Author Topic: HUD Energy Caret  (Read 5811 times)

GOONIE

HUD Energy Caret
« on: September 23, 2013, 04:02:42 pm »
I was playing golf with my friend who is headed to the RAG to fly with VFA-37. 37 flies the old legacy hornets. I was asking him about FCLP and CQ, and how it would be different from flying the Super Hornets (which he formly flew). Said the main thing issue is the legacy hornet's HUD doesn't have an energy caret, just the AoA bracket. I never knew this, but I guess the HUD for the legacy hornets we fly in FSX needs to be updated to remove the energy caret right?

-GOONIE
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
Re: HUD Energy Caret
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 09:44:05 pm »
Goonie...

Your point is taken and the easiest way to get rid of the energy caret is to simply make a modded caret_(hex color).bmp that has the same dimensions as the regular caret_(hex color).bmp, so that while the calculations are still being made and applied, the display will just alpha it out, and you'll see no caret on the HUD.

I have thought of this Super/Legacy discrepancy before and the reason I never removed it was that, being FSX, there is no "seat of the pants" feel, so the energy caret is just a positive indicator that your thrust change is gonna move your v/vector where you want it. As its hard enough to do a realistic carrier landing for most anyway, I just left it alone.

Later
Sludge

GOONIE

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 03:42:03 pm »
Sludge,
Long time brother. You flying FSX much these days? Or on to something new?

Good point on how to easliy fix the HUD to match reality, and also the justification for keeping it. Understand the loss of accel and decel sensation warrants an energy caret.

My main question to my friend was about the higher ground speeds experienced during FCLP versus actual carrier landings due to the boat moving and wind over the deck. I wanted to know how this affects training objectives when the energy caret came up.

-GOONIE
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 10:07:44 pm »
Goonie...

Yeah, been a while. Ever since I NUKED, I've SLOWLY been rebuilding my system for FSX. So far, between trips to Comic-Con in the summer, trips home to Nebraska, and all the other things, I've just had no drive to push up the time frame of getting my system up and running with FSX.

It also sucks because I lost the TRANSIT DRIVE where I kept most of my updated fixes to FSX, so I'm basically rebuilding with older versions (including Sludge Hornet) of everything. The good news is that once I finally get done, my system will be really tweaked and running well.

Other than that, also working on website design. I'm not that good, so its pretty much learning from scratch, doing YouTube tutorials (its Joomla based) and reading alot of hardcopy books. Should be up and running in time for 2014 CES (Consumer Electronics Show; Lost Wages, NV) in early January.

Take Care
Sludge