Author Topic: Standalone Manager - No internet?  (Read 3460 times)

mark767

Standalone Manager - No internet?
« on: December 29, 2013, 03:49:56 pm »

My FSX install became corrupted and I had to restore from a backup.  As the backup was older I had to reinstall some recently purchased FSDT scenery.  As part of the process I reinstalled the standalone manager and got this strange message "No internet connection available....restoring from local files".  But the thing is that I do have internet connection and I had just used it to download the sceneries.  Any ideas ?

StevenK

Re: Standalone Manager - No internet?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 04:20:03 pm »
this could be you AV program stopping the Addon Manager accessing the net
Dont worry though... If you just downloaded the Addon Manager then all the files it has installed are the latest version
The same thing goes for the Scenery downloads

Hope that helps a little
Not sure on why its been blocked
Most common one is the Anti-virus program is blocking it... Maybe even firewall
Steven Kiberton
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit | AMD Bulldozer FX 6100 3.3Ghz | Coolermaster Hyper TX3 | ASUS Motherboard M5A 78L-M | 16GB DDR3 RAM | EVGA Geforce GTX 550 Ti 1gb PCI Express DDR3 DVI HDMI | 750w Corsair AX750 | 1TB HDD + 120GB SSD | x2 - 20" WideScreen Monitors

mark767

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 04:53:32 pm »

OK will take a look at my AV settings.  I thought I had excluded all of my FSX folders.  thanks.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 08:35:48 pm »
OK will take a look at my AV settings.  I thought I had excluded all of my FSX folders.  thanks.

That's not enough, the antivirus might not block something IN FSX but, it's maybe trying to block the download *from* the FSDT site, and it might also block files as soon as they are downloaded but *before* being copied in the the FSX folder, when they are still in the Windows TEMP folder which was created by the installer.

That's why, if the antivirus it's a problem, it's not enough to exclude files from scanning, even the entire FSX folder, that will only help when you are *running* FSX, but the only safe way to deal with the antivirus when *installing* something, is to turn it off.

This is one possible cause. Another possible cause is that one of the two mirrors we use might be down or just too overloaded with requests (that's why there are two of them running in parallel) and, since they are chosen at random when the installer starts, you might just need to try it again a couple of times, until you'll eventually hit the "good" server.

Again, this is not a problem if you *just* downloaded the Stand-Alone Addon Manager, because the files included in the installer are the same of those that were supposed to be downloaded. In this case, just press the "Next" button, when prompted to "Press the Next button to use Local files".

ahuimanu

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 07:22:42 am »
Can confirm that turning off Malware Bytes and Microsoft Security Essentials allowed me to run the setup_addonmanager successfully after I was also having this problem.  Strangely, I didn't have this issue previously until I too reinstalled FSX recently.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 09:40:42 am »
Can confirm that turning off Malware Bytes and Microsoft Security Essentials allowed me to run the setup_addonmanager successfully after I was also having this problem

Not sure if it's a good idea to run two antivirus at the same time. However, what caused the problem was likely Malware Bytes, because I use MS Security Essentials all the time, and I always keep it enabled, without any configuration (other than excluding the whole FSX folder, for performance reasons, so it will not scan every FSX executable on every FSX startup).

Strangely, I didn't have this issue previously until I too reinstalled FSX recently.

The problem might have been introduced with an antivirus update.