Author Topic: Geographical Location of JFK  (Read 5178 times)

Jov53

Geographical Location of JFK
« on: September 01, 2014, 08:42:32 am »
I seem to have a probelm with the location of the Airport. An approach on 22R produced an ILS landing that was considerably to
the right of the displayed runway.
Furthermore, a parking position A223 produced a plane parking in a wall (attachments)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Geographical Location of JFK
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 10:23:04 am »
As explained many times on the forum, whenever you have AI and/or your own airplane clearly misplaced at any airport, is NEVER a problem of that airport, and it's ALWAYS a problem caused by another scenery which has a conflicting AFCAD for the same airports.

One of the most common cause of such problems, are AFCADs installed with AI Traffic packages like Traffic X, My Traffic, etc. They are supposed to be used only with the default scenery.

Use the free FSX Airport Scanner program to search for AFCAD duplicates, and remove them all.

And, be sure you keep the airport on an higher layer in the Scenery Library, which is where the installer automatically puts it by default.

Jov53

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 11:02:34 am »
Thanks for the answer. Since I'm new in this forum, please excuse my ignorance.
I scanned my installation, there are no airport duplicates.
Could the installation of the PMDG 777 be a problem, it seems, the plane is
parked to much in front, way out of all the parking markers.
How could I fix that?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 11:39:16 am »
Are the AI airplanes positioned correctly ? If yes, the problem in your screenshot it's just that you tried to park the 777 in a parking too small for it.

However, your report about the ILS being wrong, seems to indicate you have a scenery conflict, one that the Airport Scanner might not detect, so you must search for it manually, find any .BGL file that has a name related to JFK. Of course, don't touch anything in the FSDT JFK folder.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 11:40:47 am by virtuali »

Jov53

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 07:39:47 pm »
The Parking bay I selected is labeled as "Large". Do they come larger than that? I did not find anything bigger than large.
I did not find any duplicate sceneries. That might be partially since I started a whole new installation a few days ago an I am testing.
Exhibit 1 shows the result of a manual search in the FSX directory.
Also I repeated the RW 22R approach and made some screenshots to show what was happening.
I really don't know why this is happening. It should be possible to make an automatic ILS-landing on the center line, I think.
Thanks for considering.

pilot3033

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 08:12:48 am »
I'm pretty sure the ILS 22R at JFK is still offset. That is, it doesn't actually line up with the runway, and it can *not* be used for a CATIII Autoland. When you look up available approach plates for Kennedy, you'll noticed that 22L has two entries, one for CATI/LOC and one for CATII/CATIII. 22R just has the one approach. The reasoning behind this is that the equipment is actually located next to, not in line with, the runway due to a wildlife refuge nearby. When landing in low visibility on 22R, the procedure is to follow the localizer and glideslope until the runway is in sight, and then land manually (you'll notice that the ILS minimums are higher for 22R, as well).

22R is primarily for departures, most aircraft land on 22L when JFK is landing in that configuration, and sometimes smaller jets or overflow can use 22R if there is a lull in departing traffic.

As for your parking issue, try using GSX (ctrl+F12) to pick a parking spot, it will tell if you a stand or gate you want is too small for your aircraft. The one in your screenshot is of Delta's commuter portion of their terminal, and normally parks CRJs, ERJs and the like.

Edit: Looking at your screenshot, PMDG's 777 even has the line drawn correctly. You can see that it it not parallel with the indicated runway, but actually draws a slight diagonal across it to the invisible initial fix for the missed approach. When you do an ILS for 22L you'll see that the course is also 225, not 222.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 08:18:18 am by pilot3033 »

Jov53

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 09:03:15 am »
Thanks pilot 3033! your information from the real world is greatly appreciated. I had noticed that RW 22R is somewhat off on the default FSX scenery and thougth by buying the airport from
fsdreamteam could fix the problem. But now it all makes sense, thank you! :o)