Author Topic: GSX control panel error  (Read 3668 times)

chemanuel

GSX control panel error
« on: November 27, 2019, 09:03:31 pm »
I purchased today the GSX bundle. It installed and updated with the live update. I registered my serials numbers, after a couple of bumps on the first P3D start. The next P3D start went fine and the program is working, baggage etc. However when I try to run the GSX Control panel it gives me this error:

"Cannot open file C:\\FSX\Scenery|Global|scenery\airport_objects.bgl"

There is no Global folder and no files under C:\\FSX\Scenery even though I saw the Live updater downloading files and putting them there...

Jose

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX control panel error
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 09:36:23 pm »
There is no Global folder and no files under C:\\FSX\Scenery even though I saw the Live updater downloading files and putting them there...

Your message is not very clear, do you mean:

- You don't have any files there, because your FSX is not installed in the C:\FSX folder ? That would indicate a problem with your registry.

OR

- Your FSX *is* installed in C:\FSX but you don't have either the Scenery or the Scenery\Global folders there ? That would indicate your FSX installation seriously corrupted.

chemanuel

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 06:33:09 pm »
No, I don't have FSX installed I have Prepar3d 4.5

GSX is working fine in the sim, cars, baggage, passengers etc.
i can modify positions etc.

If I want to use the GSX control panel from the icon in my desktop it gives me the aforemention error. The shortcut points to C:FSX folder, where no scenery files can be found giving the error:

"Cannot open file C:\\FSX\Scenery|Global|scenery\airport_objects.bgl"

I had FSX in the past... I have that folder with some old files that I use to convert scenery etc...

(after I posted this)

I created the folders under C:FSX and copy the airports.bgl file to the proper location and the shortcut works now however doesn't do anything just click on the jetways option but nothing else happens. (doesn't compile anything)

Is there a way to tell the control panel that the installation is in p3D?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 06:57:36 pm by chemanuel »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 06:44:12 pm »
No, I don't have FSX installed I have Prepar3d 4.5

Ok, it's likely you have used the notoriously dangerous "Migration Tool", which creates fake FSX entries in the registry, to fool old installers not compatible with P3D to install into that. This, of course, will cause endless problem to proper P3D4 products, like ours, which supports both FSX and P3D and need to recognize them as they are.

If you don't have FSX anymore, it's best if you uninstall/disable the migration tool, which will hopefully remove the fake registry entries from your system.

If you can't do that, you should remove the keys manually with REGEDIT.

chemanuel

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 07:00:29 pm »
No, I'm not using the Migration tool...

This FSX folder was created by me to install old scenery files there and port them to P3d...

I deleted everything related to FSX from the registry. There is not one single entry.

Now the GSX control panel show FSX NOT installed. However is working because I moved the airports.bgl file to the folder FSX in order for the shortcut to work.
However doesn't do anything but marking "disable the jetways etc"  I asume files are missing since it doesn't show any jetways names to compile etc.
Is there any way to tell the control panel to look for P3D?
all the installation went fine and GSX is working with the exemption of the control panel.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 02:24:06 am by chemanuel »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 12:15:23 pm »
Is there any way to tell the control panel to look for P3D?

Having P3D installed, with its own registry keys correct.

chemanuel

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2019, 02:50:59 pm »
P3D has been correctly installed for years. All addons have installed correctly with no problems. All products from other companies have installed correctly including the new 737 NGXu from PMDG yesterday.   The GSX installer found P3D perfectly and installed the GSX and Gsx 2 and is working in the sim with exemption of the control panel.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2019, 06:46:28 pm »
If the GSX Control Panel doesn't see P3D, if means your registry keys are wrong, no questions about it.

The GSX Control Panel, of course, reads the same registry keys of the GSX installer and, since there are two set of keys, one under user and another on local machine, BOTH are tried and, if Prepar3d.exe is not found in the user registry, is searched in the local machine setting.

This, assuming you meant the Control Panel doesn't see P3D entirely.

Instead, if it simply doesn't allow you to change the jetway disable/enable status, that's an entirely different issue, doesn't have anything to do with the registry, and can be caused by:

- Your airport_objects.bgl file in Scenery\Global\Scenery missing

- Your airport_objects.bgl file in Scenery\Global\Scenery modified by an another add-on in a way that the original jetway can't be found

- Your airport_objects.bgl file in Scenery\Global\Scenery protected from writing because permission issues in your system

- Your airport_objects.bgl file in Scenery\Global\Scenery protected from writing because the antivirus is interfering

chemanuel

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2019, 03:52:20 am »
As I explained before the folder C:\FSX is a folder I created myself to extract old scenery files. It was NOT the folder where originally FSX was installed.

The GSX installer found P3D and installed perfectly fine. I just enjoyed the program at KMCO, load passengers etc. and make a flight to KMIA.

However the GSX control panel is looking for those file you mentioned in the folder I created instead of the P3D folders.

It doesn't work because the files are not there. BUT if i copy the files from P3d to the C\FSX folder i created it works sort of...

This is what I don't understand, if it installed GSX fine where it was supposed to be, why the issue pointing to another folder...

I guess would not be able to use the control panel... the program is working fine.

I downloaded already made files from Cartyana and fix some of my jetways problems at some airports.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2019, 02:03:20 pm »
However the GSX control panel is looking for those file you mentioned in the folder I created instead of the P3D folders.

Normally it's not. It will, only under the following conditions:

- You edited the P3D registry key to point *there*

- You placed a fake Prepar3d.exe *there*

Those are the two conditions to have the GSX Control Panel assuming a simulator is installed, so it will activate the buttons. Both must be valid, otherwise the simulator is considered not found. However, a "found" simulator, doesn't mean the jetway buttons would work because, in addition to be "found", the airport_objects.bgl file in Scenery\Global\Scenery and not only that, it must be the original one, or at least a modified one but that actually *contains* the default jetway object.

So, it goes back again to my original explanation: your P3D registry keys seems to be wrong, and are pointing to the C:\FSX folder, because that's the only possible way the GSX Control Panel would look THERE for the jetway .BGL, instead of the real P3D installation.

As I've said, there are two set of registry keys for P3D, could be you changed only one and, since the GSX Control Panel looks in both places, but other addons might only use one, that you think your registry keys are all fine, when one set of them it's not ?

chemanuel

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2019, 08:53:09 pm »
Well, Al of a sudden is started working fine, now i can see files to be compiled if necessary...
There are no fake P3d.exe's anywhere...