Author Topic: GSX Won't Activate - again  (Read 2413 times)

X24

GSX Won't Activate - again
« on: August 29, 2021, 08:52:37 am »
I am done with GSX. I have been using it for several years but I am seriously annoyed at the program failing to work on a regular basis. Out of all the flight sim software I have used over the years this has been the most unstable, requiring me to uninstall and reinstall many, many times.

The latest issue is that without me changing ANYTHING, suddenly GSX decided to revert to trial mode. It does not recognise the .reg files, and stays in trial mode even though in the addon manager it is showing as registered, and even active.

It's a nice idea, but I don't have time to mess about with stuff that causes so many problems. Quite a number of my fellow simmers feel the same way, so it's not just me.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 04:54:33 am by X24 »
Cheers,

Chris

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
Re: GSX Won't Activate - again. I do not recommend this product.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 12:04:57 am »
It’s almost certainly connected to a problem with couatl.exe not running. Have you checked if it is? GSX requires that program to be running or it goes into trial mode.
Cheers,
Ray.

P3Dv5.3HF2, i9-13900K @ 5.5Ghz, RTX4090, 32Gb RAM, 4Tb Crucial T700 NVMe SSD, BenQ 32” 30Hz monitor at 3840*2160 with VSync.

X24

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 05:58:21 am »
Sorry mate, I've uninstalled this utility.

I've been using it since 2016 and splashed out and bought V2, and while a nice idea, I made a decision recently to only use things that work without me having to uninstall, reinstall, or check if something's running that should be (or shouldn't...), which I have had to do too many times.

Good luck with it all. I'll stick to the sceneries for now.

Cheers,

Chris

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 09:33:44 am »
X24, the FSDT scenery packages are also linked to couatl.exe. You’ve paid for GSX so why not persevere. I’ve had it just as long with very few issues.

Anyway, Umberto will probably answer in due course and perhaps he can help you.
Cheers,
Ray.

P3Dv5.3HF2, i9-13900K @ 5.5Ghz, RTX4090, 32Gb RAM, 4Tb Crucial T700 NVMe SSD, BenQ 32” 30Hz monitor at 3840*2160 with VSync.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 08:48:05 am »
It's not very clear from your message if GSX is REALLY "reverting to Trial mode", or it simply stopped working, because Couatl.exe has been blocked ( almost invariably by a faulty antivirus )

"Reverting to Trial" is a very specific situation, which manifests as follows:

GSX is working but, when you press the Hotkey, if you are NOT located on an FSDT airport or one of the 3 default Trial airports, you'll see a menu telling you GSX is in Trial, suggesting to go to a Trial airport. If you go to an FSDT airport or a Trial airport, GSX will otherwise work in full. THIS IS TRIAL.

This surely doesn't happen on its own, unless something very specific happens to your system, like changing major hardware components ( CPU or Mainboard or the Boot disk. Changing the video card or upgrading memory it's not enough ), or you reinstall Windows, or you switch to a different user profile, since your registry keys are stored in the user profile registry.

Also, it's not very clear what do you mean with "It does not recognise the .reg files". GSX is not supposed to "recognize" anything. Nothing in the GSX code ever reads or use the .REG files. .REG files are the STANDARD format to backup one or more registry keys, and their only function is to save you from MANUALLY typing your key, that's the only thing they do, and only after you double-click on them and accept the key to be inserted in the registry, which will prompt the Addon Manager to reactivate the key ( if it's not already active ) on the next startup, skipping the part where you have to type it manually. This is how a .REG file work in Windows, it's nothing we made up, it's a standard and, it's not really required to activate GSX, it's ONLY a time-saving feature that is alternative to manually typing the key.

If, instead, you already knew what .REG files are and how they work ( they don't do anything unless you double-click on them and accept the key to be inserted in the registry ), then I assume with "It does not recognise the .reg files", you really meant "It does not recognise my key", than it's an entirely whole different thing.

Of course, saying "it does not recognize my key", it's not helpful at all, since nowhere is the whole program code we have a "I don't recognize your key" message but, instead, we have many and very specific error messages, it would have been more helpful to know the *actual* error message instead.

A common one is the "activation key invalid" error, which usually appears because you might be using an old Esellerate key, which is one that starts with FSDT-xxxxxxxxxx.

In July 2019, due to the Esellerate closure, we had to switch to a different ecommerce system ( from Esellerate to MyCommerce, which are both run by Digital River ) and to a different activation provider ( from Esellerate to QLM/Soraco ). QLM/Soraco has been chosen very carefully, because they have a great feature that, while they normally issue their own keys, meaning new orders made after 2019 will use the QLM keys, their SDK and servers allows to also accept "Legacy Keys", meaning they are perfect to MIGRATE an existing user base from an activation method to another. This obviously required A LOT OF WORK on our part, because we had both to migrate all the orders from the past 10 years from Esellerate to QLM, and we also had to change our software to integrate the new QLM SDK, remove Esellerate and let it handle BOTH kind of keys.

When everything works as it's supposed to, this works perfectly because, you can use BOTH kind of keys without worrying which one is which so, old users could continue to use their keys, and new users would get new keys.

However, as usual, software conflicts gets in the way and, in order to work, this system REQUIRES a working connection to the activation server directly from Couatl.exe to the QLM server, one that is not blocked by a firewall or an antivirus. This because, the "Legacy" key is something known ONLY to the server. So, when nothing is blocking, the activation works as it always did, regardless if you use an old Esellerate key or a new QLM key ( the ones that starts with an "A" ). When something is blocking, the QLM License Wizard comes out automatically, because it has more features that enables it to pass through firewalls or proxies or antivirus. But the issue is, the QLM License Wizard doesn't know of the Esellerate keys so, BEFORE it connects to the server, it does a rough syntax check of the key you typed and, if it's not conforming to the QLM standard, it will say it's "invalid" before even checking on the server.

