Author Topic: P3D 2.1 Zürich, black panel etc  (Read 7614 times)

Jürgen

P3D 2.1 Zürich, black panel etc
« on: February 21, 2014, 04:19:25 pm »
I used this scenery on my P3D2.0 without problems (except that pedestrians are walking backward instead of forward).

The trouble started when 2.1 came out and I completely deinstalled version 2.0 as well as all all my add-ons. Then I installed 2.1 afresh. All worked fine, so I installed the newly dowloaded Zürich scenery. The installation went smooth but when placing the aircraft at Zürich, after a few seconds the panel of my aircraft disappeared by becoming black (2D), the menue bar at the top disappears and the instruments of the VC are not there. This happens with the standard Beech Baron 58 but also with other aircraft.

Apart from this it appears that the scenery is functioning allright (again with the exception of pedestrians still moving bachwards).

My system:W7 64, 16GB RAM, i7-3930K, Nvidia Titan, P3D 2.1 Academic

I also tried it on another PC (W7 64, Q9550, 8GB RAM, GTX670) with the same result.

Any suggestions?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: P3D 2.1 Zürich, black panel etc
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 04:37:13 pm »
The problems with Zurich, Geneva and the Hawaiian airports has been discussed and answered on this forum several times.

Here:
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,9817.0.html

Here:
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,9904.0.html

Jürgen

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 04:57:18 pm »
The problems with Zurich, Geneva and the Hawaiian airports has been discussed and answered on this forum several times.

I have seen this but all this refers to 2.0 which worked fine for me. The problems with only this scenery (I have no other sceneries from FSDT)  started with 2.1 were LM fixed many of the problems of version 2.0.

And by the way, I use a lot of other sceneries mainly from Aerosoft and Fly Tampa. None of them has major problems apart from missing runway lights with some of the very old sceneries.

Not having any functioning panel and also no menue bar renders this scenery useless on 2.1. How come that only FSDT Zürich shows such faults?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 05:19:39 pm »
I have seen this but all this refers to 2.0 which worked fine for me. The problems with only this scenery (I have no other sceneries from FSDT)  started with 2.1 were LM fixed many of the problems of version 2.0.

The problem hasn't changed a bit from 2.0 to 2.1. We were *hoping* that LM would have fixed this in 2.1, but it has remained exactly as it was in 2.0

This means, we'll have to find an alternate solution now.

And by the way, I use a lot of other sceneries mainly from Aerosoft and Fly Tampa. None of them has major problems apart from missing runway lights with some of the very old sceneries.

The "missing runway lights" ARE the issue!

If you are Ok with missing runway lights, you could fix this by simply removing the LSZH_SCA.BGL file, this will fix the problem, but you'll lose runway lights. So, as you can see, the problem affects many other sceneries, but I don't think losing runway lights should be a solution, we'll of course it fix in the proper way, not by simply removing the file that contains the unsupported command, which is what you can do now.

Not having any functioning panel and also no menue bar renders this scenery useless on 2.1. How come that only FSDT Zürich shows such faults?

As I've said, it's not just Zurich. It might be "only" Zurich, of those YOU tried. But ANY other scenery that uses runway lights made in a certain way (using an invisible SCASM runway) will EITHER have the missing menu OR they will miss runway lights.

Jürgen

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 07:06:09 pm »
The problem hasn't changed a bit from 2.0 to 2.1. We were *hoping* that LM would have fixed this in 2.1, but it has remained exactly as it was in 2.0

Quite the contrary is true for me. With version 2.0 the scenery worked fine (apart from the movement of pedestrians, and not having tested the landing lights). But now with 2.1 I have black (2D) panels and no instruments in the VC plus the missing menue bar, therefore I can not use this scenery with version 2.1 at all.

If you are Ok with missing runway lights, you could fix this by simply removing the LSZH_SCA.BGL file, this will fix the problem, but you'll lose runway lights. So, as you can see, the problem affects many other sceneries, but I don't think losing runway lights should be a solution, we'll of course it fix in the proper way, not by simply removing the file that contains the unsupported command, which is what you can do now.

I dont mind the missing runway lights (at least as a temporary solution). So I adhered your advice by renaming that file. Now I do have the panels and the menue bar but as you said, there are no runway lights. Thanks.

But ANY other scenery that uses runway lights made in a certain way (using an invisible SCASM runway) will EITHER have the missing menu OR they will miss runway lights.

