Author Topic: GSX causing prepar3d to crash  (Read 2483 times)

owaissaad

GSX causing prepar3d to crash
« on: January 01, 2020, 11:38:05 pm »
HI

I was hoping for help regarding an issue that I am experiencing. I have reinstalled all software and by process of elimination I have isolated the cause of my prepar3d v4 crashing to be GSX. The error message I get is

"This device (NVDIA Geforce GTX 1080 ti) stopped working for the following reason: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED"

I then uninstalled GSX and the result was that the simulator with the rest of the addons run fine. Once again I have installed GSX and again I have then same error message and the computer crashes. I am unsure how to resolve this issue. I have updated all the drivers to both my graphics cards, gone on you tube to address the DXGI...error message but nothing has worked.

I really do like GSX and GSX expansion pack and the sim is just not the same without it. Any advice relating to this is welcome.

I am running
windows 10
Prepar3d v4
GTX 1080 TI X 2 (1 Aoris and gigabyte)
80GB RAM

Other addons include
chase plan
orbx
track IR

Many Thanks

Owais

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
Re: GSX causing prepar3d to crash
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 11:40:09 am »
I think part of the problem is having two graphics cards in the first place. You might have to do a search around the forum, as I know people had problems with GSX when they had two graphics cards, although I don't remember it resulting in a crash.
Captain Kevin

beckair

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 05:20:13 pm »
Dear Owais, dear Cap Kevin,

I have been running my FlightSim (and GSX) with 2 graphics cards for many years and mostly without problems except that sometimes I got the message "This device (name of graphics card) stopped working for the following reason: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED. ...". First it happened after updating graphic drivers but I was always able to get GSX back to work. Mind you, different to other Flight Simmers I don't get the mesage in flight or after a certain amount of time but only when I request GSX services at airports and only when close to a gate. So like with Owais, operating GSX seems to trigger a problem. I found that it most often appears when requesting jetways. I tried disabling the GSX jetways and use the default ones but that only helps every now and again and is no real fun. Surprisingly the problem does not occur e.g. in EDDM (using Taxi2Gate).
My setup is similar to yours:
WIN 10, P3Dv4.5, GTX1050TI (for 3 monitors with panels), GTX 970 (for 3 monitors with the pilots' view), ORBX, PMDG 737 and 777.
The error occurs only for one of the cards, mostly the card for the panels. From the pilots view I can still see GSX devices operating and even the jetways operate.

However, I think that our problems are somehow related and like you I would appreciate any help as I don't want to be without my GSX.

Best regards,
Christoph

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 10:03:23 am »
The problem doesn't have anything to do with GSX.

Yes, you probably thing it's GSX, but only because GSX is probably the only addon that uses the Render To Texture feature of the P3D4 SDK and, it seems there are issues with 2 graphic card with this feature. That's why there's a setting in the Addon Manager to disable it. You'll lose the operator logos and the jetway numbers, but it's the only way to prevent this crash.

When the option is changed, it won't be in effect until the next simulator restart.

beckair

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 07:11:41 pm »
Dear Umberto,

thank you for your reply. I'm glad to hear the crashes are not GSX-related. I will try your solution tonight and let you know how it works for me.

I hope it solves Owais' problem, too as he started that topic.

Regards

Christoph

beckair

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 08:27:04 pm »
I tried with different airplanes at various airports and  ;D it works fine!
Thank you from a happy Simmer! I think I should have asked earlier instead of trying for months ...

owaissaad

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 10:40:15 pm »
Dear All,

Thank you so much for all of your replies, In a weird way it is comforting to know that I am not the only one. I will reinstall the software and check the addon Manager. Though at this stage I am not sure what specific setting i will be disabling.

I would be grateful to the Virtuali to take this error as feedback in the next product update. Your software is so fantastic that our sim seems incomplete without GSX. I would kindly request to see if there is a solution around the render to texture. I am grateful for your advice.

Thank you beckair and Captain Kevin for your help and support too.

I will keep you all posted after I reinstall.

beckair

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2020, 11:21:42 pm »
Dear Owais,

no need to reinstall. In your flightsim top menu click "Add-Ons", then go to "Addon manager", choose "FS Dream Team; GSX Level2 Expansion" and at the right hand bottom you will find the click spot "Disable RTT". Apply and restart your sim afterwards. That worked for me.

Thank you for posting the problem, that helped me get a solution.

Christoph
Christoph, EDDM
Vice President Cyber Air VA
http://www.cyberva.16mb.com/vam/index.php?lang=en