Author Topic: FSX crashes to desktop when calling up the GSX menu  (Read 3044 times)

mynetdude

FSX crashes to desktop when calling up the GSX menu
« on: June 17, 2013, 11:03:32 am »
There is another thread I found via Google, I did everything it said to do there and that was to remove GSX, remove the .dll that says esellerate from 3 places so I did that and then I reinstalled and I still have the same problem I did get the recent update yesterday but GSX worked fine all day yesterday and it worked earlier today and then tonight it doesn't.

I should also note, no AV (anti virus) is installed so there is no AV to block the install or use of FSDT programs or sceneries.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FSX crashes to desktop when calling up the GSX menu
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 02:01:01 pm »
If FSX quits (it's not a crash, it's a quit, if it was a crash, you would see a crash message, this is a clean quit instead) to Desktop, there are ONLY two possible explanations:

- Some of the Esellerateengine.dll files are outdated, due to other products you installed that came with the old version.

OR

- The bglmanx.dll file doesn't match the bglmanx*.dat files that comes with it. Since they are all downloaded online when you install any of our products, it's not possible to get the wrong files by mistake, because they are both downloaded together.

UNLESS

A program you installed, an antivirus, a firewall, an anti-spyware, etc, has mistakenly blocked the download of the bglmanx.dll, so you are stuck with the old version, which will quit to Desktop if the updated bglmanx*.dat files are found, because .dat file will never be blocked.

Another possible cause, is your FSX.EXE has being corrupted/altered compared to the original file from Microsoft.

mynetdude

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 07:53:59 pm »
you call it quit, I call it CTD for many years the industry has called it CTD not just for MSFS

now... odd thing is; it works now I don't know why but reinstalling it twice didn't seem to help though I ran ccleaner (I needed to anyway) I figured removing the fsx.cfg would solve the problem; I guess I could arbitrarily say it did but then that's when the real crashes happened (so according to you) I was getting countless BSODs unrelated to your product; so I decided to put the fsx.cfg back and voila!!!!!

I don't know how so many things can go wrong in a short span less than 24hrs or 18hrs dayum.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 10:11:39 pm »
you call it quit, I call it CTD for many years the industry has called it CTD not just for MSFS

The "industry" might wrongly call this a crash as much as they want, but it doesn't change the fact that, if the reason was a mismatch between the Addon Manager .DLL and the related .DAT files, in that case IS a proper and clean Quit, which is intentionally made.

I figured removing the fsx.cfg would solve the problem; I guess I could arbitrarily say it did but then that's when the real crashes happened (so according to you) I was getting countless BSODs unrelated to your product; so I decided to put the fsx.cfg back and voila!!!!!

It's difficult to say what the problem really was, without having a look at your previous FSX.CFG.

But in theory yes, a corrupted FSX.CFG, for example with a syntax error, an illegal command or comment, or a parameter without its boundaries, might probably crash FSX itself, but even the Addon Manager (both can be confused by something wrong in the FSX.CFG) could possibly crash because of it.

mynetdude

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 10:47:57 pm »
I agree, its possible the fsx.cfg could have been the culprit; what's odd though is that I removed it thinking that this would solve the problem so it would generate a new .cfg; but it would not hence I was getting BSODs then I was about to give up and put the .cfg back in and it worked (its the same .cfg that was giving problems to begin with) so in theory it may not be the .cfg but who knows like you said).

I'm just glad it works for now.