Well, so it appears that Aerosoft uses a different way at least for their Stuttgart scenery. As you can see from the (hopefully) attached screenshot, I have the panel, the menue bar and also the runway lights.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 09:34:06 pm »
Quite the contrary is true for me. With version 2.0 the scenery worked fine (apart from the movement of pedestrians, and not having tested the landing lights)

I can only repeat and confirm the missing menu bar and the progressive loss of fps was always present in Zurich in version 2.0. And besides, you said yourself that those threads were referring to 2.0, that would be enough indication the problem was already there, because people HAD noticed it! It was, as I've said, a 2.0 bug that we HOPED it would be fixed with 2.1, but it hasn't. We obviously reported to LM as soon we find it out, and we even got word that it would have been looked at, but the a few days before the final release, they said there wasn't no time. But with all the reports coming in with problems with 2.1, I'm fairly sure it will be patched again very soon.

But now with 2.1 I have black (2D) panels and no instruments in the VC plus the missing menue bar, therefore I can not use this scenery with version 2.1 at all.

I was referring ONLY to the missing menu bar, and the progressive loss of fps and this WAS present since 2.0. The black 2D panel is something new, that might have been appeared in 2.1, but that doesn't change the fact the *cause* is exactly the same as it was with 2.0, even if the *effect* is now even worse, and of course the *solution* is also the same: remove that .BGL, while waiting we'll come out with a better fix.

But ANY other scenery that uses runway lights made in a certain way (using an invisible SCASM runway) will EITHER have the missing menu OR they will miss runway lights.

Well, so it appears that Aerosoft uses a different way at least for their Stuttgart scenery. As you can see from the (hopefully) attached screenshot, I have the panel, the menue bar and also the runway lights.

You said:

"I use a lot of other sceneries mainly from Aerosoft and Fly Tampa. None of them has major problems apart from missing runway lights with some of the very old sceneries"

Not all sceneries (only 4 out of 13 of our own sceneries have this issue) have problems, but it's NOT an FSDT-specific problem either, since you said that some sceneries from other developers have missing runway lights too.

I'll repeat it again: ONLY sceneries, coming from EVERY developer, using a SCASM invisible runway command, which is not supported in P3D 2.x will show this problem.

We don't use this method since many years, but just like like those older sceneries from Aerosoft and FlyTampa you were probably referring to that when you said they were also missing runway lights, our older sceneries will have to be patched.

There might be hundreds of sceneries affected too, especially freeware and/or older stuff. Zurich was our first scenery, it was released 7 years ago, when almost everybody used FS9, and that method was very common and 100% legit to use, and didn't had any problem until P3D 2.0, not even P3D 1.x had problems with it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 09:37:59 pm by virtuali »

Jürgen

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 12:06:42 pm »
I know one shouldn't argue with an Administrator but we are still turning in circles:

1. For me personally - and this is what counts for me - Zürich was fine with 2.0. The real problems started with 2.1 with no panels and no menue bar thus making this scenery unusable. At least this has been somehow solved by deleting the bgl-file as you suggested and  by doing so forfeiting the runway lights. A scenery without runway lights can be used but a scenery that kills the 2D panel, the VC and the menue bar can simply not be used at all.

2. One has also to accept that people are walking backwards .....................

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 01:00:45 pm »
1. For me personally - and this is what counts for me - Zürich was fine with 2.0.

It was exactly the same with 2.0, with regard to the missing menu bar and the progressive fps loss. You just haven't noticed it, but the problem was there, for exactly the same reason. Or, why you think there WERE threads about it which, as you pointed out, started with version 2.0 already ?

This message, about the missing menu bar in Zurich with P3D:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,9817.0.html

Was posted on January 25th, while P3D 2.1 was released February 10th so, it's quite clear the problem was already there.

The real problems started with 2.1 with no panels and no menue bar thus making this scenery unusable.

The 2.1 added the problem of missing 2d panel, but the missing menu bar was already there in 2.0

At least this has been somehow solved by deleting the bgl-file as you suggested and  by doing so forfeiting the runway lights. A scenery without runway lights can be used but a scenery that kills the 2D panel, the VC and the menue bar can simply not be used at all.

Which is exactly why I've posted the above solution, which would bring the scenery in the SAME situation that you reported about "other Aerosoft and Flytampa sceneries", that don't have any problems, except the missing runway lights.

2. One has also to accept that people are walking backwards .....................

Since they are surely not walking backwards in FSX, that can only be another P3D bug.

Do you think we should change the scenery to have people moving backwards in FSX, so they maybe would move correctly in P3D, or we should probably assume this is a bug that SHOULD be fixed by LM ? Because, if the bug would be fixed, we would have to re-fix back as they were...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 01:04:03 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 04:15:36 pm »
I'm happy to report this problem has been fixed in the upcoming P3D v2.2