Author Topic: Removing GSX, LAX and JFKv2  (Read 6062 times)

por930

Removing GSX, LAX and JFKv2
« on: January 01, 2014, 03:09:16 pm »
I am having some serious tearing issues with my video/config settings, when using ORBX, LAX and JFK so want to remove these and GSX software and get the video card issues resolved, then re-install one by one to sort out issues.

I notice when all three of the FSDT items removed, there must be some bits left over for manual removal as when starting FSX, it always notifies me that SCENERY.CFG file error. Local scenery directory (fsDreamTeamLKAX_V2\SCENERY) in scenery area.117 not found..etc etc. Where do I edit these out of the startup so I can get back to a clean config to restart every thing?

My two main issues were when viewing in F12 mode and say at certain zoom, the whole airport view would tear into several big triangular bits jigging about. And the other thing is I lost my taxi ground markings. They are there...sort of, but very blurd...

I have a NVIDA GeForce GTX 580...maybe getting a little old now?

Regards

Geoff

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Removing GSX, LAX and JFKv2
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 06:19:54 pm »
I notice when all three of the FSDT items removed, there must be some bits left over for manual removal as when starting FSX, it always notifies me that SCENERY.CFG file error. Local scenery directory (fsDreamTeamLKAX_V2\SCENERY) in scenery area.117 not found..etc etc. Where do I edit these out of the startup so I can get back to a clean config to restart every thing?

There was a problem with the previous version of the installers for P3D/FSX, which has now been fixed in the updated versions are online now. However, you can remove the orphaned areas in the Scenery Library menu, they don't cause any problem other than the annoying start up message (which will go away if you remove the area with the Scenery Library), because the scenery files are removed anyway.

My two main issues were when viewing in F12 mode and say at certain zoom, the whole airport view would tear into several big triangular bits jigging about. And the other thing is I lost my taxi ground markings. They are there...sort of, but very blurd...

Most likely, it's a problem with your video drivers or settings, or video memory corruption.

Try all the following:

- Update your video driver

- Reset your video driver settings to default

- Reset the FSX settings to default, by removing the following file:

%APPDATA%\Microsof\FSX\FSX.CFG

This will force FSX to rebuild a new config with all default settings. After doing this, be sure you apply the HIGHMEMFIX tweak in the Addon Manager, save the settings and restart FSX.

por930

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 01:07:36 am »
Thankyou Umberto, Will do this today.

Does it matter when FSX loads the third party sceneries which order they go? eg, depending whose loaded first ...last etc, FSDT, ORBX  FSX default, and is FSX "smart" enough to work out whose scenery to use when in 'that' part of the world coming down the above order?
e.g. If the airport is not in the FSDT library, then FSX check ORBX, if not there, then use the FSX default scenery?

Regards
Geoff

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 09:45:13 am »
Does it matter when FSX loads the third party sceneries which order they go? eg, depending whose loaded first ...last etc, FSDT, ORBX  FSX default, and is FSX "smart" enough to work out whose scenery to use when in 'that' part of the world coming down the above order?e.g. If the airport is not in the FSDT library, then FSX check ORBX, if not there, then use the FSX default scenery?

Too complex to explain in a forum post and, there isn't a general rule, because it depends what the sceneries do and how they are made. Sometimes conflicts are inevitable.

As a rule of thumb, in the Scenery Library, you want to have the scenery covering the smallest area to be on top of something that cover a larger area. Which means, put all your airports on top, area scenery add-ons in the middle, and all default scenery at the bottom (meaning, don't touch the default areas)

por930

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 03:47:55 am »
Hi Umberto,
I updated my video driver...which crashed FSX for what ever reason...so I ended up doing a full FSX, and all attached software removal. (did not realise I had so much attached....) Anyway after a several hours, every thing removed, and FSX reinstalled with ORBX Australia added with YBBN and YMML. All works sweet again. Loaded GSX, works great. Now just loaded PMDG 737NGX and so far no issues. After each, I test the video flashing, which as you suggested with replacement video driver, presently has disappeared. Later today I will re-install REX+OD, FSDT LAX and JFK...

Regards
Geoff

por930

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 09:00:23 am »
Hi Umberto,
OK I did find an issue with GSX and YBBN when I install ORBX FTXAUYBBN120_PATCH.exe.... GSX no longer works at YBBN. It brings up an error see pic 1. The patch gives the option of not using the standard polygon base but photo realistic ground see pic.2. However, GSX  does not like this patch, even when no selections are made and in theory, the scenery has not been changed, other than maybe the patch changing some addresses etc? Anyway, it seems GSX not too happy.

As long as I re-install the original YBBN 1.00, and forgo the improved scenery, then all ok again.

Regards
Geoff

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 01:46:56 pm »
OK I did find an issue with GSX and YBBN when I install ORBX FTXAUYBBN120_PATCH.exe.... GSX no longer works at YBBN. It brings up an error see pic 1. The patch gives the option of not using the standard polygon base but photo realistic ground see pic.2. However, GSX  does not like this patch, even when no selections are made and in theory, the scenery has not been changed, other than maybe the patch changing some addresses etc? Anyway, it seems GSX not too happy.

It's possible that configuration utility from OrbX is keeping the files open, which of course shouldn't be done. Try to configure it as you want (with FSX closed, of course), and restart Windows.

