Author Topic: Just Think About It  (Read 10111 times)

wb2002

Just Think About It
« on: July 15, 2013, 02:10:20 am »
After immersing oneself of programming the FMC's and etc., flying to an airport and departing the plane, you can walk through the inner airport itself (just like in real life). I don't know if it would still be FSX but I believe this is possible for airport scenery developers. Given the level of detail that FSDT has provided in their latest creations, led me to this thought. Who knows, you might even have to get pass a security checkpoint before entering the cockpit.

Cheers. . . . . Anticipating KIAH has made me this happy.
wb2002

ASUS P6X58 Premium/Intel i7-930 OC TO 4.2
Mushkin Redline (3x2GB) 6-8-6-24/Win 7 Ultimate 64
EVGA GTX 580/Thermaltake W0106 700W PSU

Hnla

Re: Just Think About It
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 02:49:43 am »
Dude this is a flight simulator.. not an airport simulator..  :)

And our precious 4GB of Memory in FSX is dwindled enough, we certainly don't need another 500MB being used up to create a detailed rendition of the interior of an airport.

If you have Flightbeam's KIAD, they did a good job of creating the feel that there is an inside to the buildings when you park your aircraft at the gate, and the windows are actual windows. (Even though its' the same thing over and over).

FSDT CYVR has this also in the Main area, which looks very good, especially at night.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 02:58:59 am by Boone »

wb2002

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 05:57:27 am »
Dude this is a flight simulator.. not an airport simulator..  :)

It appears that now days whenever someone come up with an idea that's different, there are always putdown remarks. This was just a thought however, how can this be an effective flight simulator without airports and why go through all the details that FSDT put in to producing them? I also imagine that programming can be done utilizing features of FSX that the effective use of memory space can be swapped/dumped depending on what feature is currently being used.

Without imagination where would FSX be today? Even I, had no idea that FSX would be what it is today when I purchased it in October of 2006 - and now it is 2013, close to 7 years later. 
wb2002

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 02:46:49 pm »
It appears that now days whenever someone come up with an idea that's different, there are always putdown remarks.

Hate to say it, but you're asking a lot from a 32 bit program.  Maybe when Prepar3d becomes 64 bit and can use more memory, something like that might be feasible.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

windshear

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 09:48:42 pm »
ORBX has a freeware walking maching that lets you walk around the airport... It's called Bob...
Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 10:51:26 pm »
He's talking about buildings with modeled interiors, not something like BOB.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 10:58:06 pm »
ORBX has a freeware walking maching that lets you walk around the airport... It's called Bob...

Making a walking camera it's very easy to do. Doing what makes walking around the airport worthwhile, such as detailed airport internals that is hard, and it won't probably fit in a 32 bit program.

windshear

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 11:43:23 pm »
Hey I agree it's what the guy has in mind, but it's useful to meet him half the way no?
Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

wb2002

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 12:46:31 am »
I realize that it may be difficult, if not impossible, however, I can imagine it being done. I do know there are other pc games that are base on the ability to go through doors, up/down steps, hallways and etc. and try to keep from being shot and shooting various weapons. I do not play them but have seen my grandkids do so, with remarkable graphic images. I also imagine, at one time or another, the ability of what we see now with FSX and able to do, was considered almost impossible. Look at what can be done with the passenger cabin in Captain Sim B777.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 12:48:36 am by wb2002 »
wb2002

Hnla

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 01:31:29 am »
I realize that it may be difficult, if not impossible, however, I can imagine it being done

Maybe a very small airport, but a big international hub, we have FAR more things to focus on in FSX than the interior of an airport.

I do know there are other pc games that are base on the ability to go through doors, up/down steps, hallways and etc. and try to keep from being shot and shooting various weapons

These games were made in 2012, and are 64-bit. And FAR less complex.

wb2002

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 02:09:42 am »
Maybe a very small airport, but a big international hub, we have FAR more things to focus on in FSX than the interior of an airport.

FAR more things like WHAT?

These games were made in 2012, and are 64-bit. And FAR less complex.

NOT all true. These games were available long before 2012 and many were using only 32bit.

NOT everyone have the same opinion (which is a good thing) however, don't confuse your opinions with facts.

wb2002

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 02:32:51 am »
FAR more things like WHAT?

The exterior...for example ?

Since we have to fit *everything* in less than 4GB, and many people are already dangerously close to the limit, up to the point they NEED those extra 400-500MB saved by using DX10, exactly as I've said, before we could start doing detailed interiors, a move towards 64 bit will be needed.

NOT all true. These games were available long before 2012 and many were using only 32bit.

The usual mistake...to compare a fully EXTENDABLE Flight Sim with a WORLDWIDE coverage that cover REAL world, with an FPS shooter...

Let's see how many things an FPS can do, and a Flight sim can't, to save memory and get better performances:

- An FPS has a controlled set of levels ( = scenery ), and the designers can even tweak the story to be sure the player won't get into trouble. A Flight sim doesn't have this luxury, the user should be allowed to fly anywhere.

- An FPS (or any other game) is not usually stuffed with DOZEN of 3rd party add-ons running at the same time, and no game offer the same level of extensibility, such any number of 3rd party .DLL and .EXE modules calling an API, Gauges with executable code, virtual cockpits with hundreds of animations, etc.

- A Flight sim is supposed to display things as they are in reality, a game can create a scenery which is both nice to look at AND optimized, without having to worry being real. Obvious example: the New York area contains a city with hundreds/thousands of buildings, 3 large airports and several smaller ones, all in a very short distance. We just can't remove an airport because of fps problems or because all 3 don't fit in memory, a designer for a game could just move the airport some miles away and simply adapt the "story" or the game to that requirement. We can't do that...

- A normal game might not allow a certain level to be played in every day/dusk/night condition or in any weather condition (with weather info coming from *outside*, because is supposed to be the real one), but instead can include all pre-baked textures for the single light condition the designer has specified for *that* level. The games that simulates changing light and weather conditions are NOT those with the most striking visuals.

- An FPS doesn't have any complex simulation to run. It doesn't need hundreds of AI with real world schedules, even when there are AI doing stuff, a game designer can just skip real world schedules and just add only the number of NPC (non-player-characters) he KNOWS the system can handle.

- An FPS doesn't have 100 nautical miles of visibility. Many of them are not even running in the open, but inside buildings. Obvious trick to further save fps, because you just don't draw what's behind the next door.

This list can go on and on, but the concept is quite clear: you can't compare a realistic Flight sim to an FPS, they are really too different.

In any case, I do remember BEFORE Crysis 2 came out, people were shouting on forums things like "when Crysis 2 will be out, it will run like a dream on a PC that can barely handle FSX, you'll see". It came out, and the sentence "Will this PC be able to run Crysis 2 at full detail?" became even more widespread than the same about FSX...

NOT everyone have the same opinion (which is a good thing) however, don't confuse your opinions with facts.

Exactly my point...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 02:36:59 am by virtuali »

wb2002

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 06:06:16 am »
OK - I give up. . . . . . :(
wb2002

Hnla

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 07:36:07 am »
OK - I give up. . . . . . :(

Don't give up, you never know what technology will bring us in the next decade..

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 03:00:49 pm »
Half of us may be dead by then.   ;D