Author Topic: ORBX - YBBN parking gates  (Read 6800 times)

por930

ORBX - YBBN parking gates
« on: December 28, 2013, 03:27:04 pm »
Hi,
I am just starting my GSX journey, so forgive me if I am asking questions with well known answers.

I have a few of the ORBX airports and using my own city(YBBN) I notice when using GSX, the qty of gates are not reported anywhere near correct..e.g. there are approx 87 bays spread between the domestic and international terminal, whereas GSX only reports several. Is there a way for getting GSX to find all these ORBX scenery bays by some configuration, or do I have to invoke some editing procedure? I did notice that GSX seemed to find most of the gates in the default KLAX..

Geoff
Geoff

XCLTM3

Re: ORBX - YBBN parking gates
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 08:56:22 pm »
Hi,
I am just starting my GSX journey, so forgive me if I am asking questions with well known answers.

I have a few of the ORBX airports and using my own city(YBBN) I notice when using GSX, the qty of gates are not reported anywhere near correct..e.g. there are approx 87 bays spread between the domestic and international terminal, whereas GSX only reports several. Is there a way for getting GSX to find all these ORBX scenery bays by some configuration, or do I have to invoke some editing procedure? I did notice that GSX seemed to find most of the gates in the default KLAX..

Geoff

Geoff,

I have ORBX YBBN and have manually edited some of the bays to allow for the aircraft I'm using. Just refer to the GSX manual section "Airport Customization". All you need to do is increase or decrease the settings to suit your specific aircraft.

Rgds,

Steve
Latebra Factum, Tertia Optio

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 08:59:02 pm »
I notice when using GSX, the qty of gates are not reported anywhere near correct..e.g. there are approx 87 bays spread between the domestic and international terminal, whereas GSX only reports several.

Check that GSX is reading the AFCAD file that comes with the scenery. You can verify this with the "Custom Parking position" option, the dialog will show the name of the AFCAD in use by GSX.

por930

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 02:49:14 am »
Hi,

Geoff

Geoff,

I have ORBX YBBN and have manually edited some of the bays to allow for the aircraft I'm using. Just refer to the GSX manual section "Airport Customization". All you need to do is increase or decrease the settings to suit your specific aircraft.

Rgds,

Steve

Hi Steve,
Thanks for this. I have been 'flying' today and notice that GSX does indeed have more gates at YBBN. I needed to select 'gates', rather than gate A or B etc. Several gates are missing so I will have a try at customization.
Regards
Geoff
Geoff

por930

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 03:03:50 am »
I notice when using GSX, the qty of gates are not reported anywhere near correct..e.g. there are approx 87 bays spread between the domestic and international terminal, whereas GSX only reports several.

Check that GSX is reading the AFCAD file that comes with the scenery. You can verify this with the "Custom Parking position" option, the dialog will show the name of the AFCAD in use by GSX.

Hi Umberto,
As you can see from my post to Steve, I have noticed by selecting 'gates' rather than gates A or B etc, I can see more gates, though some are still missing. Looking at the AFCAD file, it indicates AFCAD D:?FSX/Scenery/APX88410.bgl. I have obtained a parking gates position coordinates map, while showing many gates missing from FSX, though maybe too much work to fix, considering rarely used.

Is their an hierarchy of what bgl files have first use etc..eg, FSX>ORBX that GSX uses, as I notice in FSX there is a scenery editor which offers preferences.

Regards

Geoff
Geoff

por930

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 06:02:39 am »
OK, I spent several hours updating ORBX with their patches and see improvements in the parking gates using GSX at YBBN. Still several GSX gates missing, but at least now the scenery is locating the actual apron markings where the gate is located, so I just need to park at the 'gate' then get into the airport customization and update any bays I think I will be using.
I did notice that a jetway did not align itself against the side of the PMDG 737NG, but had a gap(my wife thought funny as reminded her of London underground, and we should have a warning message for pax.....) I see lots of information about this in the manual, so will see what adjustments I can achieve.

Rgds
Geoff

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 09:59:07 am »
Looking at the AFCAD file, it indicates AFCAD D:?FSX/Scenery/APX88410.bgl. I have obtained a parking gates position coordinates map, while showing many gates missing from FSX, though maybe too much work to fix, considering rarely used.

That's the default scenery AFCAD, so GSX will only display gates from the default YBBN airport.

Is there an hierarchy of what bgl files have first use etc..eg, FSX>ORBX that GSX uses, as I notice in FSX there is a scenery editor which offers preferences.

GSX obviously use the same rules as FSX itself: the higher a scenery is on the Scenery Library, the most priority its AFCAD will have compared to one lower on the list. Which means, if your Orbx airport in on an layer higher than default (which is how normally add-ons airports are installed), GSX should use its AFCAD.

However, there are some cases were GSX won't use an AFCAD:

- The AFCAD file is corrupt

- The AFCAD is not self-contained, meaning it doesn't include the minimum needed to define the airport ( parking spots and taxiways ), but relies on the default AFCAD and only improves upon it. In this case, GSX will use the default AFCAD

- There's another file access problem to you scenery folder, or a problem with your scenery.cfg or your paths. You can check this by enabling Logging in the "GSX - Troubleshooting" section, and then post a Couatl.LOG file on startup, that will display information about the sceneries in use.

por930

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 01:32:49 pm »
Thankyou Umberto, your replies are so helpful and clear. I will check out the log when next in GSX. Though I think now that I have updated every thing in ORBX, GSX is working as intended. It was fascinating today watching the interaction between the aircraft and the various handlers during their roles.

Regards
Geoff