Author Topic: Uninstall GSX/Prepar3D v4.1  (Read 5290 times)

rlw9sr

Uninstall GSX/Prepar3D v4.1
« on: October 22, 2017, 04:02:45 am »
I am having problems uninstalling the latest version of GSX.  I first uninstalled GSX with the CP (Win10).  After booting up Prepar3D v4.1, I was asked if I wished to activate GSX?  I've tried both YES and NO responses; the problem persists on every boot up of the sim.  I also used the Addon Manager to deactivate GSX; same issues.  What's strange is that the program is NOT shown in the Add/Remove programs dialog.  Any assistance will be appreciate--Thanks--

Robert

rlw9sr

Re: Uninstall GSX/Prepar3D v4.1
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 02:08:52 am »
Followup--Redownload the AddonManager and GSX.  Installed both.  Boot Prepar3D and answer YES to all questions.  GSX Menu shows on the ADDONs menu.  Close the sim.  Again boot up the sim.  Same questions are asked even as before.  It seems to be 1 continuous loop; the software never "remembers" it has been registered and activated--Any help would be appreciated--Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 03:04:56 pm »
I was asked if I wished to activate GSX?  I've tried both YES and NO responses

You mean you got the "Do you want to activate Fsdreamteam GSX on this PC ?" If yes, it's entirely normal the question will be made after you replied NO, because the only reason why you get that question, is that because you DO have a Serial Number for GSX in the Windows registry, coming from a previous installation.

So, you should always reply YES. What happens next ?

A reason why the activation doesn't "stay", is if you are running the sim in "Compatibility" mode, like XP under Windows 7 or Windows 7 under Windows 10, etc, which is not the correct way of operation and not how the sim is installed by default.

rlw9sr

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 06:15:07 pm »
Thanks for your comments.  Even if I answer "Yes," the next boot of the sim generates the same dialog (irrespective of whether I answer Yes or No).  The Prepar3D v4.1 (Win 10 Prof OS) is not run in compatibility mode.  I would appreciate any suggestions--

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 08:35:49 am »
Even if I answer "Yes," the next boot of the sim generates the same dialog (irrespective of whether I answer Yes or No). 

But are you getting the confirmation of a successful activation for that session ?

The Prepar3D v4.1 (Win 10 Prof OS) is not run in compatibility mode.  I would appreciate any suggestions--

That really seems to be a problem of the compatibility mode. Some modes are set in the registry, without showing up in the file Properties. Check this registry key with the REGEDIT standard utility:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

And be sure there's no key referring to Prepar3D.exe. If there is one, remove it.

rlw9sr

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 07:26:32 pm »
Thank you.  FWIW I did find several instances of the Activation Key in the Registry.  Would deleting these keys accomplish the same thing--inhibiting repeated activation requests?  Thanks again--

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 06:00:56 pm »
Would deleting these keys accomplish the same thing--inhibiting repeated activation requests?  Thanks again--

It will accomplish exactly the opposite: a new request to reactivate on the next startup.

If you reply YES, insert the Serial Number and get the confirmation the Activation has been successful, the NORMAL behavior would be that you won't be asked again until the next hardware change.

However, having the wrong Compatibility mode set, usually result in the activation not sticking, because the Compatibility mode actually redirects registry reads/writes, and I guess this confuses the Esellerate library.