Author Topic: Problem with Radeon Pro  (Read 2766 times)

member111222

Problem with Radeon Pro
« on: December 17, 2013, 09:48:09 pm »
Please Umberto,

please consider developing something like a

"safe mode"

for couatl that involves a small program that counts how many times couatl tried to restart itself, maybe in the last minute, and if the problem still exists  after a complete reinstall of the standalone installer automatically injects a

"working safe mode" for this "actual session". I completely understand that the software must be protected against piracy but this seems to be oversecured. I was just playing around with Catalyst Cointrol  Center and Radeon Pro Tool and the couatl went crazy throwing out panic logs (whatever that means). I was so angry yesterday I almost smashed my computer (might have been a slight overreaction ;D).  FS computer, administrative rights, firewall deactivated, antivirus off. Even outside FSX in the menu the problem persisted. It is too aggressive in my humble opinion.   
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 10:04:07 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
I was just playing around with Catalyst Cointrol  Center and Radeon Pro Tool and the couatl went crazy throwing out panic logs (whatever that means).

I don't understand what do you mean with "safe mode". The unsafe program here is just one, and it's the "Radeon Pro" tool. This tool creates this kind of problem, and it's a known fact, it has been discussed many times on the forum, and there IS a known solution:

- do not use API monitoring settings inside RadeonPro (used to offer RadeonPro hotkey functions inside other software), or use the setting "disable API monitoring for programs not listed in my profiles list".

This problem is even acknowledged by the Radeon Pro Tool developers on their site:

http://www.radeonpro.info/manual/contents/troubleshooting

Q- Some programs are crashing or misbehaving when RadeonPro is active and Global API Monitoring is in effect.

A- Add the executable name to RadeonPro Compatibility list and set option Disable API detection for the item, that should fix the issue you’re finding with a particular program/application.

So, it's clear that it affect other programs too, I doubt they even know what our Couatl program is, they surely must know that making a Global hook is potentially dangerous, otherwise they wouldn't have added what is effectively IS a "Safe mode" for their product, which is the ability to disable the offending feature.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 10:13:07 pm by virtuali »