The simple solution in this case, is to use use a NEW QLM key because, for each past order made with Esellerate, a new QLM key has been associated to it. As I've said, when all works, you can use either, but when a firewall or antivirus is blocking the connection to QLM, and the License Wizard comes out, you MUST use the new QLM keys. Of course, in the FAQ page of our site, the procedure to retrieve a past order will direct you to the QLM Self-Help site which, starting from your email, will retrieve a list of all your past purchases, with their associated QLM key, even those that were originally made on Esellerate.

So, if you get the "activation key invalid" message, assuming you typed it correctly, the easiest solution is to use the QLM key instead of the Esellerate key, which work even with the QLM License Wizard, which comes out when a direct connection to the activation server cannot be established, usually because of a firewall or an antivirus.

X24

Re: GSX Won't Activate - again
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2021, 03:22:49 pm »
OK. I will try to explain this again as clearly as I can.
I have not made any modifications or changes to any of the components  of my computer, Windows, or my user profile. Not today, or yesterday, or last week. Nothing. Nada. Zip. Rien. Nichts.
One day, I used Prepar3d v5 with GSX installed and it worked fine. I was not using any FSDT airports during that session.
The next day I once again started Prepar3d v5 and set up a flight.
I was NOT at an FSDT airport.
When I pressed CTRL+F12 GSX offered to warp me to one of three airports.
When I opened the addon manager and clicked on GSX V2 to check its status, it showed that GSX v2 was in trial mode.
THIS IS WHAT I MEAN BY TRIAL MODE. YOUR PROGRAM TOLD ME IT WAS IN TRIAL MODE. IT OFFERED TO WARP ME TO ONE OF 3 AIRPORTS. THIS IS TRIAL MODE. THAT IS WHAT I MEAN BY TRIAL MODE. BY YOUR OWN EXPLANATION THIS IS TRIAL MODE.
I don't know how or why it changed to trial mode but this is not the first time this happened.
I used the activation key to re-activate GSX. The activation key was accepted, and I received a message saying the activation was successful.
I restarted P5D, went to a non-FSDT airport. I checked the status of GSX v2 in the the addon manager and it showed GSX as activated.
When I pressed CTRL+F12 GSX offered to warp me to one of three airports, once again.
I uninstalled GSX and removed every folder I could find that had anything to do with FS Dream Team. Even uninstalling the software leaves a lot of material behind.
On Ray's advice I installed GSX v2 once again, and Vancouver.
I activated them and the activation keys were accepted.
The addon manager in P5D shows Vancouver as "Installed and active."
GSX showed as "Active" only.
When I pressed CTRL+F12 GSX offered to warp me to one of three airports, once again.
I have once again uninstalled GSX v2 from my computer.

Cheers,

Chris

X24

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2021, 03:48:32 pm »
After reinstalling GSX v2 yet again, and starting P5D, this is what I find. Perhaps I should change the name of the subject. Your program is telling me that GSX is active, but also that it is in trial mode.
As things stand right now, it is not possible for me to use GSX.
I'm not going to argue about whether it recognises my key, or will or won't activate. You can call it what you want, but regardless of anything I do, it stays in trial mode, and I can't use it.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 04:15:35 pm by X24 »
Cheers,

Chris

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2021, 06:58:34 pm »
After reinstalling GSX v2 yet again, and starting P5D, this is what I find. Perhaps I should change the name of the subject. Your program is telling me that GSX is active, but also that it is in trial mode.

Nothing in your screenshot indicates the Addon Manager says "GSX is active", because you show a screenshot showing only the GSX Level 2 Expansion as being active, and your other screenshots in game indicates the BASE GSX IS IN TRIAL.

So, it seems GSX is working normally, but in Trial, most likely because you assumed that activating the GSX Level 2 Expansion would also activate the BASE GSX. It doesn't. They have two separate activations, each one with its own separate activation key.

X24

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2021, 04:53:11 am »
Thanks Umberto. That occurred to me too, last night. I checked that the base GSX was also activated, but I still had the same result. Since then, the sim has has been re-started and finally the computer re-started and the sim started again, and finally it's working - for now.

What I don't get is why suddenly it stops working, and then I can't just activate it again, I have to uninstall and re-install first. This has happened plenty of times to me which is why I wrote the post in the first place.

I have to say thank you for your patience - you do have good customer service, I will say that.
Cheers,

Chris

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2021, 12:51:10 pm »
What I don't get is why suddenly it stops working, and then I can't just activate it again, I have to uninstall and re-install first. This has happened plenty of times to me which is why I wrote the post in the first place.

It never stops working on its own however, here you are still not very clear if "stops working" REALLY mean "stops working", or you meant "reverted to Trial" because, as I've said, they are two completely different things.

Fact you had to reinstall, seems to indicate something changed in your sim that shouldn't be changed, like the "Compatibility" settings. Sometimes 3rd party add-on change those in the wrong way ( GSX obviously works perfectly fine with the default settings ), because they were made with legacy programming methods, usually not supporting the newer UAC rules which has been in place since 2006 with Windows Vista.

But sometimes, even Windows itself changes the Compatibility settings automatically, in a way you can't easily check, because some keys are set in the registry to "help" you running a program that really didn't need them but, usually after a crash, Windows reacts by setting some Compatibility flags it shouldn't have, preventing proper software ( like GSX, which is 100% UAC and Windows 10 compliant ) to work.

Our installer knows that, and clear all the bad Compatibility settings from the registry, which explains why you had to run it to fix the issue.