Author Topic: Animations  (Read 3685 times)

miata54

Animations
« on: September 15, 2013, 04:07:09 am »
Just bought GSX today and having a blast with it. A couple of observations, questions and suggestions.

1. I notice that the baggage trains, after unloading the AC, are travelling to a distant place. In my airport AFCAD, I have a parking place and connected taxiway that leads to a hangar about 1/4 mile (scale) from the terminal. The baggage trains, as well as the catering trucks, are following this taxi path right up to the parking place and then disappearing. It actually looks like they drive right into the hangar! They also start out from this parking place on the return trip, with baggage, and food. This is a small airport that I have modified the AFCAD and there are only three taxiways and parking places.

Question: If I delete this taxiway and create a new one some other place on the airport, will the baggage trains follow this one as well?

2. I really like the baggage train models and textures and would like to use them as static models to populate the tarmac in the terminal area. Is there any consideration to offering static models of the baggage trains?

3. It would be nice to see the driver(s) of the catering and fuel trucks get out of their vehicles and walk a bit to complete their assigned tasks, as do the marshaller and wing walker. Also, how about an animated fuel truck driver connecting a fuel hose to an aircraft or at least simulating it with some movement.

You've got a fun product here Umberto and I look forward to further development.

Regards,

Chris

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Animations
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 07:58:17 am »
Question: If I delete this taxiway and create a new one some other place on the airport, will the baggage trains follow this one as well?

The vehicles that spawn from far away in GSX (Catering, Fuel and Follow Me) follows this strategy:

1) They start from a parking, not too close to your current position, but not too far away. The parking is chosen randomly, giving an higher priority to parkings of the "Vehicle" type. If not appropriate Vehicle parking is found, a regular parking is chosen at random within that distance limits. If no parking can be found inside the min/max distance, any parking in the airport could be used.

2) Once the starting point is decided, the shortest path to your airplane is then calculated, but higher priority is given to taxiways flagged as Vehicle Taxiways which means they will be chosen even if it wouldn't be the shortest path. If no suitable Vehicle taxiways can be found, regular taxiways will be used and, as the last resort, the vehicles will also use runways.

This means, if you want to control paths of the service vehicles, the best option is to ensure you have Vehicle parkings in the right places, and always include a network of Vehicle taxiways that allows to reach every area of the apron. Basically, just do it realistic, and GSX will comply...

Having proper Vehicle parkings and Vehicle taxiways, will also minimize the chance for conflict between GSX vehicles and AIs, because AIs will follow regular taxiways by preference, and GSX vehicles will follow Vehicle taxiways by preference.

2. I really like the baggage train models and textures and would like to use them as static models to populate the tarmac in the terminal area. Is there any consideration to offering static models of the baggage trains?

They are not really meant to be static objects used to populate a scenery, because they are fairly complex polygonally. That's also why GSX doesn't service AIs, it will kill fps and will likely not fit in memory.

3. It would be nice to see the driver(s) of the catering and fuel trucks get out of their vehicles and walk a bit to complete their assigned tasks, as do the marshaller and wing walker.

What's the assigned task of a catering driver ?

Also, how about an animated fuel truck driver connecting a fuel hose to an aircraft or at least simulating it with some movement.

Not the easiest thing to do, but it's surely on the list of things we are planning.

You've got a fun product here Umberto and I look forward to further development.

Regards,

Chris

[/quote]

miata54

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 08:54:48 pm »
"What's the assigned task of a catering driver ?" you ask.

I was making my reference from AES where the driver gets out of the truck, then enters the body of the truck via a door, raises the body to the AC door level and then pushes the cart into the AC, which GSX does all, except the driver exiting the truck cab. On the other hand, if you have a driver and an assistant who is stationed in the body of the truck, then that would explain why the driver does not exit the truck!  ;)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 05:31:40 pm »
I was making my reference from AES where the driver gets out of the truck, then enters the body of the truck via a door, raises the body to the AC door level and then pushes the cart into the AC, which GSX does all, except the driver exiting the truck cab. On the other hand, if you have a driver and an assistant who is stationed in the body of the truck, then that would explain why the driver does not exit the truck!

So GSX is better in keeping jobs: each catering vehicles employs two people, and it doesn't want to upset unions, by having the driver to do all the hard work...on the other hand, we have a driver on the baggage loader that drives the vehicle and loads baggages so, perhaps, we can assume that catering companies have more money to spend than ground handlers.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 05:36:45 pm by virtuali »