Author Topic: Anti-Popup not working  (Read 4451 times)

bonchie

Anti-Popup not working
« on: July 29, 2013, 07:42:37 am »
I have the KLAS and KDFW trials going. Looking at getting both.

My issue is that no matter what I set the Antipopup setting to, I still have to be ridiculously close to terminals for that terminals clutter to show. As in within 50 feet. At KDFW it's even worse because many of the blast shields as well as the clutter don't show unless I'm really close.

The entry is in my .cfg.

I thought by setting it at 30 3D objects should be appearing 30x their normal draw distance?

This is stopping me from pulling the trigger (well, that and the fact that in USD I'm getting charged $4 above what the actual exchange rate calls for doesn't thrill me either).
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 07:59:33 am by bonchie »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Anti-Popup not working
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 11:56:49 am »

bonchie

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 03:32:43 pm »
So ground clutter/jetway detail, etc. can't actually have their visual range upped, just when they are loaded into the memory to reduce stuttering?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 05:45:10 pm »
So ground clutter/jetway detail, etc. can't actually have their visual range upped, just when they are loaded into the memory to reduce stuttering?

That's not wait I've said.

I've said there are different methods those objects are created with, and the Anti-popup only controls those that are created with method #1 and don't use any of the other two post-loading optimizations, such as LOD and other optimizations.

It changes between sceneries and it's different for each scenery objects too.

bonchie

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 06:55:59 am »
I really feel like this is going in circles.

Simple question. Can the visual range of the terminal ground clutter (and jet blast barriers at KDFW) be upped or not? I'm not trying to pass judgement on design decisions.

I understand it's different between sceneries but can it be done or not specifically at KLAS and KDFW?

At this point I'm leaning toward buying them anyway but just want my question answered in simplest of terms about the specific objects I'm citing at these specific sceneries.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 07:13:17 am by bonchie »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 01:02:18 pm »
I really feel like this is going in circles.

That's because you reported this as a possible overall problem of the Anti-popup not working, instead of asking about a specific case.

Simple question. Can the visual range of the terminal ground clutter (and jet blast barriers at KDFW) be upped or not? I'm not trying to pass judgement on design decisions.

Now that you are being specific, I can reply with a specific answer: I'll have to check this but, as far as I remember, those objects are turned on/off using LOD so, for that object, the Anti pop-up will not have any effect, because those details are a LOD part of a larger object, which already has its range maximized (so the Anti pop-up wouldn't affect it), but the smaller details are a LOD of it, so they will appear as coded.

In any case, after my first reply that not all objects would be controlled by the Anti pop-up setting, you might simply assume that, if an object you are interested in, doesn't seem to be controlled by the Anti pop-up setting, then you would know that object either uses LOD or has another optimization in place, so it's of the "non Anti pop-up-controllable" type.

As I've said, LOD is faster, if we were to convert all the smaller objects to be separate Addon Manager objects that can be controlled by the Anti pop-up setting, they would result in big stuttering when loading/unloading at the default Anti pop-up setting.

And, as I've said, we are planning to allow LOD to be user-controllable so, users would free to kill their fps, if they want, but it's not there yet. It won't require updating the scenery, probably just an updated Addon Manager. No release date for this is planned, but it should make it before KIAH is released.