Author Topic: RUNWAY STARTS!? **SOLVED**  (Read 2888 times)

crauds

RUNWAY STARTS!? **SOLVED**
« on: September 26, 2015, 02:48:43 am »
Hi Umberto!

I am getting runway start positions listed as GSX gate options when I request gate for parking.  I am sure this is some sort of glitch.  Any suggestions on why this is happening and how I might correct it?  I have tried to edit the parking spots from the coatl menu while in FSX but only the actual gates are listed.  I have not changed any of the AFCADS and this only began after the last update! 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 09:02:29 am by virtuali »
Craig Williams
I7 7700K OC to 4.8Ghz 16GB DDR4 2666Mhz SD RAM GTX1060 6GB LIQ Cooled Win10 Home 64

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: RUNWAY STARTS!?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 11:26:12 am »
I am getting runway start positions listed as GSX gate options when I request gate for parking.  I am sure this is some sort of glitch.

WOW, we add new features (this one has been requested by so many users), and they are seen as "glitches"...

First, you don't request a gate "for parking". When you are outside a parking, GSX never automatically assume you want to select a gate "for parking"

You just select a gate, and what you will do with it, will be decided on the NEXT menu, which will ask you if you want a Follow Me, or if you want to use the "Just Warp me there" option.

If you select you want a Follow Me, the Runway Starts position are there for the NEW Follow Me TO THE RUNWAY Feature , which has been asked so many times by users.

As I've said, the menu is there in any case when you call GSX outside a parking so, you might have just ended Pushback, so you can use the Follow Me to guide you to a runway or, if you are short on time, you can "Warp" to the runway too.

crauds

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 06:41:54 pm »
   My apologies!  I have never experienced a "follow-me" vehicle to a departure runway in the real world (35 years commercial aviation).  I can't imagine a departure queue at a major airport with a "follow-me" truck ahead of each aircraft!  Where would the truck go once it reached the departure end of runway ahead of the aircraft?  How would it turn around without going onto the active runway?  The taxiways aren't wide enough to allow it to pass back by a large airliner.  Maybe strictly for GA aircraft?  Again most everything you have done so far with GSX added to the realism so this comes as a bit of a surprise.

Again, my apologies.  I was unaware this was a new and requested feature.  I do appreciate all the great work you have done but if I may make a suggestion for a future update then, could you please include all runway starts into a separate "runway start" submenu so they won't clutter up the gate/parking  choices? 
Craig Williams
I7 7700K OC to 4.8Ghz 16GB DDR4 2666Mhz SD RAM GTX1060 6GB LIQ Cooled Win10 Home 64

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 09:27:07 am »
My apologies!  I have never experienced a "follow-me" vehicle to a departure runway in the real world (35 years commercial aviation).  I can't imagine a departure queue at a major airport with a "follow-me" truck ahead of each aircraft!

One reason why we waited to add it, was that a Follow me to the runway procedure is basically used only in Europe, and even here, it's still not a common procedure so, we feared that users in the US (the vast majority of the user base) would think it's not realistic...

Of course, it's not possible to satisfy everyone, see some messages here from a couple of years ago:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/399930-gsx-follow-me-quick-question/

- Playing about with the demo. How do i get the follow me car to the runway?

- You don't. One of the reasons I didn't buy GSX. The follow me car only leads you from the runway to the gates/parking.

- Oh thats a bit rubbish! Whats the point in only implementing half of it lol. looks like I'll have to stick with the freeware Follow me car!

Looking at the names and the banners from those two users on Avsim, they seem to be both european. And of course, others that posted, said it's an unrealistic procedure.

A post here on Airliners, discussing how Follow Me to the runway is used at Budapest airport:

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/3104379/

Where would the truck go once it reached the departure end of runway ahead of the aircraft?  How would it turn around without going onto the active runway?

These were the issues we ran into while we were in Beta.

I do appreciate all the great work you have done but if I may make a suggestion for a future update then, could you please include all runway starts into a separate "runway start" submenu so they won't clutter up the gate/parking  choices?  

Maybe, but then you'll have to go through an additional keypress to get there, even when there's just a single runway.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 11:53:16 pm by virtuali »

crauds

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 11:59:13 am »
Keep up the good work.  Again, my apologies for over-reacting.
Craig Williams