Author Topic: No Voice or Vehicle Sounds - Please Advise  (Read 2508 times)

Joepoway

No Voice or Vehicle Sounds - Please Advise
« on: July 19, 2019, 12:08:49 am »
I have lost all the voice and vehicle sounds coming from the animated figures. The text shows what the push back people are instructing by the voices are not playing. Additionally none of the passenger loading sounds are playing either.

I have made sure the sound output devices in P3D, GSX and Windows are all set to the same.
I have reset GSX and rebooted and everything else I can think of.

Basically all my other sounds from P3D, VoiceAttack and Pilot2ATC work fine but nothing from GSX Level 2.
Everything has been working well then all of the sudden no sound. I did perform the latest update to GSX and there a minor Windows update.

Also I have made sure the control panel - communications - "Do Nothing" in windows is set correctly.

Please advise next steps

Joe
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 12:39:43 am by Joepoway »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: No Voice or Vehicle Sounds - Please Advise
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 11:01:48 am »
If you are sure you set the correct audio device in GSX and the correct volume, and restarted the sim or at least Couatl, there's not much else to do.

GSX uses OpenAL for sounds so, the only possible issue I can think of sound going off, is some kind of problem or conflict with your audio drivers and OpenAL support, for example a Windows update might have changed your audio drivers which might affect OpenAL so, even if you think your audio card is perfectly fine and works, it won't show up as a problem unless you use another application that use OpenAL.

Have you tried reinstalling GSX ? Maybe the OpenAL .dll were missing or removed for some reason and reinstalling should restore them.

DaveT

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 10:06:06 pm »
I have really exhausted any hope of GSX doing what It's supposed to do. The sounds from the animated personnel are missing for 90% of the time.
Tonight was the last straw for me. I have uninstalled and reinstalled GSXv2 and It's still not talking to me although, guessing what I should be hearing seems to work, most of the time.

Have you had a problem updating for P3Dv5?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 10:55:16 am »
There are no problems whatsoever with GSX sounds, the sound system is completely unrelated to the simulator used (works with no changes even with MSFS 2020... ), and every issue you could possibly have can only be caused by:

- Bad OpenAL support in audio drivers

OR

- Windows interference as explained in my last post

sticky1202

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 01:57:02 pm »
I have lost all the voice and vehicle sounds coming from the animated figures. The text shows what the push back people are instructing by the voices are not playing. Additionally none of the passenger loading sounds are playing either.

I have made sure the sound output devices in P3D, GSX and Windows are all set to the same.
I have reset GSX and rebooted and everything else I can think of.

Basically all my other sounds from P3D, VoiceAttack and Pilot2ATC work fine but nothing from GSX Level 2.
Everything has been working well then all of the sudden no sound. I did perform the latest update to GSX and there a minor Windows update.

Also I have made sure the control panel - communications - "Do Nothing" in windows is set correctly.

Please advise next steps

When I had an issue like this, I had to check another option other then "Do Nothing", click "apply", then "OK". Then go back and check "Do Nothing", click "Apply", then "OK". I've had to do this every time I reboot my computer. Some bug in my Windows setup....

Jim

Joe

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 03:37:31 pm »
What's the point of quoting the OP, when this has already being answered ? I don't DOUBT the OP has this issue but, as I've said, it's nothing that has anything to do with GSX and, in all cases, all users that reported any kind of audio problems, eventually found they were caused by either:

- a problem with their audio drivers, not supporting OpenAL properly.

OR

- Windows turning down audio automatically when other apps take focus which, as discussed here and elsewhere in the forum, can be disabled

There wasn't a single case in which an audio problem couldn't be fixed by acting on something external to GSX.

DaveT

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 09:32:47 pm »
There are no problems whatsoever with GSX sounds, the sound system is completely unrelated to the simulator used (works with no changes even with MSFS 2020... ), and every issue you could possibly have can only be caused by:

- Bad OpenAL support in audio drivers

OR

- Windows interference as explained in my last post

I removed GSX and re-downloaded it. Executed it with Admin rights and still nothing! I am to assume that you no longer care and are quite happy to blame 'Windows 10' for the problem? That is the attitude that you appear to have chosen!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2021, 10:33:06 am »
I removed GSX and re-downloaded it. Executed it with Admin rights and still nothing! I am to assume that you no longer care and are quite happy to blame 'Windows 10' for the problem? That is the attitude that you appear to have chosen!

If that's not proof enough the problem doesn't have anything to do with GSX, I don't know what else could make you realize that.

IF the problem could be fixed by reinstalling GSX, it would meant there was something wrong with your previous install, so it WAS related to GSX. And IF the problem could be fixed by executing GSX with admin rights, it would meant GSX didn't work correctly with a standard user, so it WAS related to GSX.

But since, as I've said, the problem is caused either by audio drivers OR Windows not properly configured to stop playing with sound levels of other apps, fact it won't be fixed by reinstalling GSX ( why it should, since the problem is elsewhere ? ), only proves what I'm trying to tell you.

But that's not the only proof I have. The most important one are the countless user reports ( here and on the support email ) of those that FIXED the problem and, in 100% of the cases, it was fixed in two ways:

- using different audio drivers, for example switching from the manufacturer drivers to the Windows default drivers or vice-versa.

- turning off the option in Windows to lower volume of background apps and/or when notifications happens.

That's what everybody that fixed the problem reported. I guess that might be OTHER ( still unknown ) causes for this problem, for example 3rd party apps that has something to do with sound, like audio chat utilities, headphone drivers or support software, etc. Some of them do very QUESTIONABLE things, like doing what is call "global hook", which is the app intercepting audio and keyboard even when it's not used. Skype, for example, intercept CTRL+M GLOBALLY which means, if you have another application that uses that hotkey for some reason, if you use it there, it will also "mute" the microphone in Skype, that's an example of a very questionable hook of an app interfering with others. Some headphone support software take control of the audio device switching, which can affect audio output in other apps that assumed an audio device would stay the same.

In fact, there's nothing in the GSX code that handles switching audio devices while the program is running. If the audio device switches, you must selected the correct one in GSX and choose "Restart Couatl" so, if it switches inadvertently, you might not realized it has switched. That's the only thing I can think of that might be related to GSX, which we MIGHT improve in future versions.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 10:40:46 am by virtuali »