Author Topic: Rebuilding airport cache doesn't change anything  (Read 2143 times)

Just Caliber

Rebuilding airport cache doesn't change anything
« on: October 06, 2017, 07:27:27 am »
So this is a problem with any airport that I load via the in-game scenery library. This has happened with FlyTampa YUL, LatinVFR MIAv3 and T2G HKG, MEX, and IST. I am using P3Dv4 and I am fully aware the T2G airports aren't technically compatible with P3Dv4 but LatinVFR and FlyTampa is. I just restart the sim and that fixes it. But the point of the "Restart Couatl and Rebuild Airport Cache" is to fix the AFCAD which it isn't doing at all.

So either I am not doing something right, or GSX isn't grabbing the correct AFCAD. No matter the amount of times I rebuild the cache it doesn't change. Kind of a pain in the ass when you fly into an airport and your ground crew are waiting for you in the middle of a taxiway.

Hopefully you can give me a hand with this.

Cheers,

Will

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Rebuilding airport cache doesn't change anything
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 09:47:15 am »
But the point of the "Restart Couatl and Rebuild Airport Cache" is to fix the AFCAD which it isn't doing at all.

That's not what that function does. The "Restart Couatl and Rebuild Airport Cache" cannot magically "fix" GSX to let it use the right AFCAD.

The one and only reason for that option to exists, is to let GSX detect a change in the file used when you *remove* a .BGL after the last time the cache was created, because removing a file doesn't change the folder last modification date, which GSX use to know if something has changed in the Scenery Library, because it's obviously much faster checking this way, rather than going through each file (could be thousands of them) at *each* start. That's the ONLY thing that option does: helping GSX changes due to manually removed files, which cannot be otherwise automatically detected.

To have GSX pick up the "right" AFCAD, instead, you must be sure the priority rules are respected, which means the scenery you want to use must be on an higher layer in the Scenery Library.

In addition to that, if a scenery developer use fictional ICAO codes for auxiliary airports like military bases or seaplane/helicopter bases inside or very close to the main one, you must exclude them using the "airport_visibility_xxxxx" command, as explained in the GSX manual.