Author Topic: Live updates but no notes since April 14?  (Read 2875 times)

airbadger

Live updates but no notes since April 14?
« on: April 28, 2020, 04:33:25 pm »
I've been getting a couple "There's an update available..." prompts in-game the past week but I've been declining each time because I don't see any notes here: https://www.fsdreamteam.com/couatl_liveupdate_notes.html. I'm hesitant to install them without knowing if the fixes/changes are worth the risk. Is there anything noteworthy that has been changed?

bcm652

Re: Live updates but no notes since April 14?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 07:02:58 pm »
Depends on which sim you are using, most of the recent updates seem to all be for p3d.
I'm using MFSX and I haven't done a GSX update since last November 2019 and everything is working fine. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it..

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 12:57:35 am »
See this post here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,23479.msg156804.html

In this case, it appears it wasn't an update that would have been noticeable to too many people.
Captain Kevin

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 09:38:09 am »
I'm using MFSX and I haven't done a GSX update since last November 2019 and everything is working fine. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it..

While this might seem a reasonable advice, if you don't know the context, it's not really a good idea and you always want to have the latest version of the software, even if it might look like as if it's related to FSX.

- Microsoft regularly updates the VC++ runtimes with the various Windows updates and security hotfixes. This mean we inherit these changes/fixes whenever we recompile our software, because every update runtime comes with a matching Visual C++ update. Those update usually fix issues with the standard C++ library so, a recompile ( even with no actual changes to our code ) is always useful, because it's possible ( and it DOES happen ) that Microsoft might have fixed something in their library that might cause crashes in previous versions.

- While Esellerate almost never changed, the new activation service we use now ( QLM by Soraco ) is updated regularly, since 2019 it has already updated at least a dozen of times. When they update the client runtime, it's a two step process which requires both applications using it to be recompiled ( our software ) and the remote activation server being updated. By not updating the client part, the one that resides on your system, you risk running into activation problems if you change hardware or reinstall Windows, because your client might have become to old to connect to the updated activation server without issues.

We only document changes in OUR own code, because of course we know exactly what they are, but our release notes documents it's not really the place to also notify and explain changes/fixes related to other software, like Windows updates or other updates, which can have an effect nevertheless on how our own software will perform.

So, even if you don't see something that matters to you in the release notes, we strongly advice to always have the latest version of the software.