Author Topic: Curious about Follow Me vehicle Behaviour  (Read 2361 times)

Charles246

Curious about Follow Me vehicle Behaviour
« on: December 02, 2015, 08:40:28 pm »
Aircraft: A2A Cessna Skyhawk
Runway: 27R
Taxiway U

After landing on 27R I exited left on Taxiway Uniform. Proceeded a little bit South. Stopped completely; Called for FollowMe Vehicle for North Parking #1 spot.

Vehicle came, ran past me and waited behind me, facing the same way I was. Only when I did a 360 turn and came behind the vehicle did it start to move in the same direction I had been facing. It took me correctly to the right parking spot.

This particular behavior happens to me a lot and I was just wondering why it happens. I thought it would be more logical (and safer) for the vehicle to come towards you, stop some distance away and then wait in front of the stationary aircraft and lead on if it is going in the same direction, in my case South on Uniform.

Thanks for an interesting product. I find the Marshal (or his evaluation) to be too fussy but I did manage to get him to dance a few times.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Curious about Follow Me vehicle Behaviour
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 10:39:50 am »
We'll check this but, in general, the Follow me tries to use the taxiways network, up to a certain point when it approaches the airplane so, it's possible that, depending on your position, that was the only path it could undertake. It's possible the path might have been different, if your position was just a bit different.

Charles246

Re: Curious about Follow Me vehicle Behaviour
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 05:04:59 pm »
We'll check this but, in general, the Follow me tries to use the taxiways network, up to a certain point when it approaches the airplane so, it's possible that, depending on your position, that was the only path it could undertake. It's possible the path might have been different, if your position was just a bit different.
Thank you for your quick reply. My position was  in the center of the taxiway. And not too far from the exit of the runway 27R. The Follow me came at me from the other end of the taxiway.  As I was stationary, I think it should have stopped some distance in front of me, made a 180 turn and flashed the "Follow me" lights.  Maybe the size of the Aircraft and its motion or non motion has something to do with this?
It is not a serious  problem but  more of an irritation.  With a small aircraft I can easily maneuver around it but with a larger  Aircraft I will have to ignore the Follow me flashing lights behind me and find the gate without its help.