Author Topic: Bglmanx.dll Error  (Read 2907 times)

johndrago

Bglmanx.dll Error
« on: November 02, 2013, 02:32:53 am »
Hi Umberto,

First of all, I have no idea if the following issue is related to your products.  I'm just asking for help since I saw many posts related to bglmanx.dll

Today, I updated GSX per the latest notification, and downloaded and installed the addon manager.  When I relaunched FSX, I answered yes to both trust notifications.   All seemed well.  I then restarted my machine to prep for a long flight... KLAX TO YSSY using the PMDG 777.

Everything went well, but about 6 hours into the flight I got dumped to the desktop with the bglmanx.dll error. I tried relaunching FSX, but couatl kept failing to start.  I rebooted my machine, and FSX then loaded normally. I just reinstalled the addon manager again, and disabled my virus scanner to make sure everything was ok.  I already exclude my entire FSX folder from scanning.

Do you have a thought as to why I received the bglmanx.dll crash?  I've never had it happen before.

Thanks for your help.

John

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Bglmanx.dll Error
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 09:12:58 am »
Do you have a thought as to why I received the bglmanx.dll crash?  I've never had it happen before.

In the last couple of days we found a problem with the *previous* version which now has been fixed, but in the case you would have a crash immediately when starting FSX so, your problem seems entirely different.

A crash 6 hours into the flight can't possibly caused by the Addon Manager, the most likely cause is that you were almost exhausting memory because of a memory leak caused by some other memory-hungry product ( the PMDG forum on Avsim is full of users reporting OOMs with the 777 ) so, it's possible that if the Addon Manager needed a bit of memory from Windows to do something ( but if you were *away* from a an FSDT airport, it doesn't do that ) the memory allocation failed because there was no memory left.

That's the only possible explanation I could give considering it would be basically impossible to replicate that situation.

I'd say that, if you want to do a long flight, you should have PLENTY of spare memory before starting it, and being close to the limit is probably not safe because, along a very long flight, things might be loaded, not always be unloaded (FSX is known to keep handles on files open even for sceneries thousands miles away) so it's best to start with enough headroom, using all possible anti-OOM prevention method that were discussed many times here and on other forums.

johndrago

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 04:29:56 pm »

In the last couple of days we found a problem with the *previous* version which now has been fixed, but in the case you would have a crash immediately when starting FSX so, your problem seems entirely different.

A crash 6 hours into the flight can't possibly caused by the Addon Manager, the most likely cause is that you were almost exhausting memory because of a memory leak caused by some other memory-hungry product ( the PMDG forum on Avsim is full of users reporting OOMs with the 777 ) so, it's possible that if the Addon Manager needed a bit of memory from Windows to do something ( but if you were *away* from a an FSDT airport, it doesn't do that ) the memory allocation failed because there was no memory left.

That's the only possible explanation I could give considering it would be basically impossible to replicate that situation.

I'd say that, if you want to do a long flight, you should have PLENTY of spare memory before starting it, and being close to the limit is probably not safe because, along a very long flight, things might be loaded, not always be unloaded (FSX is known to keep handles on files open even for sceneries thousands miles away) so it's best to start with enough headroom, using all possible anti-OOM prevention method that were discussed many times here and on other forums.

Is a crash with bglmanx an OOM?  I didn't receive an out of memory error.

Thanks, I appreciate your help.

John

Hnla

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 04:33:37 pm »
Is a crash with bglmanx an OOM?  I didn't receive an out of memory error.

No, read what he said again: