Author Topic: How do you create such fantastic products?  (Read 2926 times)

mistyblue

How do you create such fantastic products?
« on: June 10, 2013, 08:41:20 am »
Hi! I'm wanting to get my feet wet and perhaps give a go at trying to recreate San Antonio (KSAT) airport in FSX as it's in my home city and I don't like the simplistic versions I've found out there.  Particularly flying the short hop from FSDT's incredible KDFW along with Megascenery Earth, San Antonio now totally ruins the high quality experience!

I highly respect and admire the work FSDT does with their airports and I'm hoping I could get some pointers.  I thought I remember virtuali filling us in on the design process somewhere on here but can't seem to find the thread, so I apologize if this has already been put out there.

Much of the free stuff out there is often very cartoonish looking so what is it that developers do to make their products look so much better?  Skill with Photoshop to create great textures?  Advanced modeling programs (ADE, 3D CAD, etc)?   Special programming skills (C# and the like)?  Access to high-res imagery?  So I guess I'm asking where should I start on the road to something higher quality?

I realize Rome wasn't built in a day so it will take practice.  Fortunately KSAT isn't that big so it's probably a good project.  Just helps to know where to start :)

Thanks very much!
Tony

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: How do you create such fantastic products?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 12:07:45 pm »
Much of the free stuff out there is often very cartoonish looking so what is it that developers do to make their products look so much better?

The main difference between some freeware stuff (and I have to say, even some commercial stuff...) and the best commercial products, it's usually that freeware developers, especially on the area of textures, focus too much on the wrong thing, which are the texture's "colors", as seen in a graphic editing software (say, Photoshop, Gimp, etc.), without realizing they'll look different in the sim, and they forget that the most important part of a texture are NOT the colors but, instead, the contrast between dark and light and how shadows should be applied.

Colors are not really important, because they keep changing even in real life (just compare different real life pictures taken at different times of the day of the same airport, colors will look very different), what makes the difference between what you call "cartoonish" and a very well developed scenery, is how the scenery author understood LIGHT (and shadows, of course, which is the same thing).

Don't ever forget that "Photography" really means "Drawing with light" and "Photorealistic" it's something that depicts light realistically...

Skill with Photoshop to create great textures?  Advanced modeling programs (ADE, 3D CAD, etc)?   Special programming skills (C# and the like)?  Access to high-res imagery?  So I guess I'm asking where should I start on the road to something higher quality?

You need all of these, adding knowledge of the FSX graphic engine quirks and limitations too. Access to high-res imagery is probably the less important thing.

mistyblue

Re: How do you create such fantastic products?
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 06:20:21 pm »
Thanks for that.  Being a photographer, I can certainly understand how proper lighting can make a huge difference.  I guess starting with a simple building model and experimenting with how changes in texture settings affect the look would be a good place to start.

What do you usually develop your models in?  3DS?