Author Topic: Multiple FSDT Live Update.exe files and icons on desktop  (Read 1527 times)

glc100o

Multiple FSDT Live Update.exe files and icons on desktop
« on: October 26, 2018, 08:46:09 pm »

Hello,
I have  two different icons on my desktop for FSDT updater. I have several airports and GSX/GSX level2 installed. I have one icon that is titled  FSDT Live Update, and points to Couatl_Updater.exe, and another icon called Couatl Updater which points to the same file in the FSDT Add On manager Folder via a shortcut. I presume I can delete one of these redundant icons. But I also have a second more recent file in the FSDT Addon Manager folder called Coautle_Updater2.exe. This is not referenced by any desktop icons.

Which .exe file is appropriate now for updating my GSX program and FSDT programs, so I can use just one shortcut on my desktop to update all of my programs and get rid of the others?

Thanks

Greg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Multiple FSDT Live Update.exe files and icons on desktop
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 10:01:34 pm »
Our installer only placed ONE icon on the Desktop, and the reason it has placed only one icon, is so you won't have to wonder which is the right file to start. The right file to start, is the one pointed by the icon, like any other Windows programs out there.

The second icon, which according to your report, points to the same file, seems like a duplicate, and this you likely created yourself, maybe inadvertently so, you can safely remove it, since removing a shortcut icon doesn't remove the file its linked to.

Nothing in the Addon Manager folder is redundant, and the Live Update will always keep that folder updated, with all the required files.

- If a file is there, it's because it's required.

- If a file is not required anymore, the next Live Update will remove it.

- If you remove a file you are not supposed to remove, the next Live Update will restore it (unless, of course, you remove the updater *itself*)

- The Desktop icon is there precisely for the reason so you don't have to wonder which program you must start. Couatl_updater.exe, of course.

So, basically, don't touch anything there. There are 2 .exe, because the first Couatl_updater.exe, which is the one you'll always start if you use the program as documented ( from the Desktop icon ), is there *just* to download the latest Couatl_updater2.exe, which is what will do the "real" update job. So, this way, the updater can "update itself".

It just works, no need to mess around.

glc100o

Re: Multiple FSDT Live Update.exe files and icons on desktop
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 10:47:40 pm »
Perfect! I will leave alone.

Thanks

Greg