Author Topic: Dear Abby  (Read 4966 times)

tdavart

• Disrud Studios
Dear Abby
« on: September 17, 2009, 03:52:18 am »
I love FSDT, but it seems whenever I install a scenery, something goes haywire. This time I downloaded and installed KJFK (FS9) for a trial. When I shut down FS, a dialog box came up saying something to the effect that FSUIPC (v3.9) couldn't find itself or fsview (?!!). I had to close this dialog 3 or 4 times before it finally went away, then the familiar FS dialog came up stating that FS had crashed (after I had shut it down). I uninstalled KJFK but the issue still persists. Reinstalling FSUIPC didn't help either. It's enough to make me cuss.

Signed,
Frustrated
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 03:55:41 am by tdavart »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Dear Abby
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 11:49:14 am »
We don't use, don't require, don't install or touch an existing installation, and are not being affected or affect FSUIPC so, if you had problems with it, they are not dependent on the scenery.

Also, in FS9 there's no DLL.XML or EXE.XML that might be corrupted or wrong: any FS module that is found in the FS9\MODULES folder will be loaded so, our installer doesn't do anything special in FS9, other than simply copying files.

If you uninstall any of our sceneries, and reply Yes to the question "do you remove the Addon Manager?", it will be exactly the same as if the scenery was never installed so, if you still have issues after doing this, you can be sure it's nothing related to our stuff.

tdavart

• Disrud Studios
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 07:00:58 pm »
I didn't uninstall the addon manager since I have KORD, KLAS and Zurich. I'm afraid to install a new version of it for fear that the current scenery won't work. If I do I suppose I'll have to re-download all of them yet again and reinstall. And this problem most definitely occurred AFTER installing KJFK. Nothing else was touched.

tdavart

• Disrud Studios
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 08:34:35 pm »
Update: The error seems to be coming from the autower.dll, which is a freeware program that gives you roving tower views a'la FSX. Deleting it eliminated the error message, but FS still crashes when quitting. I had been using autower for some time before installing KJFK.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 09:45:58 pm »
As I've said, if you uninstall KFJK and reply Yes to the question about removing the the Addon Manager, nothing related to it will be left so, if you are still having crashes, it's 100% sure those are *not* related in any way to JFK, regardless of the fact that you might have *noticed* after installing JFK.

There was an issue in FS9 with one of our sceneries that caused a crash on exit, but it was KFLL, and it has been fixed after the first release, JFK never had this problem.