Author Topic: GSX not starting in FSX  (Read 8608 times)

David Broadhurst

GSX not starting in FSX
« on: June 02, 2015, 06:50:01 pm »
I have FSX with Acceleration installed on my dedicated gaming computer.  GSX does not start.  I see the screen that allows me to register the product and view the manual but no link into the software is apparent.  This is a download version, purchased from Just Flight.  I have reinstalled GSX several times and all the screens tell me it is functional.  So, what am I missing please?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX not starting in FSX
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 10:54:57 pm »
If you have the "Couatl powered products" menu under the FSX "Addons" menu, with the GSX sub-entries under it, it means everything is running correctly, so you only need to start GSX, using the hotkey which, as explained on the manual, by default is set to be CTRL+F12 or CTRL+Shift+F12

David Broadhurst

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 08:28:52 pm »
Thanks for your reply.  Evidently GSX is not working on my machine.  All is as you suggested in your note but no options other than the page of different software choices for clouds, scenery etc and a link to the manual appear under the addons icon.  Only the grey ms airport trucks, which GSX software apparently should block out and replace.  Doesn't happen.  I have reinstalled GSX - again, to no avail.  I'm missing something here and I don't see any alternative other than what I have now done, ie reinstall, several times.  It doesn't work.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 09:33:28 pm »
no options other than the page of different software choices for clouds, scenery etc and a link to the manual appear under the addons icon.

Haven't said anything about an addons icon. I said to check under the "Addons" MENU.

- Do you have an "Addons" MENU under the main FSX menu bar to begin with ?

- If you have it, do you have BOTH the "Addon Manager" AND the "Couatl powered products" menu under the "Addons" menu ?

Only the grey ms airport trucks, which GSX software apparently should block out and replace.

GSX it's not supposed to block or replace anything, except the default tow truck. The GSX vehicles are separate, and in addition to the default ones, which are ONLY removed when you select a parking and start any GSX operation on it.

I have reinstalled GSX - again, to no avail.  I'm missing something here and I don't see any alternative other than what I have now done, ie reinstall, several times.  It doesn't work.

Nobody said to reinstall, let alone doing it several times.

Depending on your reply to the above questions about the menu items, the troubleshooting steps to undertake will change, depending if you are missing the entire "Addons" menu, or just the "Addon Manager", or just the Couatl entry.

David Broadhurst

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 01:14:01 pm »
missing the couatl menu option from the drop down Addons on the menu bar across the top of the screen

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 01:40:57 pm »
missing the couatl menu option from the drop down Addons on the menu bar across the top of the screen

If you are missing just the Couatl entry, but you have the Addon Manager entry, the most common cause is the antivirus mistakenly blocking the program from starting.

- Uninstall GSX. Reply YES when asked if you want to remove the Addon Manager and the Couatl Engine. Reply YES to both questions.

- TURN OFF your antivirus. Don't just exit from its interface, but turn off the real time protection. Actual wording changes between products, however, it's the option to scan every file that gets open in real time, without user intervention.

- Reinstall GSX with the Antivirus TURNED OFF. Don't launch FSX yet.

- Configure the antivirus to exclude the following files from scanning:

YourFSXFolder\bglmanx.dll
YourFSXFolder\fsdreamteam\Couatl\couatl.exe

YourFSXFolder it's usually C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X, if you installed it in the default folder.

- Now you can turn the antivirus back on, and launch FSX.

- Check you are seeing BOTH the "Addon Manager" menu AND the "Couatl powered products" menu under the "Addons" menu

David Broadhurst

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 05:40:58 pm »
It is now working. Thank you.