable future, we'll get rid of all installers, but we are not there yet.

We had to add the install ability to MSFS first, because the MSFS product don't have a Trial always freely available, so before the Universal Installer, users had to keep a backup of the installer, since Digital River links normally expire in 30 days, so the Universal Installer solved that problem.

So, in order to get rid of  default pushback trucks, you must run the FSDT normal installer, which will disable them during the installation-

svenks

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2022, 07:04:15 pm »
Hi and thanks for your reply :)

As for your question: "I believe you must have seen the message when trying to Install a non-MSFS product", no I did not - because I got no such message!
What I did see was that it looked more like an update than a fresh install, and funny enough: On my first startup of P3D after this, the tow truck was indeed gone! So forgive me, if I thought it had worked :)

Also, when I from the Home Page clicks "P3D v4 or v5", what is the first link on the next page? Right, "FSDT Universal Installer" and "Use the FSDT Universal Installer to manage the installation and licensing of all your FSDT products a simple to use application".

So what do I click? Right... :)

No worries, I'll get the right ones :)

BRGDS
Sven

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2022, 07:15:13 pm »
As for your question: "I believe you must have seen the message when trying to Install a non-MSFS product", no I did not - because I got no such message!

That's because you probably never tried to click "Install"

What I did see was that it looked more like an update than a fresh install, and funny enough: On my first startup of P3D after this, the tow truck was indeed gone! So forgive me, if I thought it had worked

Sure it was an update, and I assure you that just updating the program won't remove the default truck. It's only done at install time, and the updater cannot install GSX.

Also, when I from the Home Page clicks "P3D v4 or v5", what is the first link on the next page? Right, "FSDT Universal Installer" and "Use the FSDT Universal Installer to manage the installation and licensing of all your FSDT products a simple to use application".

It says that, because we WILL add the ability to install from scratch even for FSX/P3D eventually so, we assumed that, for the meantime, the message which says that installation is not YET available for FSX/P3D products, asking to use the regular installer and even starting your browser to the installer Download page would be enough...

svenks

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2022, 07:53:14 pm »
Hi Umberto
Again thanks for taking the time...

Just to be clear: I have just now downloaded and run the full installer. And the tow trucks are GONE! Thank you!

But your  "That's because you probably never tried to click "Install" made me wonder... did I see such a button when I ran the Universal installer?
So I ran it again - and there is no Install button to click, and no message that says it is only for MSFS. It did try to update, but of course I had just installed, so it didn't do anything.

Now, I'm not trying to be difficult here, but you do seem to imply that I don't see what is on my screen. And you may be right in other cases, but in in this case: No Install button and no message.

Anyway, as I said: Problem solved, and thank you for your help! :)

BRGDS
Sven

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2022, 09:11:18 pm »
But your  "That's because you probably never tried to click "Install" made me wonder... did I see such a button when I ran the Universal installer?

The Universal Installer has two modes of operation, depending which icon you use to start it:

- If you start it the the "FSDT Live Update" icon, it will JUST update products, without letting you doing anything

- If you start it the the "FSDT INSTALLER" icon, it will have a completely different interface, with more options like Installing ( for MSFS only, right now ), Update, Activate, Deactivate, etc.

I suggest having a look at the VIDEO tutorial posted here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,26013.0.html