Author Topic: After uninstall of airport I still get prompted that it is installed.  (Read 3487 times)

kenthom

The title says it.  I uninstalled KJFK, KLAS & KORD.   I did so both through the system uninstall and then used Scruffy Duck to identify any remaining files.  All have been removed.  The airports do not appear within the P3D Documents,  P3D Library or Addons Menus within the sim.

However, on startup I still get a prompt that says they are installed and wants to know if I want to activate them.

How do I get rid of the prompts?

Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
However, on startup I still get a prompt that says they are installed and wants to know if I want to activate them.

That prompt doesn't have anything to do with the scenery installation status in the sim or the Scenery Library. It's only related to the Serial Number in the registry, since that is never removed by uninstalling, for the obvious reason that this way, you can uninstall/reinstall an unlimited number of times on the same system, without worrying about reactivating.

However, there's something not entirely clear in your report:

- The question DOES NOT come just because you uninstalled the scenery. The question ONLY comes if you have a Serial Number in the registry which you haven't activated yet, this can happen ONLY in one of those 2 cases:

1) You reinstalled the system from a backup, and used the backup .REG key to insert the Serial Number in the registry, but haven't activated it yet.

OR

2) If you haven't done #1, then some *external* product have added a Serial Number in the registry, because we DO NOT store the Serial Number in the registry, unless *after* it has passed a successful activation.

Do you recall doing any of this ? In any case, to remove a Serial Number from the registry, assuming you don't want to use the scenery in that system anymore, the correct procedure is to choose DEACTIVATE from the Addon Manager. This will reclaim an activation that you can use to reinstall on a new system.

If, instead, the reason for wanting to uninstall was just to clean up your installation (not required if you updated P3D, if this was the reason of the uninstall) reinstall for any other reason, on the same system, you shouldn't Deactivate and, instead, just confirm the activation so, the scenery will be active as soon as you'll reinstall it.

kenthom

That makes sense.  I upgraded my SSD and at some of the process I was asked that question as I activated the other airports.  I do not want to reinstall these three airports but I do want to keep the others activated.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 01:52:07 am by kenthom »

kenthom

Nothing I have done has eliminated getting the prompt asking if I want to "activate these three airports since they are installed on my computer".  They are not active within the Addon Manager.   I have deleted them from C:\User\Name\FSDreamteam.   So no registration keys should be on my airport for KORD, JFKv2, KLASv2.

Any other suggestions as to why this prompt should appear every time I activate P3D?

Thanks in advance.

Bigteeze

Not to hijack this thread, but what is the correct uninstall procedure for the V4 sceneries? I'm thinking about uninstalling KJFK from P3DV4 but I'm not quite sure of the best way to go about it.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
I have deleted them from C:\User\Name\FSDreamteam.   So no registration keys should be on my airport for KORD, JFKv2, KLASv2.

Nowhere I said you should delete a scenery manually from  C:\Users. This is first a big mistake, since we have a proper uninstaller, and you should NEVER remove the scenery manually. And, of course, this hasn't affected in any way the registration because, as I've said, the registration is IN THE REGISTRY, it's NOT a file!

Re-read my previous post, please.

kenthom

I have deleted them from C:\User\Name\FSDreamteam.   So no registration keys should be on my airport for KORD, JFKv2, KLASv2.

Nowhere I said you should delete a scenery manually from  C:\Users. This is first a big mistake, since we have a proper uninstaller, and you should NEVER remove the scenery manually. And, of course, this hasn't affected in any way the registration because, as I've said, the registration is IN THE REGISTRY, it's NOT a file!

Re-read my previous post, please.

I ran your uninstaller and I ran the uninstall function via Windows before I ever contacted you.  I Deactivated via the Addon Manager after your post.  None of those worked.  So now that I have made all the mistakes how do you suggest I get rid of them?  Should I download again, activate, and then deactivate?   

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
I ran your uninstaller and I ran the uninstall function via Windows before I ever contacted you.

Which, as I've said already in my first reply, won't do anything to the Serial Number in your registry.

I Deactivated via the Addon Manager after your post.  None of those worked.  So now that I have made all the mistakes how do you suggest I get rid of them?  Should I download again, activate, and then deactivate?   

You cannot Deactivate a scenery that is not active. That's why I keep saying you are not saying something in your report. You said you see a message prompting to activate the scenery. That's because you have a Serial Number that is not Activatated yet, but it's present in the registry.

Then why you don't simply reply YES to that question ? You can Deactivate then, if you need, but you must Activate first!

kenthom

I ran your uninstaller and I ran the uninstall function via Windows before I ever contacted you.

Which, as I've said already in my first reply, won't do anything to the Serial Number in your registry.

I Deactivated via the Addon Manager after your post.  None of those worked.  So now that I have made all the mistakes how do you suggest I get rid of them?  Should I download again, activate, and then deactivate?   

You cannot Deactivate a scenery that is not active. That's why I keep saying you are not saying something in your report. You said you see a message prompting to activate the scenery. That's because you have a Serial Number that is not Activatated yet, but it's present in the registry.

Then why you don't simply reply YES to that question ? You can Deactivate then, if you need, but you must Activate first!

I won't go into why I was confused by your directions and the actions I had already taken.  Your last sentence said everything you needed to say.