Then start FSX without starting that utility again, and let GSX rebuild its cache.

por930

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 01:28:33 am »
Hi Umberto,

With no patch
1. Loaded OrbX YBBN. Started FSX, chose YBBN, GSX rebuilds its cache and works correctly.

With patch and no reboot.
2. Loaded the OrbX YBBN 120 patch, made selection, Started FSX, chose YBBN, GSX does not rebuild its cache and does not work, same warning message displayed.

With patch and reboot
1. Loaded OrbX YBBN. Loaded the OrbX YBBN 120 patch, made selection, Rebooted machine, Started FSX, chose YBBN, GSX does not rebuild its cache and does not work, same warning message displayed.

It is like GSX is expecting to find 'polygons' but finds a another type of file?
One would presume other users with Win 7 machines, FSX, GSX, Orbx YBBN, would have installed the YBBN 1.20 patch?

I have included the 'no patch and with patch' pics of FSX,ORBX,FXT_AU,FTXAA_YBBN,SCENERY,...and have included the files that the warning message seemed it had issues with... I notice in the Patch scenery, it has removed Orbx_APX_YBBN.bgl

I have stopped rebuilding the machine until we can resolve.

Regards

« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 01:59:17 am by por930 »
Geoff

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 06:29:57 pm »
Started FSX, chose YBBN, GSX does not rebuild its cache and does not work, same warning message displayed.

It is like GSX is expecting to find 'polygons' but finds a another type of file?

That's because it hasn't rebuilt its cache. Did FSX rebuild its own cache ? Try to force a GSX cache rebuilding, by removing the following file:

C:\ProgramData\Virtuali\Couatl

por930

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 03:50:26 am »
Umberto,

OK, partial success.
From the beginning....

1.   Load OrbX YBBN to ensure clean install
2.   Launch FSX, Choose YBBN, default ultrlight a/c
3.   GSX loads its cache and all is well
4.   Load the 1.20 Orbx patch
5.   Launch FSX, Choose YBBN, default ultrlight a/c
6.   GSX cache does not load, brings up error..no load of cache maybe because of preload at 3.?
7.   Remove couatl file
8.   Launch FSX, Choose YBBN, default ultrlight a/c
9.   GSX loads its cache and all is well
10. Subsequent reloads(shut down FSX and restart) all work, even with different a/c
11. Shut down FSX and open patch YBBN 1.2 Control Panel and chose another selection.
12. Launch FSX, Choose YBBN, default ultrlight a/c
13. GSX cache does not load, brings up error.
14. shut down FSX, remove ...couatl file
15. Launch FSX, Choose YBBN, default ultrlight a/c
16. GSX loads its cache and all is well.
17. Subsequent reloads of FSX with different a/c all ok
18. If you change locations after error, new airport ok, return to YBBN, error returns.
19. Choose YMML, also a Orbx airport, and GSX is ok, but YMML has no patch...

OK, so it seems that when patch 1.2 is applied to YBBN, GSX will not load its cache, unless I remove the file ...couatl, and GSX is forced to reload its cache when FSX YBBN screen appears, then GSX works ok, and all subsequent times FSX is shutdown and reloaded UNTIL FSX is shut down and the control panel selection is changed, when the error re-appears

Two things I notice.

1. When I am in FSX splash screen with the spinning a/c, then change the location, select YBBN, I notice that 'Search default scenery/add-on scenery button ' is set at default scenery. If I select the add-on scenery, nothing appears....

2. The warning I get about missing file etc, I see at the end of the message..(..........System: 2) ?

Regards

Geoff
Geoff

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 11:01:39 am »
OK, so it seems that when patch 1.2 is applied to YBBN, GSX will not load its cache, unless I remove the file ...couatl, and GSX is forced to reload its cache when FSX YBBN screen appears, then GSX works ok, and all subsequent times FSX is shutdown and reloaded UNTIL FSX is shut down and the control panel selection is changed, when the error re-appears

That's why I've said to force the GSX cache rebuild. It should be automatic but, GSX check when the FSX cache is being rebuilt, to know when its cache should be rebuilt to. For some reason, the Orbx patch doesn't trigger an FSX cache rebuilding.

1. When I am in FSX splash screen with the spinning a/c, then change the location, select YBBN, I notice that 'Search default scenery/add-on scenery button ' is set at default scenery. If I select the add-on scenery, nothing appears....

Nothing to do with GSX, but might be also related to some specific or that Orbx patch.

2. The warning I get about missing file etc, I see at the end of the message..(..........System: 2) ?

As I've said in my previous message, it's just a "file not found", because GSX expected to find a file ( because it was listed in its cache ) that doesn't exists anymore. That's why you have to force the cache rebuild. Do you need to patch the Orbx file constantly ?

por930

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 01:18:51 pm »
Hi Umberto,
Yes, the removal of the couatl file and therefore forced rebuild of the GSX cache does the trick, as long as I do not change the choice on the 1.2 OrbX patch, I should be ok.

The patch is a once off install( I hope^^^). I have subsequently today applied a further patch to YBBN, 1.21. Only a small file and it makes no difference to the problem.

If I do need to change the choice, I now know to remove the ..couatl... file before launching FSX, and every thing should be ok. I would not envisage many changes though...

Consider this closed Umberto, as there is a satisfactory work around.

Regards

Geoff   
Geoff