Author Topic: Restarting couatl inflight no longer works  (Read 2545 times)

draci

Restarting couatl inflight no longer works
« on: September 12, 2018, 11:13:11 pm »
Hi to all,

since I have recently updated to GSX Expansion 2 I can no longer reset couatl inflight, neither by the FSX menu entry nor by running couatl.exe directly from the Addon Manager Folder. The couatl and GSX entries vanish from the Add ons menu when I try to reset from the Add on- menu but in the task manager couatl.exe is still listed and when I try to kill it it says "handle invalid". Should I reinstall?

Any help appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 11:26:46 pm by draci »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Restarting couatl inflight no longer works
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 03:25:22 am »
Are you sure you are running the current Live Update ? There was a problem with Restart, but we fixed very soon after release.

draci

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 05:49:33 pm »
Hi Umberto,

I haven't found a solution for this annoying problem for months now and I've seen that there are quite a few posts mentioning the same problem.
How can I check that my live update is current? I always update it if GSX prompts me to do, I go to the addon manager folder and run couatl update and couatl2 update, is there anything I can do wrong?

draci

draci

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 11:24:03 pm »
Ok, no answer. This is quite unusual in this very active forum. Does this silence mean that there is still a problem with restarting that wasn't fixed by the Live updater yet or I'm a just missing something on my side? As I said,  there have been many users with the same problem in the past in this forum, and Umberto acknowledged that they really did have a problem with restarting on the developer's side, but I have never seen a solution. So is there anybody outhere who got this fixed? At least for me, none of the live updates has worked so far.

Best regards
draci

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 11:55:32 am »
Umberto acknowledged that they really did have a problem with restarting on the developer's side, but I have never seen a solution

That's not what I said. In my last post, I said there was a problem with Restart, but we fixed very soon after release and after that, nobody else has reported it.

draci

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 11:24:37 pm »
Thank you for your reply, Umberto. Unfortunately, for me it still doesn't work for almost a year now... From time to time I'm frustrated enough to try again to find a fix and right now is such a time.  The log shows that simconnect connects and immediately disconnects. However, opposed to as is was before live updating to the current version I don't get the message that the "bglman.dll couldn't be loaded" anymore. I tried reinstalling, starting in various compatibility modes, starting as admin and without, disconnecting simconnect, etc. What else could I try? Do you know of any add-on that could be in conflict with couatl or could it be that any of the fsdt-airports in the add-on manager is the problem since I usually deactivate a lot of scenery I don't need for the current flight (although it's activated In the addon-manager) to save VAS since I still use Fsx.

draci
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 11:27:21 pm by draci »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 11:34:03 pm »
However, opposed to as is was before live updating to the current version I don't get the message that the "bglman.dll couldn't be loaded" anymore.

First, if you really had such error before ( and it would bglmanx.dll ), you would have very different problems than just Couatl not restarting in flight. If bglmanx.dll doesn't load, you wouldn't see anything, no Addon Manager menu, no GSX menu, and no Couatl menu, not even on the first start.

A Restart in flight, instead, only matters to Couatl, since bglmanx.dll, as a DLL, cannot "restart", since it only restarts together with the simulator.

I tried reinstalling, starting in various compatibility modes, starting as admin and without, disconnecting simconnect, etc. What else could I try? Do you know of any add-on that could be in conflict with couatl?

You shouldn't use any Compatibility modes, and you should never disconnect Simconnect, which I'm not entirely sure what does it mean, since Simconnect cannot be disconnected. It might be uninstalled, with a fairly complex procedure but, again, if Simconnect were missing/corrupted or had any other problem, NOTHING will even start

So no, your Restart in Flight problem must be something else which, as of today, you are the only one reporting it.

What other addons you have in the "Addons" menu ? You might try disabling all of them, by setting this line:

<Disabled>True</Disabled>

in your %APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX\DLL.XML file and %APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX\EXE.XML

Of course, you must left bglmanx.dll in DLL.XML and Couatl.exe in EXE.XML enabled, but turn off every other module. If the restart works with no other modules loaded, you can try to re-enable them ONE BY ONE, and try a new FSX session with one more module enabled, until you'll eventually find which one conflicts.