Author Topic: GSX not working  (Read 9381 times)

Richard McDonald Woods

• FlightDiary
GSX not working
« on: December 31, 2013, 12:53:45 pm »
Hi Umberto,

I am completely stuck. I cannot get the Activate Ground Services window to show.

I have reinstalled GSX with gsx_fsx_setup.exe and then Addon Manager with setup_addonmanagerX.exe, but still nothing.

I thought that maybe there is a conflicting use of the Ctrl-F12 key, but no, changing it to use Ctrl-G didn't work either.

There are no apparent error messages in my couatl.log and COUATL has not generated a couatl.err file.

What should I do to get going again?

A VERY happy new year to you, and many thanks for all of your thoughtful developments and support throughout 2013.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 01:08:34 pm by mcdonar »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX not working
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 03:54:55 pm »
I thought that maybe there is a conflicting use of the Ctrl-F12 key, but no, changing it to use Ctrl-G didn't work either.

I believe that key is reserved by FSX too, the GEAR_PUMP event. Be sure there isn't another add-on using the GSX keys ( you can also try CTRL+Shift+F12,. which is the GSX "direct" key )

Also, check that you haven't turned off all warning message, maybe there's a message GSX is trying to print, but you can't see it because you turned off all messages.

Richard McDonald Woods

• FlightDiary
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 06:46:02 pm »
Umberto,
I have changed the User Interface Message Verbosity to 'Display all messages', and Key Mappings for GSX to Shift+Ctrl+F12, Shift+F12 and Ctrl+F12; ParkMe to Num_9; and global to Num_8. I still have no green messages, and no Activate Ground Services window.

So I believe I have discounted collision with key settings for other software. But still stuck.

Any suggestions?

Cheers, R

Richard McDonald Woods

• FlightDiary
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 01:07:19 pm »
Hi Umberto,
I'm still stuck. I cannot get the Activate Ground Services window to open.
There is an error shown in the couatl.log attached, but I don't know whether it is related or how to fix it.
Can you help?
Cheers, Richard

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 01:38:30 pm »
There is an error shown in the couatl.log attached, but I don't know whether it is related or how to fix it.

I haven't seen that error before but, it's possible is related to the key conflict with another add-on. Can't you just disable all running add-ons, just as a test ?

Richard McDonald Woods

• FlightDiary
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 04:45:26 pm »
Hi Umberto,
I have removed FSX/Addon Scenery/Scenery and FSX/Addon Scenery independently (by renaming them), but get the same problem of my Ctrl+Shift+F12 not working. FSX will not allow me to remove FSX/Scenery. I am assuming that the error messages that I am receiving are nothing directly to do with the inability to get the Activate Ground Services window to display.

At the foot of Couatl.log is a block reading:

Starting system monitors
Error: exception ERROR in request 000000d1
Current locale is English_United Kingdom.1252
SharedMemInterface connected
Error: exception ERROR in request 00000133
etc.

I have assumed that the reference to '133' indicates the scenery file #133. So I have deleted KMSY Photo_Real V3.0 scenery and restarted FSX. But now the same error messages are produced, presumably referring to the now 133 which is KATL_ETI. This may indicate that 133 is not the scenery number being loaded?

I am not sure what is the difference to GSX between disabling a scenery and deleting it.

I have 147 layers being loaded. Is this too many?

As the author of GSX, you have far more knowledge if its workings than I. Can you suggest anything else that I might try to get GSX working?

Regards, Richard

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 07:16:40 pm »
I have assumed that the reference to '133' indicates the scenery file #133. So I have deleted KMSY Photo_Real V3.0 scenery and restarted FSX. But now the same error messages are produced, presumably referring to the now 133 which is KATL_ETI. This may indicate that 133 is not the scenery number being loaded?

They are entirely unrelated to the scenery.cfg so, please, don't do anything to your scenery library, that number is the simconnect request id, which doesn't have any relationship to the scenery library.

you can activate the Simconnect diagnostic mode to see what's wrong with your install:

Open notepad, and copy the following text:

Code: [Select]
[SimConnect]
level=errors
console=1
RedirectStdOutToConsole=1
OutputDebugString=1
; file=c:\simconnect%03u.log
; file_next_index=0
; file_max_index=9

Save the file as SIMCONNECT.INI in this folder:

Documents And Settings\YOUR LOGIN NAME\Documents\Microsoft Flight Simulator X Files

At the next FSX launch, you should see a text window with diagnostic message, that should tell what's going wrong. Let me know what you are getting, so we can have an idea what's happening. You will probably see some Simconnect exceptions errors.

Richard McDonald Woods

• FlightDiary
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 02:18:09 pm »
Umberto,
At your suggestion, I have created the simconnect.ini file and receive the following text from SimConnect Diagnostic Output:

0.00000 SimConnect version 10.0.61259.0
PMDG SimConnect Version Loader <D:\Program Files <x86>\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\PMDG_SimConnect_Ldr.dll

Looking for appropriate SimConnect DLL Version...

Checking for: FSX SP2 / AccelPack   <61259.0> -- Found! Loading...
PMDG Options -- Initializing SimConnect with Window creation
PMDG Events -- Initializing SimConnect with Window creation
PMDG Sounds -- Initializing SimConnect with Window creation
PMDGOptions -- Version: 10.061472.0 -- SimConnect Version: 10.0.61259.0

and the couatl.ini saved as couatl.txt is attached.

I do hope that you can help.
Regards, Richard

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 03:17:23 pm »
At your suggestion, I have created the simconnect.ini file and receive the following text from SimConnect Diagnostic Output:

And nothing else ? You should see some exception errors. Try to change the Simconnect.ini file as follows:

level=errors

INTO

level=warnings

Richard McDonald Woods

• FlightDiary
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 03:37:23 pm »
Documents and Settings\Richard\Documents\Microsoft Flight Simulator X Files is not editable with Win7. I therefore assumed you meant Richard\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files which already contains the simconnect.ini file, which I then edited as you suggested.

Very sorry to say, but the SimConnect Diagnostic Output window contains exactly the same text (with the simconnect.ini containing level=warnings).

The new version of couatl.log is attached.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 04:18:21 pm »
Very sorry to say, but the SimConnect Diagnostic Output window contains exactly the same text (with the simconnect.ini containing level=warnings).

Try to change into

level=normal

You should now see lots of info.

The new version of couatl.log is attached.

It's no use keep uploading the Couatl.log, the exception error is clearly a Simconnect error, the only way to know what's really happening, is checking the Simconnect log.

Richard McDonald Woods

• FlightDiary
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 05:57:33 pm »
The only log you can be referring to is the SimConnect Diagnostic Output? I have no file named simconnect.log.

Now that I have set level=normal in simconnect.ini, I have a fast scrolling output to the Diagnostic Output - so fast that it is impossible to read.

Am I doing what you require?

Perhaps a TeamViewer session would help? I am available during tomorrow daytime (zulu), if you wish.

Cheers, Richard

Richard McDonald Woods

• FlightDiary
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 04:38:39 pm »
Hi Umberto,
Any further thoughts on my problem? I am still unable to use GSX.
Cheers, Richard

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 05:27:04 pm »
PM me when you are ready to arrange a Teamviewer session

Richard McDonald Woods

• FlightDiary
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 03:34:27 pm »
Umberto,

Many thanks for your online support on Friday.

At least I now have a working GSX, even though we do not yet understand why.

Have you had any new ideas over the weekend?

Regards, Richard