Author Topic: KLAX for FSX  (Read 5872 times)

NISX

KLAX for FSX
« on: September 09, 2008, 08:45:44 am »
Did a search, could not find the answer, so if it has been asked already I apologize. Will there be a fsx version of the already released fs9 lax?

thepilot

Re: KLAX for FSX
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 04:19:44 pm »
I doubt there will ever be updates for KLAX, be it just AES or an FSx version.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 04:40:42 pm »
The sceneries we did for Cloud9, are probably victims of the dreaded market split between FS9 and FSX. Since at this time we are forced to release a new product for FS9 as well, making something like EHAM or KLAX or KDCA as FSX-only products will cut potential sales in half.

Making it for FS9 as well, wouldn't result in something that existing Cloud9 users would find so much attractive to buy it again, without even start mentioning the fact that we are not supposed to compete to Cloud9 with the same airport on the same sim, we don't hold the copyrights for those sceneries (this means we have to remade them from scratch), and we don't even have access to Cloud9 customers database, that might allowed us to offer a discount for an updated version. When we said we always were entirely separate entities, it was *true*...

As soon as FSX will prevail enough to justify an FSX-only version, surely EHAM and KLAX are on top of the list of sceneries that need to be made.

thepilot

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 08:41:30 pm »
Why would you charge customers for an FSX update?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 09:03:41 pm »

I'm not sure I understand the question...

As we said, many times already, yet people still find it difficult to believe, we always were an entirely separate entity from Cloud9, regardless the fact Alessandro (our scenery designer) used to work for Cloud9, and the fact that Cloud9 still pays a license to use our sales system.

This means, we have several legal constraints with Cloud9, which are:

- We can't create a directly competing product on the same sim. So, no EHAM, KLAX or KDCA for FS9 coming from us.

- We could create an FSX version, but that one will have to be made from scratch, not reusing any of the old code, so it can't be considered an "update". This because we don't hold any copyrights on the source code used for these sceneries. Italian law (but I think it's the same in most countries) is very clear about this: the copyright of any work made when your are employed by someone, belongs to your employer, with no exceptions.

- The only way to make an FS9 version, would be in agreement with Cloud9. Which would probably result in having to offer a reduced price upgrade to Cloud9 customers, because one shouldn't expect a big improvement. Especially in the case of KDCA, I really doubt we'll ever be able to do it much better than already it is.

- Having to work in agreement with Cloud9, means we need to share proceedings with them, of a product that will be mostly offered at a reduce price. Sorry, but this is not very attractive to us. Also, we wouldn't be able to offer a free upgrade to FSX, unless we do the FSX version with Cloud9 as well, which is even less attractive.

I think it's quite obvious why it makes more business sense for us to simply do new stuff. The only way to do something like EHAM or KLAX on our own, is to be in a situation were an FSX only scenery will be able to economically substain itself, without an FS9 release.

Razgriz

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 11:35:54 pm »

Someone didn't read the post.  I think you scanned it and didn't actually read it.