Author Topic: GSX Paintkit  (Read 2733 times)

Siewjuu

GSX Paintkit
« on: September 09, 2021, 04:15:04 pm »
Hello, Anyone got Paintkit for gsx Lv2 / Gsx Vehicle i do want to repaint custom texture
i want a paitkit that work with V2.94 thanks

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
Re: GSX Paintkit
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 04:25:25 pm »
There isn't one, and you really don't need one. If you're running P3D V4, there's instructions in the GSX manual for how to create your own custom logo.
Captain Kevin

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 04:34:29 pm »
You haven't said which simulator you use.

Since 2019, when we released the PBR update for P3D V4, we added a completely new ( and way easier ) system that uses DirectX 11 to add custom textures for operator logos, which made the old PaintKit we used to have for FSX and older P3D versions obsolete.

The DirectX 11 method is not supported in P3D V5 and we explained many times we are not going to try supporting DirectX 12, because we saw all the issues even LM themselves were having with VRAM, stability, etc. In addition to that, we relied on some DX11-specific support libraries that required parts of DirectX that has been removed from DX12 ( like DirectWrite for Font support ) and since this hasn't been updated to support DX12, it would make porting our code too complex and not commercially viable.

Until today, P3D V5 didn't support any logo, the vehicles were all generic but, with the 2.9.4 update, we restored them using the more standard Multi-liveries method, like the one used in FSX, just updated for PBR objects. This method is surely 100% reliable ( any livery in the sim is made like that ), but it lacks flexibility and, due to the large number of object combinations in GSX, it will make very complex adding new operators.

But, at least, you are now getting 200+ operator liveries in P3D V5, instead of none as if was before the update.

Siewjuu

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 05:55:51 am »
i want to make some custom malaysia airport texture i use v4/v5 for the simulator...

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 08:25:48 am »
i want to make some custom malaysia airport texture i use v4/v5 for the simulator...
As I stated in my previous post, the GSX manual tells you how to do this for V4. It isn't possible to do this in V5.
Captain Kevin

tcas_test

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2021, 04:11:24 am »
As I stated in my previous post, the GSX manual tells you how to do this for V4. It isn't possible to do this in V5.
I wouldn't say entirely impossible, after a little bit of playing around you can certainly get it to work.

SD

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2021, 11:53:15 am »
I wouldn't say entirely impossible, after a little bit of playing around you can certainly get it to work.
You probably could, but I don't think it's something they would support. In any event, next update would probably wipe it out anyway, and then you'd have to start again.
Captain Kevin

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2021, 09:43:03 am »

Yes, of course you can, if you know you way around with SIM.CFG files, the TEXTURE.CFG files for fallbacks and the RULES.CFG.

However, using the multi-liveries system, adding even a single operator requires having to add/edit dozen of files and folders (one for each model), to the number of objects and variations in GSX, without making any errors, which might result in either missing/black textures in the best case, or errors in GSX if some object title is not set correctly.

And yes, unless you do this in a completely separate Simobjects folder, a GSX update will wipe away all of this. And even if you do it in a completely separate Simobjects folder, sometimes we might release updates to GSX that *requires* extra parameters for new behaviours or animations, so we need to update the parameters in the SIM.CFG files in one or more objects, which we can't do if you kept your own Simobjects separate, this DID happen when we used to have a PaintKit in FSX: people were getting errors because of new parameters required by GSX updates, because we would have to update the users custom objects too.

It would be way better if someone could start a list of missing operators that we can add, because we have a way to do it almost automatically, because it's integrated in our build and release system.