Author Topic: Fighting to curb OOM errors  (Read 4685 times)

windshear

Fighting to curb OOM errors
« on: July 05, 2013, 06:24:16 pm »
I am struggling to find out how to avoid having OOM. I think it might be Accu-Feel breaking my camel's back sorta speak, but could this realistically be the module that sucks the last drops of my VRAM?
Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hnla

Re: Fighting to curb OOM errors
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 08:29:47 pm »
Virtuali has explained this SO MANY times. I really don't know HOW you could be asking this again... I mean, really????

Highiron

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 05:01:08 am »
Simple rule is #1 if it runs outside of FSX/P3D it will have a lesser impact on VRAM. #2 if it runs within FSX/P3D then all add-ons are culprits. It's not that any one thing breaks the camels back as you say, but how many of them we use together. Toss out any one or two of them, and the OOM errors go away, but us flight simmers don't like to do that do we?  :D

The curse of 32bit...  >:(
Cheers,
Cpt. Thad Wheeler

windshear

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 12:36:13 am »
So Boone if this as been answered, what did Virtuali say about the memory demand of Accu-feel?

You are tired of this, I am tired of people like you who assume too much and can't keep quiet about it.

Highiron I know that FSDT runs outside the system, so that's why I am looking at other parts to try and prevent high memory load. I have never seen it before and now see it at airports like LAX which have never caused me any issues in the past
Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 10:52:36 am »
So Boone if this as been answered, what did Virtuali say about the memory demand of Accu-feel?

Wouldn't be more logical asking to developers of that product ? I never saw/used it.

As a general rule, if something runs externally as an .EXE, it's less prone to cause OOM compared to something that use a .DLL module. However, that's not entirely true, because it depends what that add-on is doing. For example, if you run a weather program, even if that runs externally to FSX (so its own program logic won't affect FSX memory), if it demands the creation of many complex cloud layers, those *will* take away from FSX memory, of course, especially if you have HD cloud textures.

Highiron

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 11:01:26 am »
I suppose if the case is that they used to work fine before Accu-feel, then it stands to reason it is demanding more. As I said earlier, you may have to decrease the load of something else to compensate. I've had to set water and cloud textures using REX to very low resolution and set my LOD to 4.5 for example to be able to use add-on airports in dense areas. My worst case scenario was using any complex aircraft within an Orbx region, with REX weather, and an add-on airport, I simply pushed to my 3.4 Gb limit and the simulator failed. It's likely you are now encountering a very similar situation with the addition of Accu-feel. There are no other solutions to the problem. Keep in mind, although FSDT airports run outside the sim in their function, the textures do not and that puts load on the VRAM immediately. It's why they put texture resolution options for CYVR. With Orbx and a somewhat complex aircraft, there was no way I could keep the sim from running out of memory without lowering the texture resolution. I suspect you already know all this, but I'm tossing it out there.

Hopefully Umberto can give you a clearer explanation as he knows how this crap works in more detail.
Cheers,
Cpt. Thad Wheeler

windshear

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 08:58:20 pm »
It's all great and useful responses thank you. I am asking here because I know this forum and I really trust people's advice so for me it seemed natural.

I uninstalled Accu-feel and I think it solved most of the problems, but Highiron I might take your advice and focus on textures. I recently installed megascenery earth and that's a lot of textures.
I did not know that even programs that run externally still will suck away memory because of the textures. It makes sense, but I didn't know this.

Maybe changing my max texture load to 1024 will also be good idea!
Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark