Author Topic: Addon Manager wont connect to the internet  (Read 3604 times)

doublebubble

Addon Manager wont connect to the internet
« on: May 08, 2014, 05:12:15 am »
Hi, I've been trying to update the addon manager without success, I can download the stand alone manager with out any problem run it then half way through it stops and say's unable to connect to the internet because there's no internet connection, it does have internet connection, also tried with AV turned off, firewall turned off could someone please advise.

Cheers Rod.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Addon Manager wont connect to the internet
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 02:20:16 pm »
I've tried it now, and there are no problems downloading during the installation.

During the online part of the installation, two different servers are used, to minimize the risk of not being able to download if one of them might eventually be offline. They are selected randomly at each installation so, if one of the server was down (we don't have any report of this, but it might happen, maybe for a brief time), you might just try it again, hopefully the installer will pick up the other server on the next run.

If this doesn't fix it, the problem is then surely something in your system which is blocking online access to from the installer to the download servers, like an antivirus, an anti-spyware, a firewall.

But keep in mind that, the whole point of the Stand-Alone Addon Manager installer, is that you download that one, to get all the latest updates. Which means, if you just downloaded it now, you can be sure the files contained in the installer ARE the most current version, so you don't NEED the online files, because they are exactly the same version.

The installer can obviously work offline, it's enough that, when you see the "No Internet Connection, press Next to use local files" message, you do what the message says, and press the Next button, so the installation will continue using only files contained in the installer which, if you just downloaded it, are the latest version.

doublebubble

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 12:06:22 am »
Virtuali thanks for the explanation I'll have another look aroung the AV area but I'm sure it's fine as nothing has changed this end as far as AV is concerned and having GSX installed for a long time and updated the stand alone manager many times over the year without any problems before just found it to be a little strange, thanks again.

Cheers Rod.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 03:08:47 am »
nothing has changed this end as far as AV is concerned.

As I've said, antivirus is just ONE of the possible causes of failure to connect to the internet by the installer. The others, which are all possible, were:

1) A firewall

2) An anti-spyware

3) One of our two servers might have been really down when you tried it, and since they are selected randomly, you might have been just unlucky with the installer picking the wrong one, maybe several times in a row.