Author Topic: GSX handling operators  (Read 4398 times)

Donald

GSX handling operators
« on: January 26, 2018, 01:57:21 am »
Firstly, I would like to say how much I enjoy GSX over the years and the continual upgrades to a great product. Recently, after installing Orbx scenery and doing an update using FSTD live update3 I have run into and unusual problem that I did not have before it concerns the handing operators.  When I go to an airport in this case CYQR (Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada) I used to get a list of handling operators: Westjet, Air Canada etc. Now however I just get two operators : North Air, and  Strategic Aviation Canada, the later I have never seen before. (picture included)

What I have done to try and solve the problem:
1.   I reinstalled GSX
2.    I move CYQR to the top of the addon scenery in setting in FSX
3.    I check to make sure that the aircraft I was using as the appropriate atc_parking_codes and it does.
4.    I checked in GSX gate 2 to see if it had the airline codes and it does. (picture    included)
5.   When reinstalling GSX I noticed it did not ask me about using AFCAD or IOCO    codes.  (not sure about which one. I have not reinstalled for a long time.

I have no idea what I should do next. Could you please give me some direction in this regard.

I forgot to add that I also did a "restart couatl and rebuild airport cache"
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 11:03:27 pm by Donald »

Pirateinparadise

Re: GSX handling operators
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 04:50:36 pm »

I've recently run into a similar situation. I use Taxi2Gate's KMCO and I landed there in a United B737. I was assigned a forty something gate. I was not given United as a choice, so I added UAL to that gate. I've since been directed to the same gate a couple of times and I still do not get offered United as a choice. I did check, and the UAL entry was still there. I meant to ask about it here, but never got around to it. I'll see if I can figure out which gate that was. To be honest, I never added any airline codes to any gates before. This was my first try.

And yes, GSX is fantastic!
The drinking rum on the beach kind. Not the software stealing kind.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 01:28:09 pm »
To be honest, I never added any airline codes to any gates before. This was my first try.

That's precisely the reason why you don't seem to get the operator you think it should be there. I know the editor interface could be clarified a bit better but, this is exactly how the program is supposed to operate.

- If you never changed the airline codes in GSX, it will just "show" what the scenery developer has set in the AFCAD, so the rules will be the same as standard, which means an operator will appear ONLY if it's already one with the highest priority according to the default global assignment in GSX, and the airline code in the AFCAD will only used to break the ties, meaning if there are several operators with the same score for that airport, the ones with matching airline codes in the .BGL will get a preference.

- If you have changed the airline codes in the GSX editor, the codes you set will override the default global assignment in GSX, and will be used in any case.

In this case, checking the GSX default assignment, it shows that both Strategic Aviation and Air North have an higher score than WestJet, because they have a CY pattern, while WestJet only has a C pattern, so they win with 2 against 1, which means WestJet, by default, won't be used, regardless of the airline code.

There's a reason why GSX works like this (there's always a reason why GSX works in some way...), and is that at many airports, at international terminals, you'll see many codes for overseas companies, but just because they usually park there, or because they do flights with code-sharing. So, if GSX "just" blindly trusted the airline codes and use them anyway, you would end up in strange situations, like planes being served by British Airways at JFK, just because you parked where BA has a code there. That's why the code, by default, it's ONLY used as a tie-breaker.

But when YOU edit a parking, you are supposed to know what you are doing, so whatever you put there, it will be used. But it must have been you that made the change, not just the AFCAD.

So, try to allow GSX acknowledge the fact you edit the parking personally, which can be achieved in doing any change to the parking, not necessarily the airline codes but, if that's the only think you need to do, change/remove some of the code, or simply re-arrange them, so GSX will see you made a change and will save the changes knowing it was you that edited the airline codes, so they are not coming from the .BGL.

Of course, like everything else in the GSX parking editor, you can change a single parking, some parkings (selected with CTRL+Click), a terminal, or the whole airport, depending what you selected in the left tree-like structure. So, there's no need to do hundreds of clicks to fix the airline codes, because you can apply a change to multiple parking spots at once.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 12:30:52 pm by virtuali »

Donald

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 11:05:27 pm »
Thank you so much for your assistance. I followed your instructions and now everything is the way it should be. Thank you again.
Chuck