Author Topic: Jetway  (Read 2377 times)

ManojYadavKp

Jetway
« on: November 25, 2016, 07:46:42 am »
Hello,

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before. I tried to search but I wasn't able to find anything relevant, maybe I wasn't using right keywords.

While using an addon scenery, the gate I was parked at had no jetway. But GSX was thinking that it had one. I know that this can be fixed by going Customize Airport Parking but the thing is, I checked with ADE. There was a jetway but it was set such that the jetway would only display when the scenery complexity is set to extremely dense. Is there something you can do that GSX reads the scenery complexity of my simulator setup and then checks if there is a jetway or not? I hope I'm not asking too much.

Kind regards.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Jetway
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 09:34:50 am »
Is there something you can do that GSX reads the scenery complexity of my simulator setup and then checks if there is a jetway or not?

You mean in the GSX operations, not in the editor ? The editor, I'd say, should always "tell the truth", so you will know there is a jetway, regardless of the Scenery Complexity.

In actual GSX, it's a bit tricky. The presence of a jetway doesn't "just" change the kind of services that will arrive, but it's also used as an indication on how much parking space *might* be available, which of course it's just a guess, since we cannot read the whole scenery, but just the AFCAD.

As an example, the marshaller will be placed at a different distance, depending if there's a jetway or not, because we assume that, if there's a jetway, there's likely be a wall, so we place the marshaller closer, in order not to risk placing inside a building. While on a parking with no jetways, which is *usually* an apron in the open, we place it farther away, so it will be easier to see especially from an higher cockpit. Of course, if we treated the parking as having not jetway, just because the Scenery Complexity is not high enough to display it, this logic would have to be adapted too.

Another potential source of problems, is that having 3 passenger stairs instead of just one, might not physically fit a terminal, and would easily conflict with other scenery elements, other AIs, so you would have to do extra work with the GSX parking editor, to customize the starting positions of those 2 extra jetways, something you don't have to do when there's a jetway, since they just don't appear.

Without even thinking that, the editor should probably have TWO set of customizations for each parking, one when you have a jetway and another when you don't.

As you can see, it would cause way more problems than what is supposed to solve, and you will be better off by simply raising the Scenery Complexity, which is by far the simplest solution.

ManojYadavKp

Re: Jetway
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 10:26:22 am »
Thanks for the clear explanation. I'm fine by manually customizing airport positions.

Thanks for the support Umberto!