Author Topic: Can't start prepar3d v2 after addon manager did a live update!  (Read 5152 times)

earnorbust

Can't start prepar3d v2 after addon manager did a live update!
« on: November 29, 2013, 01:52:30 pm »
I installed the addon Manager to see if anything was new. And yes it began to download files during it's live update session. After finishing I immediately started my p3d v2 sim. I CAN'T...it doesn't start anymore!

Could it be, that scenery files were updated and are now causing a CTD when P3D v2 tries to load them? I am beginning to mistrust your addon Manager System now.
That was a lot of work just gone down the drain, if you expect me to reinstall everything!!

What now?   ???

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Can't start prepar3d v2 after addon manager did a live update!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 01:55:12 pm »
The problem doesn't have anything to do with the Addon Manager, but we are having a problem with one of the two Live Update servers, we obviously reported to our ISP and it should be fixed soon, as you can see, the forum is already back online now.

Just run the Stand-Alone Addon Manager installer with the network disconnected, the installer of course contains every needed file so, it doesn't rely on the update servers to be working. You'll see a message about this, and will be prompted to use Local files instead.

This will surely work, or you can just try again, because there are TWO servers running in parallel, and only one is down and, since the one to use is selected randomly by the installer at start, it's possible that you will get the good one on another try. Again, that's just one option, the other option is running the installer with no internet connection and use the local files included in the installer.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 01:57:25 pm by virtuali »

earnorbust

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 03:13:11 pm »
What?? ...Quote: "The problem doesn't have anything to do with the Addon Manager"

Then why the heck is my dead sim back to life after updating again with your Addon Manager?!

...please explain

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 03:17:41 pm »
Then why the heck is my dead sim back to life after updating again with your Addon Manager?!

That's exactly what I've said, and it's obviously true.

The problem is NOT the "Addon Manager", is the fact its installer updates files from the online server, which was momentarily down so, if a file gets corrupted because of an aborted download, it's quite obvious it won't work, and that's of course is valid for ANY executable program, not just the Addon Manager.

Which is why, the Addon Manager installer can be run in offline mode, for the precise reason to fix any issue of corrupted downloads if the server goes down *exactly* in the middle of a download.

If you want the convenience of always getting the latest version of the files, which requires the installer to download something, it's possible you might get a corrupted file, because online servers can go down. THAT'S why there's a backup in place, which is the offline mode.