Author Topic: Uninstalled GSX but Live Update redownloads it?  (Read 1487 times)

honanhal

Uninstalled GSX but Live Update redownloads it?
« on: November 18, 2021, 03:27:49 pm »
Because I've uninstalled P3D entirely in favor of MSFS, I also uninstalled GSX using the FSDT provided uninstaller. However, I just ran the Live Update (for MSFS sceneries) and it's now downloading all of the GSX content for P3D again, even though P3D is no longer on my system and GSX is uninstalled, not showing in the Windows programs list. How can I stop Live Update from resurrecting GSX? (It takes a very long time with so many files, too!)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edit: Not just GSX...it's now redownloading all my uninstalled P3D sceneries...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 03:36:03 pm by honanhal »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Uninstalled GSX but Live Update redownloads it?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 08:40:56 am »
When you uninstalled P3D, you should have uninstalled all the FSDT products for P3D as well AND reply YES, to the question:

"Do you want to remove the Addon Manager ?"

Replying YES to this question will do a complete uninstall, including files which were added during updates ( Uninstallers only remove something they installed ), which are the thing that causes a redownload.

Then, you can reinstall only the MSFS products.

honanhal

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2021, 09:43:45 am »
Thanks, Umberto. No, I didn't answer yes to "remove Addon Manager" because I had multiple MSFS products installed that were still using it. Is the only way to fix this now to uninstall ALL my FSDT products, answer yes to removing Addon Manager, and then reinstall the MSFS products?

(I'm probably not the only one removing P3D stuff and switching to MSFS who's run into this "gotcha"?)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2021, 12:56:02 pm »
Thanks, Umberto. No, I didn't answer yes to "remove Addon Manager" because I had multiple MSFS products installed that were still using it.

You could have just reinstall them after removing all the FSX/P3D stuff.

(I'm probably not the only one removing P3D stuff and switching to MSFS who's run into this "gotcha"?)

I don't know if you are the only one noticing this but, sure you are the only one that reported it, and it has been more than a year since we released our first MSFS product so, possibly, users are STARTING to remove P3D only now. A year ago, most P3D users were most complaining it was wrong for us to concentrate on MSFS, go figure...

In any case, thanks for your report, the issue should be fixed in today's update so, assuming you properly uninstalled all the non-MSFS simulators, the updater shouldn't try to update something for a removed sim.

With "properly uninstalled", I mean there are no registry keys left for those sims, which is what normally should happen when the uninstall completed successfully.

honanhal

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2021, 03:04:42 pm »
Thanks, Umberto. Maybe P3D didn't properly uninstall itself from the registry, because the Updater still tried to download all the GSX files. But after trying that, I did as you suggested and uninstalled everything, deleted the remaining Addon Manager folders, then reinstalled the MSFS stuff, and now it's working as intended. Thanks for your help.